Where is the wage increase?

I just stumbled on a vacancy and it seems all the hype about hgv salaries going up was all a stunt. The salary seems to have dropped back again

Who is the right mind would apply for this?

Driver – Days Class 1 HGV / LGV

QS Recruitment

106 reviews

Lichfield

Job details

Salary

£9 an hour

Full Job Description

Job Description

If you’re a qualified and hard working class 1 driver who wants career progression, full time hours, immediate starts, weekday shifts AND the chance to earn up to £630 a week then we want to hear from you!.
We are recruiting on behalf of a well-established produce company based in Lichfield. This role requires you to deliver food produce to the distribution centres throughout the UK’s leading supermarkets in refrigerated lorries. No handball is required.

Experience & Qualifications

The ideal candidate must have; • A full UK valid C+E Licence • Experience with refrigerated trucks • Minimum 12 months experience in a similar role within the UK • A current CPC and Digital Tacho Card

Duration:

This is an ongoing role offering full time hours.

Hourly Rate:

The rate of pay is £9.00 per hour with an increase to £10.50 per hour for Umbrella Companies.

Working hours:

This role requires you to work Monday to Friday with a start time between 04:30 and 08:00 for an average of 10 hours.

Closing date:

22nd Nov 2021

QS Recruitment

Today

Just as “low information voters” supposedly returned Biden with the biggest winning vote tally over Trump in 2020, despite Trump getting the biggest vote tally of any sitting president seeking re-election…
…“Low information Jobseekers” - think £9.00 is the “going rate”, because they are pig-ignorant of the actual fluctuations in the REAL jobs market.

Think if you were an EE recently arrived in the UK… All your countryfolk already here - are doing minimum waged jobs left, right, and center…
You don’t get to see outside your “Shed with a bed” abode on the farm/factory/whatever, and since you don’t live in a council place, you don’t have any contact with the authorities, neither.

Maybe “Employer” is mickey mousing your entire working contract?

Either way, - you see an ad in the press - you take it for Gospel.

The only thing that surprises me here - is why they didn’t bother to put “English need not apply” and put the ad in Romansh, Polska, etc. instead…

But surely it is because of the rate that they are having to advertise, they aren’t going to get any takers on that (hopefully) and in a week or two the same job will be advertised at an acceptable rate or the company will fold due to lack of staff neither outcome being a bad result

There will always be the otherwise useless/unemployable who no sensible employer would touch with a bargepole.

Not so sure about the EE lads being the target of these ads (again unless utterly useless), the many i know are well switched on about the realities of work/pay/life and up to date on communications, more so than most of the natives.

They’ll get the standard of driver they deserve, which will end up costing them probably far more than paying a decent rate and cherry picking from worthwhile applicants, bodyshops will gain, compensation lawyers will gain, the company will lose out as will their customers, the otherwise unemployable driver having added to the trail of destruction left in his wake will move on to the next no hope job.

You would get benefits , I can’t speak for now but years ago drivers wouldn’t work any o/t coming up to there yearly benefits review , I worked with a lad with 5 kids & hed only work 30 hrs pw as it affected his benefits if he did more hours
As for the actual wage & the suggestion you couldn’t live on it , I’m sorry times have changed , there are very few families where both adults don’t work , me & my mrs have a nice paid for house , 2 nice cars , before COVID a minimum of 2x2 week hols abroad & savings , investments , pensions & I earnt that hourly rate for years , pea nuts & buttons apparently .
If you can’t live on a wage of £600 pw it says more about you than the firm

Advertising £9/hr and getting someone for £9/hr are two entirely different things.

weekday shifts AND the chance to earn up to £630 a week then we want to hear from you!

This kind of job advert tomfoolery really grinds my gears…

My ethos is, if they really have to SELL it to me, it ain’t that good.

In a normal industry, my first thought is, if the position is open, that means somebody left it, the more they sell it the less I’m interested to be honest. I’d prefer people to be straight with others, I think they’d get further that way in all honesty…

As for driving, I guess they don’t get the memo. Not sure how 9quid an hour can get you over 600quid a week but maybe my maths is failing me on that one…

At least the wage was part of the advert, all too often you just see “competitive rates of pay” :unamused:

Mcdonalds is £9 per hour. And if you work nights it jumps to £11.

Zac_A:
At least the wage was part of the advert, all too often you just see “competitive rates of pay” :unamused:

You’re right on that…

adam277:
Mcdonalds is £9 per hour. And if you work nights it jumps to £11.

And you don’t have to pay 3grand for a licence to work there either!

flammen:
As for driving, I guess they don’t get the memo. Not sure how 9quid an hour can get you over 600quid a week but maybe my maths is failing me on that one…

it doesnt but if you divide 630 by 60 you get £10.50 but of course you will never earn that as that is the umbrella rate so you will get even less than what ever the take home on 540 is plus holiday pay

Companies that advertise these rates are the lowest of the low. the drivers that accept these rates are even lower than that…and stupid.

On the other hand, Sainsbury’s Wincanton at Swan valley Northampton are about to receive a 25% pay rise, taking the base rate to £18 per hour.

Link to local rag.

That’ll put the willies up a few local hauliers. We already lost a few lads to them a few months ago.

ezydriver:
On the other hand, Sainsbury’s Wincanton at Swan valley Northampton are about to receive a 25% pay rise, taking the base rate to £18 per hour.

Link to local rag.

That’ll put the willies up a few local hauliers. We already lost a few lads to them a few months ago.

A mate who lives locally applied and quickly withdrew when the only shifts available were… not great for him.

toonsy:

ezydriver:

Link to local rag.

A mate who lives locally applied and quickly withdrew when the only shifts available were… not great for him.

I’ve always know them to be any 5 from 7. I wouldn’t touch them unless I could do 4 on 4 off.

It’s double the wage from the job advert in the OP though. Worth a punt for someone who doesn’t mind the shift pattern.

ezydriver:

toonsy:

ezydriver:

Link to local rag.

I’ve always know them to be any 5 from 7. I wouldn’t touch them unless I could do 4 on 4 off.

It’s double the wage from the job advert in the OP though. Worth a punt for someone who doesn’t mind the shift pattern.

Yeah true. That’s base rate pay aswell, it’s higher for lates/weekends too

toonsy:

ezydriver:

toonsy:

ezydriver:

Link to local rag.

Yeah true. That’s base rate pay aswell, it’s higher for lates/weekends too

Of which there will be many :laughing:

Beware of the ‘cut and paste’ job adverts. This is where the lazy agencies cut and paste bits of other job adverts (not always their own). You know the sort - where you see a trunking job advertised and halfway through the advert it mentions unloading cages into shops. :open_mouth:

This particular agency mentioned by the poster, is well known for posting jobs with very poor pay rates, misleading or wholly incorrect information within the adverts they put out and still expecting folks in the current labour shortage to put up with crud like unpaid inductions etc.

Unfortunately there is generally no regulation on how recruitment agencies operate, but the best payback is them losing money by behaving like idiots.

our Customer,who pays our wages on our contract at dhl,has this year gave us two increase’s of @ 2.5k,putting our salary up to over £38k…works out at £15.50 ph,plus for the first time ever…‘dark’ money! :astonished:
it’s M-F no weekends,and still struggling to attract new driver’s.

Winseer:
Just as “low information voters” supposedly returned Biden with the biggest winning vote tally over Trump in 2020, despite Trump getting the biggest vote tally of any sitting president seeking re-election…
…“Low information Jobseekers” - think £9.00 is the “going rate”, because they are pig-ignorant of the actual fluctuations in the REAL jobs market.

Think if you were an EE recently arrived in the UK… All your countryfolk already here - are doing minimum waged jobs left, right, and center…
You don’t get to see outside your “Shed with a bed” abode on the farm/factory/whatever, and since you don’t live in a council place, you don’t have any contact with the authorities, neither.

Maybe “Employer” is mickey mousing your entire working contract?

Either way, - you see an ad in the press - you take it for Gospel.

The only thing that surprises me here - is why they didn’t bother to put “English need not apply” and put the ad in Romansh, Polska, etc. instead…
UK firms advertise thousands of jobs in Romania despite growing jobless toll | This is Money

Yeah but biden got more votes than trump - practically a landslide.