Where is my money for furlough?

MORE BITTER RANTINGS.

I know people who were off work for around a year and was given around £2500 a month.
Sat on their ■■■ doing ■■■■ all for no good ■■■■ reason because the leaders of our country followed the science
While I worked during the pandemic, I got zero handouts.

Where is the money or even tax breaks for the poor sods that did not get given £20k+ in free money that apparently they do not even have to pay back…
spectator.co.uk/article/was … ver-spent/

So the figure was apparently around £70bn in cost. And all it has resulted in was massive inflation which has impacted me and everyone else that did work.

Sour grapes. :grimacing:

I do not get how people do not end up in prison for wasting so much tax payer money. Considering we now know how much of a massive over reaction we had to the covid pandemic. Not to mention how we ■■■■■■ up the education of a ton of children… all for protecting people who could of self isolated.

I was never furloughed so consequently never benefited from this “free” money. I knew however that at some point the piper would need paying. I’m certainly no economist but it was obvious to me that the simple way to recoup the money would be to raise the tax burden by say 10% for those who received furlough payments until the full amount that they received had been paid back.

I don’t see why those who never received something should contribute towards the cost of those who did.

Couldn’t agree more maoster

You can’t really blame the drivers as in most cases the companies made the decision who was furloughed, who wasnt
I know I was on agency & not furloughed yet company drivers were , a lot were really ■■■■■■ off at only getting only 80% of there normal wage , in a lot of cases it was a sight more they were loosing than 20% of there normal wage as they wernt getting 70/80 hrs on the sofa , extra shifts etc, one lad told me he was loosing £300 pw being furloughed, not happy ,

the maoster:
I was never furloughed so consequently never benefited from this “free” money. I knew however that at some point the piper would need paying. I’m certainly no economist but it was obvious to me that the simple way to recoup the money would be to raise the tax burden by say 10% for those who received furlough payments until the full amount that they received had been paid back.

I don’t see why those who never received something should contribute towards the cost of those who did.

Well to be honest it would be unfair (somewhat) because they did not ask the government to shut down their place of work.
It’s a crap situation to be honest.

But yea, we are certainly paying the price now… I feel like crying every time I walk into Tesco/Aldi/ASDA and I get to the checkout and see a huge bill that is now at least 2x / 3x what it would of been only a few years ago.
They say food inflation is around 20%… Maybe on wholesale produce but that knock on effect has shot everything up considerably.

What grinds my gears even more is we gave BORIS a huge majority just before the pandemic… because of Corbyn. It was feared Corbyn would of bankrupt the country… would of introduced a universal basic income and a load of other crazy ideas… Why did the tory party do it lol? The Tories are meant to be frugal…
facebook.com/GBNewsOnline/v … 510251941/

And I quite liked Boris lol. but yea he ■■■■■■ up… I don’t think he should of been ousted over whatever party he had. He should of been ousted for the lockdowns…

Where do you think the “inflation” started?

Too many people with time on their hands with free money to spend…

Even now you’ll notice an all-time high of fancy SUVs and 4x4s on the roads, people taking foreign holidays like they’re going out of fashion, and of course “refusing to take jobs” in the UK, leaving the UK still needing EEs to come and do our jobs for us…

As everyone knows, I moaned extensively about the furlough money NOT going out to everyone who got stood down during the lockdown as it could and should have been…

Now this time has come to “Pay the Piper” - all we mortals can do to side-step the bill which we never partook of - is cut your working hours so that your total pay just drops UNDER the new treshold for higher taxes…

“A Life-work Balance” needs to be fulfilled here, I reckon…

Who really wants to work 60-80 hour weeks to earn the same level of disposable income as they did 5 years ago?

2018:

Mortgage payment might be £150 a month
Car Finance payment might be £300 a month.
Food shop for 2 adults and 2.2 kids - £400 a month.
Dual-Fuel energy bill - £80 a month.
Rent: £900 a month

2023:
Mortgage Payment - £1150 a month
Car finance payment - £300 a month
Food shop - £900 a month
Dual Fuel Energy Bill - £400 a month
Rent: £1000 a month…

Guess what folks? If you are renting AND you got furloughed - you became MILES better off than everyone else during the lockdown, and now of course beyond as well!

Notice no increase in car finance payments neither…

So…Most people are going to go for more stuff that has NOT risen in price, rather than sacrifice “unnecessary spending” to meet the higher overheads that don’t actually affect students, generation rent, and of course people living on tick all along…

I gave up drinking alchohol during the lockdown, partly because I couldn’t afford it, but also for the better reason that it was starting to make me feel ill…

I’d already given up foreign holidays and smoking years before, so I can’t really blame the lockdown for that.

The main thing I have changed since 2020 though is “no more 55-60 hour weeks for me”. I’m happy doing 35-40 hours now, and intend to stay that way as long as I am able.

I’m sweating though that the mortgage rate might yet go up another 2% adding a further £200 a month to my mortgage payments…

The main saving I make is not working 6 shifts a week any longer, and going to/from work “out of rush hour” as to save fuel on that as well.

“What you don’t spend” is as good as “windfall cash” if you think about it. :bulb:

I’ve not included Vehicle Fuel, as that’s pretty much back where it started, 130-140p per litre range.

Leaving the party politics out of it,.and ignoring the fact that the o/p comes across as a very bitter man in this and other threads (just.an observation btw not an insult) I was one of the receivers of this free handout, and I fully understood it was not going to be actually free after all.when the dust settled.

Sorry to offend and annoy the o/p but I do not feel guilty in the slightest and I enjiyed the time off…and I have no qualms in saying that, so any flak bring it on I can take it. :sunglasses:

As a caveat I feel no guilt as I have paid into the system since I was 15, I have more than contributed to it in taxes, and all the rest of it, I have not blagged the NHS , or any other potential benefits,.apart from maybe going on the dole for 2 weeks after I went bust for breathing time to get sorted and dust myself off…even then I was not entitled to it for first few days presumably for not bring a life style full time scrounger but a regular worker. :smiley:

The going bust thing totally ■■■■ ed me (not after any sympathy nor gloating nor abuse btw as I am WELL over it before the usual crew grasp an oppotunity) it could have been avoided if the Govt dept of VAT had gave me a bit of time, but no chance, the first thing they took was my house,.the second was my gold plated pension.
So I personally console myself in the fact that I finally got a little bit back off the c…s :sunglasses:
As for the after effects of rising prices,.I have lived through 2 financial recessions, if it was not furlough and Covid there would be some other excuse to raise prices to ridiculous standards.
I also got a shock in Asda on mon shopping with the Mrs

Tell you what instead of aiming your frustrations on money wasted on furlough, and the likes of myself an indigenous tax paying working man, maybe take a look at the 6 million pounds a week 2 billion a year spent on illegal immigrants in their all inclusive life style who are at the opposite end of the spectrum to me in terms of contribution to the countrys coffers,…they have contributed the square root of jack sh!!

I’m sorry if some of you were not offered furlough and you were grafting while I was sat in the sun,.I do get the annoyance, but take that annoyance out of the higher echelons of the government that perpetrated it, not me…although got to reiterate I do not gaf if you do !.

My conscience is crystal clear on all this, if that offends anybody on here or anywhere else, tough sh . deal with it, I do not care !! :neutral_face:

adam277:

the maoster:

Well to be honest it would be unfair (somewhat) because they did not ask the government to shut down their place of work.
It’s a crap situation to be honest.

But yea, we are certainly paying the price now… I feel like crying every time I walk into Tesco/Aldi/ASDA and I get to the checkout and see a huge bill that is now at least 2x / 3x what it would of been only a few years ago.
They say food inflation is around 20%… Maybe on wholesale produce but that knock on effect has shot everything up considerably.

Boris came out of hospital, having apparently “survived Covid” a changed man, nonetheless…

I reckon the Deep State got to him during his “interrogation out of public gaze”, with all further pursuit of Brexit now dropped in favour of the Green Rollouts rather than “Levelling Up”…

When Boris said “The British People don’t give a monkeys about such tosh” - I reckon he had that right, oddly enough.
Since then, Sunak is trying to make us choose between Center-Left Keir Starmer, and Left of Center himself at the next election.

Boris can only make a comeback from this point IF…
(1) He cuts Ukraine loose, and drops this silly “Churchillian” thing whilst he’s at it.
(2) Get back to the serious business of Right-Wingness, especially when it comes to law and order enforced against those harming the public, rather than just using the law to harm the public, full stop. :unamused: :imp:
(3) He stands in a seat against wherever Nigel Farage is standing, as the mechanism for ensuring Farage automatically loses, would benefit a hatstand wearing a blue rosette in that area, most likely…

(4) Make peace with Russia, and sign up a cheap energy deal, in particular for LNG

(5) Wind-down our NATO liabilities
(6) Pull the plug on the Paris Accord
(7) Treat Biden badly, rather than as well as “Not My King” Charles did yesterday… His family is under investigation for all manner of actual crimes committed that originally the same people were unable to convict Trump of, don’t forget…
(8) Scrap the overseas aid budget. Britain cannot afford it any longer. We’re not an Empire any longer, and should stop acting at such great expense as if we are.

(9) Complete Brexit in the “No Deal” format, rather than this half-baked, half-finished monstrosity we currently live under, that pleases neither Remainer or Brexiteer… Not much “Unite the People” gonna come out of that - is there?

What grinds my gears even more is we gave BORIS a huge majority just before the pandemic… because of Corbyn. It was feared Corbyn would of bankrupt the country… would of introduced a universal basic income and a load of other crazy ideas… Why did the tory party do it lol? The Tories are meant to be frugal…
facebook.com/GBNewsOnline/v … 510251941/

And I quite liked Boris lol. but yea he [zb] up… I don’t think he should of been ousted over whatever party he had. He should of been ousted for the lockdowns…

Isn’t it strange too, that Corbyn couldn’t be elected "because of the notion he’d spend unlimited borrowed/printed money on the British People, whereas the Tories have done that AND MORE - for everyone BAR the British People, it seems…

The best bet for getting them all out of Westminster - is to vote for an outsider party, and “stop worrying about Labour getting in”.

Just vote against the Tories. FInd a party with no MPs currently that suits your tastes, and vote for them.

Trainspotters party, British Literal Democrats, Independents, Plaid Cymru, Kernow Independence, Reform, Remain UK, or anything else that takes your fancy. Just VOTE and NOT for the top three who have no answers, despite dozens of MPs each…
Forget the SNP as well - they are done now. I wonder why Sturgeon stood down when she did?
Are there new weapons about to be stationed in Scotland, and she got “warned off” trying to stop what is coming?

robroy:
Leaving the party politics out of it,.and ignoring the fact that the o/p comes across as a very bitter man in this and other threads (just.an observation btw not an insult)

Oh, your spot on. :grimacing:

Winseer:
Isn’t it strange too, that Corbyn couldn’t be elected "because of the notion he’d spend unlimited borrowed/printed money on the British People, whereas the Tories have done that AND MORE - for everyone BAR the British People, it seems…

The best bet for getting them all out of Westminster - is to vote for an outsider party, and “stop worrying about Labour getting in”.

Just vote against the Tories. FInd a party with no MPs currently that suits your tastes, and vote for them.

Trainspotters party, British Literal Democrats, Independents, Plaid Cymru, Kernow Independence, Reform, Remain UK, or anything else that takes your fancy. Just VOTE and NOT for the top three who have no answers, despite dozens of MPs each…
Forget the SNP as well - they are done now. I wonder why Sturgeon stood down when she did?
Are there new weapons about to be stationed in Scotland, and she got “warned off” trying to stop what is coming?

■■■■ I am agreeing with Winseer more and more haha. Maybe I am turning into a crackpot.

But yea, I mean for me… I do not care about Ukraine (Sorry lol).
We could just make peace with Russia, sign an energy deal and get a ton of chea oil/gas. Sticking the middle finger up to Biden as a bonus. Yea cut our NATO responsibilities while we are at it. Trump had the right idea when he said the vast majority of NATO countries do not even contribute the required amount and it is just the USA acting as the world police.

I don’t give a ■■■■ about global power plays. I just want reasonably priced food, water, fuel and goods. Far as I am aware the state is still having to subsidize the cost of fuel for everyone which is frankly nuts.

Also Rob, I am not bitter with you guys. If I was in your situation I would of done exactly the same and enjoyed every second of it. I also would be refusing to pay it back if the state ever had the balls to ask. The fault is solely with the ■■■■■ in charge.

download.jpg

adam277:

robroy:
Leaving the party politics out of it,.and ignoring the fact that the o/p comes across as a very bitter man in this and other threads (just.an observation btw not an insult)/quote]

Yep I can be that way myself, but I try and limit it telling myself what’s the point in frustration, preoccupation or even obsession with a subject if at the end of the day you can do ■■■■ all about that particular thing ,.and that the powers that be will do whatever tf they want anyways…I keep telling my mate Frangers this when he goes off on one about Brexit and the like.

Bit disappointed you agree with my previous reply btw. :laughing:

robroy:

adam277:

robroy:
Leaving the party politics out of it,.and ignoring the fact that the o/p comes across as a very bitter man in this and other threads (just.an observation btw not an insult)/quote]

Yep I can be that way myself, but I try and limit it telling myself what’s the point in frustration, preoccupation or even obsession with a subject if at the end of the day you can do [zb] all about that particular thing ,.and that the powers that be will do whatever tf they want anyways…I keep telling my mate Frangers this when he goes off on one about Brexit and the like.

Bit disappointed you agree with my previous reply btw. :laughing:

I spent £50 on a basket full of shopping. (A BASKET)
■■■■ yes, I am bitter.

I mean it is getting to the point that I might consider collecting coupons. If you knew me, you’d know I am not a coupon type of guy. I believe they are for stay at home wives and the elderly who have too must time on their hands :smiley:.

More angry ranting.

The other half says the cat likes a certain cat litter… Fair enough I’ll get what she tells me to get.
This is the cat litter I got told to get.

I almost shed a tear paying £16 for ■■■■■■■ cat litter lol.

After fighting my way through the crap in Winseers dissertation I sense an anti US vibe,.as well as from the o/p.
I never get the anti US feelings tbh.
I get the supremacist bit, but that is the nature of the beast.

Thing is imo there should always be an element of eternal gratitude towards the US, whether you like it or not…if it was not for the US we would all be speaking German and sticking out our right arms, then later on more than likely speaking Russian when the Nazis were ousted.
Frying pan and fire situation faced by East Germans in 1945.

So I think the status quo (morning Francis :smiley: ) is better than what the alternatives would have more than likely been in the UK or Germania or Soviet Btitainski.
So in my book the Yanks can do no wrong…

BTW O/p get rid of the cooking fat . :bulb:
You’re welcome :sunglasses:

No I mean ■■■■ cat. :laughing:

robroy:
After fighting my way through the crap in Winseers dissertation I sense an anti US vibe,.as well as from the o/p.
I never get the anti US feelings tbh.

I am team USA.
Just not a fan of the George Bush policy of giving every country freedom :grimacing:
youtu.be/h3jcmFNxRzQ

adam277:
[zb] I am agreeing with Winseer more and more haha. Maybe I am turning into a crackpot.

Winseer, CF, Sploom, and now you: TN’s very own Gang of Four (political reference from before your time)

adam277:
But yea, I mean for me… I do not care about Ukraine (Sorry lol).

Just like in the 1930s, many people didn’t care about Hitler, in the early stages…

We need to help Ukraine fight Putin in their backyard, it we don’t, we’ll be fighting him in our back yard. There’s no “peace deal” that can be made with a maniacal dictator.

adam277:
I don’t give a [zb] about global power plays. I just want reasonably priced food, water, fuel and goods. Far as I am aware the state is still having to subsidize the cost of fuel for everyone which is frankly nuts.

I realise you’re young, but even my 15 year old understands that food and fuel inflation is up because of the wider global political situation.

But, to be fair, you’re not out of keeping with TN tradition, drivers complaining about things they don’t understand in sufficient detail, yet believing they have all the answers. Have you bought into all the conspiracy theories yet? Maybe Sploom can help you “see the light” and be “saved”? :laughing: :laughing:

Zac_A:
Just like in the 1930s, many people didn’t care about Hitler, in the early stages…

We need to help Ukraine fight Putin in their backyard, it we don’t, we’ll be fighting him in our back yard. There’s no “peace deal” that can be made with a maniacal dictator.

^^^^^This big style.
I personally have no love nor connection with Ukraine, but I do sympathise with the situation and the people.
WW3 has been prevented since 1945, only because of NATO, fact.
They can not be seen to be a walkover thus sending the wrong message to the likes of the arse hole who is Putin.

Zac_A:

I feel like you guys have a short term memory.
WW3 was going to happen if Russia did not remove nukes from Cuba. Thankfully they did.
Now we have nukes surrounding Russia in Germany and in other European countries… (Pretty sure that was not part of the agreement when Russia left Germany and it got unified).
I just do not understand the double standards. We was willing to go to war with Russia over nukes on our doorstep yet we can do it with Russia and they are meant to roll over and take it?
Like with these cluster bombs… we condemned Russia for using them in Syria… now we are handing them over to Ukraine to use lol.

It just strikes me as the same selective blindness that is afforded to Israel lol. Yea, they can annex wherever they want and we do nothing about it because Palestinian refugees do not matter. But if Russia annexes parts of Ukraine… hang man we need GO TO WAR.

I am not going to relink what I already posted. But there was an agreement when the USSR fell. That was that NATO would not move its borders.

youtu.be/3wB9uL2lKaw - Gorbachev speaking sense in 97
youtu.be/HFGEhtnUzJQ

I’m not saying Russia is not a bad actor. But when the USSR fell. We could of extended an olive branch to Russia instead we surrounded them.

But ALL that aside. Let’s say ■■■■ what we agreed with Russia we want to surround you and make sure you do not do anything silly because we do not trust you. Ukraine can not win this war.
There is no almost a zero chance of Ukraine winning this war. Giving Ukraine more weapons does prolong the conflict and hurt Russia for sure. But if you check Russia’s economy they reduced their debt before going into the war and significantly increased their gold stockpiles. they are not going to go bankrupt from this war. So the only real option is Ukraine will win militarily. But even if they do push Russia back… You have Belarus who is Putin’s lap dog who can be called into action and they have around 4 million people fit for service and almost half a million active service personnel.

But let’s say Ukraine beats Russia back and Belarus if they step into the fray. Well that means the fall of Putin most likely. But if your praying on some rationale thinking guy like Gorbachev getting into power… Unlikely.
Chances are it will be someone like Yevgeny Prigozhin (the guy who marched towards Moscow). This is a guy who would have no qualms about cluster bombing Kyiv. He has been saying throughout the war that Russia has been fighting with its hands tied behind its back. Because believe it or not Putin has not been going all out. There have been atrocities for sure. But they have generally been more targeted and not indiscriminate. Just to be clear Russia has the capability to level Kyiv without nukes to ash. Putin clearly does not want to do that. I believe Prigozhin would do that in an instant just look at what he did with Bakhmut and that was with man power alone.

Maybe I am wrong though… but please tell me how Ukraine can win this war in a way that is good for anyone lol?
This is like the same argument about the removal of Gaddafi… Libya will be better without him… he a bad guy… and now Libya is a ■■■■■■■■ and a lawless cesspool like Somalia.

adam277:

Zac_A:

I feel like you guys have a short term memory.

:laughing: You said you left school in 2007, that makes you half my age, so my memories are far more extensive than yours.

adam277:
Maybe I am wrong though… but please tell me how Ukraine can win this war in a way that is good for anyone lol?

Like I say, we cannot afford to stand back and allow that to happen, because whatever it costs us to support Ukraine is peanuts compared to what it will cost us if we do not support them. Russia’s invasion has already changed the world, Finland is already in NATO, and Sweden in the process of joining, Ukraine will (one day) be the eastern-most border of NATO. Putin has shot himself in the foot big-style, like all dictators do eventually (see Operation Barbarossa for a comparison)