Which Manufacturer Brought out the First Big Sleeper Cab?

A Marathon or Cammel Crusader were a big cab in their day, as was a Ford Transcontinental, but a nice B series with a 320 ■■■■■■■ took some beating for space and speed

Wow,

Wheel, some old girls in them pics!

Great, thanks.

Someone posted a pic on here some time ago when the question of early sleeper cabs came up,and I mentioned that in the early '70’s,when I was pushing a Mk 2 Atki,in Southampton I saw an Atki with a German Krupp cab on.

bullitt:

DAFMAD:

Borderer:
I cant remember where it is Steve! :laughing: :laughing:

Here it is mate. :stuck_out_tongue:

Better than a Stralis :smiling_imp:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

(zb) me…are they dead!!! :open_mouth: :laughing:

Blimey NO Curtains, one thing that had we all needed was instant hot water straight out of the boiler, you didn’t even have to get out of bed to make your cuppa.

my 2600 daf in 1971 was a sleeper cab.

Alan

I think that pic of the steamer answers the OP quite well.
I’m a tad surprised that nobody has mentioned the Bedford TK, which to me at just 5’ 7" had the perfect sleeper cab.
Park the front near a wall or in a corner, then the heat from the engine would keep my bed warm whilst I got to sleep.:grimacing:

Little Al:

bullitt:

DAFMAD:

Borderer:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

(zb) me…are they dead!!! :open_mouth: :laughing:

Blimey NO Curtains, one thing that had we all needed was instant hot water straight out of the boiler, you didn’t even have to get out of bed to make your cuppa.

my 2600 daf in 1971 was a sleeper cab.

Alan

If that is an old sentinel steamer it aint even got windows so why worry about curtains

First proper wide bed was the Scania 110.

DAFMAD:

Borderer:

Brilliant photo DAFMAD, my mother told me years ago that my Grand dad used to drive a steam lorry when she was a kid. He used to drive for a big cotton mill in Salford mainly to Manchester Docks and some times Liverpool Docks. On his way back to the mill in the evening , he would blow the steam whistle when he passed the bottom of the street where he lived. This was a signal for Grand ma to start making his tea.
I have only just realised, that I suppose haulage is in me and my brothers blood.

They must of been tough lads in those days, I bet you never heard them complain about not having a night heater. :smiley:

Thanks and apologies from me, go to Viking for that photo

Thank you Viking :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I think the Globetrotter was the first really roomy cab. Anybody could stand up in it and walk around.
But the trouble with Volvo bunks was always that cut out bit at the top and the bottom - just where you need extra room for arms and knees! What idiot designed those?

The best bunks in my opinion were - and still are - the Daf bunks. Plenty wide enough with that little lip to make sure you did not fall out. :laughing:
We used to have one with a ‘Middle East’ cab with a cooker and sink between the two seats. Brilliant.

I agree the Daf bunks were good, but when I first got my 3300 I wanted as much room as possible so took the mattress from the top bunk which I folded away and put it on top of the lower which rested on the floor of the cab. Thought it would make it even more comfy. For some reason though the combination of those 2 shaped mattresses gave me terrible backache and it wasn’t 'till I singled them up again that I got a good night’s sleep.

it wasn’t 'till I singled them up again that I got a good night’s sleep.

Hmmm! Maybe the manufactuers do know best in some cases then Spardo :confused:

So what’s your votes on the best/worst bunks?
Best for me: Scania 4series Topline (once you got in!)
Worst: Merc 1625 1/2 sleeper.

Best bunk for me was the Transcon. Once I had removed the original bunk and a :laughing: nice wooden frame with cupboards under was constructed and a sprung mattress inserted. Slept like a baby. :laughing:

best nights kip is in a scania thats the best bed and not far behind that is the daf but the curtains let the daf down to much light coming through.
and the worst is the austrian hino a true pig.

Worst bed?

Easy two boards across from the window ledges onto the engine cover you had to make sure you locked both the doors for if someone opened one you shot out like a sack!!

I got fed up of that arrangement so in 77 converted my AEC Mercury flat into a sleeper felt like I was driving my frontroom around for a couple of weeks!! LOL

Regards Pat

Not a bad bit of roping and sheeting nipper.Although Tir Original would run it down.saying “Your sheet isn’t tight enough” Perfectionist :unamused:

Absolutely ! All dolly’s to be the same hieght and no creases in the sheet.
Reckon I was the only driver to load wool out of 102 berth and when roped and sheeted would look like a tilt. (well thats what they tell me. ha ha)
But I had a good teacher, my dear old dad,

Loaded wool out of 102 berth for Bradford.On the way up the A34 saw two of Darbishires laying quietly on their sides.Only one way to load wool.Carefully and rope it down properly. :laughing: