Which Manufacturer Brought out the First Big Sleeper Cab?

Only being a whippersnapper(32) :laughing: , and new to hgv( 18 mnths).

Just wondered who bought out the first “proper” big sleeper cab?

And does anyone have pics of them?

Clarky:
Only being a whippersnapper(32) :laughing: , and new to hgv( 18 mnths).

Just wondered who bought out the first “proper” big sleeper cab?

And does anyone have pics of them?

The earliest one i can remember was the daf spacecab, dont have a pic so borrowed this one.

depends what you mean by big vovlo had the f88 then the f10 but like the reply above daf did have a large sleeper even on there flat cab

the one and only of course - volvo gobstopper came out in 1979 IIRC well before anyone else :sunglasses:

what do you mean by big cab as in high roof or flat floor no hump
d1000 twin seat
aec v8 mandator flat floor
merc 1418/1924/big cab flat floor
transcon flat floor big cab
but i think the first has to go to the maggie with a mini topline cab and gear stick on the handlebars making the cab more easy to get across

Basically a big sleeper…

just curious, been looking around at some old pics and just interested in the veteran truckers opinions of the first proper sleeper cabs.

And that is a nice newsome truck!

Am I right in thinking they still about? :confused:

Ive seen a photo of a steam lorry with a twin bunk sleeper, … really, no windscreen but 2 pretty wide bunks! :laughing:

LOL…

in built fridge for the tinnies then?

I seem to remember the ERF,s with the “Continental” Steel Cabs and the “Scammell Crusader” in the early 70,s then there was the Seddon Atkinson 400 series (the one that the gear lever came out of it,s socket when you went round bends !!!) . :blush: :blush: :blush:

When this happened you had to stop and jack the cab up to let it drop back in to the socket on the gear change unit :blush: :blush: :blush: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Bring back them thar good old days :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :wink: :wink: :wink: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

That sounds like fun NEJ?

remember my grandad takin me out in his old seddon…

got the pics somewhere!

The first factory offering which wasn’t a flat-top was the ERF B-Series - first made available in 1978, prior to which the only sleeper option was the Jennings conversion for day-cabbed motors.

Prior to that, Leyland and AEC Ergomatic models could have raised-roof sleeper cab adaptations:

[/img]

Borderer:
Ive seen a photo of a steam lorry with a twin bunk sleeper, … really, no windscreen but 2 pretty wide bunks! :laughing:

Yeah I know the one, put it up mate. :wink:

I cant remember where it is Steve! :laughing: :laughing:

kenworth

It was fun “Clarky” as the b***** gear lever “Always” popped out when you were going round a corner or a roundabout and the worst thing was it always came out in whatever gear you were in and locked solid so you were b********* :blush: :blush: :blush: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

You were then stuck in something like 5th gear and a full (32 ton load wow :grimacing: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: ) and trying to get the wretched thing to move and no cogs except 5th was a b***** nightmare but apart from that and the fact that the cab locking bolts used to come out and the cab tilted by itself (this was rectified after a driver was killed by a cab tilting itself, by fitting a locking pin to the bolt on instructions from the Seddon Atkinson Factory they were a fairly decent motor to drive even without an “Air Suspension” seat) :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :wink: :wink: :wink:

In them thar days we didn,t have night heaters you had your own ways of heating yourself up (I will leave that one to your imagination) preferably female :blush: :blush: :blush: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Borderer:

Here it is mate. :stuck_out_tongue:

Better than a Stralis :smiling_imp:

DAFMAD:

Borderer:

Here it is mate. :stuck_out_tongue:

Better than a Stralis :smiling_imp:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

(zb) me…are they dead!!! :open_mouth: :laughing:

LMFAO!

where can i get one?

Rock n roll Steve, thats the kiddie drivers were tough geezers back then, no poncy mattresses just an army blanket and a jug of grog,
well i say thats the earliest so far, It’s a twin bunk sleeper and dead old! :laughing: