When to do manual entries?

eagerbeaver:
^^ Then you buy the coffee’s.

Like I always do when Maoster & Robroy do that patting the pockets & looking lost [zb]ing routine :unamused: :imp:

Oi, I have feelings too ya know! Obviously the ■■■■■■■■ doesn’t though.

In my first two to 3 jobs I didnt even have to do manual entries. Wasnt until I started working for the big supermarkets that I had to do manual entries.

So, if I was driving a van for a week I would not be doing manual entries.
I would keep records of my work in a diary though.
This is what the ‘?’ symbol in the tachograph is for.

the maoster:

eagerbeaver:
^^ Then you buy the coffee’s.

Like I always do when Maoster & Robroy do that patting the pockets & looking lost [zb]ing routine :unamused: :imp:

Oi, I have feelings too ya know! Obviously the ■■■■■■■■ doesn’t though.

He’s obviously forgotten that it’s HIS turn to pay for the meal next, and theres a lot of (expensive) Christmas specials coming up soon…so all this cheek and slander is doing him no ■■■■ good at.all. :bulb: :smiley:

Zac_A:
I don’t see any need to do a manual entry unless your company insist on it.

I certainly wouldn’t bother accounting for five minutes (more likely less) of picking up the keys and walking to the vehicle. If you’re going down that route then you’re probably wanting to include the couple of minutes it takes to drive through the gates and park your car before you pick up the keys.
Do you get paid for every single minute? Or are you (more likely) paid in 15 minute increments?

I work in 15 min stints and always do manual entries. Generally try to leave the cab with about 14 mins to go then do a manual entry the following shift to cover that time. Same in the morning. Clock on so to speak, arrive in truck, de covid it, card in manual entry then check it over. Simples.

stu675:

shullbit:

How can you make a false record if you don’t make a record in the first place.

What do you do when you insert your card at the start of shift and it says “want to do a manual entry?”

In my previous job i clicked NO then put it on other work and did my 5 minute walk round checks.

shullbit:

stu675:

shullbit:

How can you make a false record if you don’t make a record in the first place.

What do you do when you insert your card at the start of shift and it says “want to do a manual entry?”

In my previous job i clicked NO then put it on other work and did my 5 minute walk round checks.

+1

shullbit:
[q]

Does that give the “?” For the time since you ejected your card?

stu675:

shullbit:
[q]

Does that give the “?” For the time since you ejected your card?

If you make no entry, then the ? symbol will be displayed on any printout, written entries in my analogue diary to back up daily and weekly rest etc. Been stopped 3 times and never been questioned or given words of ‘‘advice’’ on this.

dan9471:
Hi Everyone,

I recently started working for a new company whom own a range of different size vehicles so one day i could be in a 7.5ton on tacho and the next I could be in a 3.5ton without needing to use my card.

My question is this, do I need to do manual entries when I return to a larger vehicle after say driving a 3.5 for a week? or even one day? I spoke to some other drivers who basically said no just leave it but I don’t want to fall foul to any rules etc, my other issue is that I’m away on holiday for a week so do I again need to make a manual entry for this upon my return?

We do clock in and out separate to using our tacho cards and we are told once we clock in we have 5 minutes to get our lorry keys and insert our cards etc and the same when taking them out we must clock out within 5 minute’s.

I hope all that makes some sense, if anyone could assist id be grateful.

Well I hope you don’t listen to the ones who say don’t bother , you’ll ■■■■ it up etc etc , it’s a legal requirement & if you don’t do them & get stopped as I did they’ll check everything , they spend 1 1/2 yrs investigating me & manual entries came up with vosa , compliance officer , ops manager , hr etc etc , I always have thank Christ so it was 1 less thing to worry about
Remember all these giving you the advice , don’t bother , will be nowhere to be seen when your in court , they won’t be in court paying your fine when your found guilty through there wrong advice you will
There a absolute piece of ■■■■ , I could do them with my eyes closed , if your not sure ask , I must of helped hundreds of drivers with them , showing them , I’m sure they’ll be someone where you work who will talk you through it , us older ones don’t bite , and won’t judge you for not knowing , we’ll just put you right

dozy:

dan9471:
Hi Everyone,

I recently started working for a new company whom own a range of different size vehicles so one day i could be in a 7.5ton on tacho and the next I could be in a 3.5ton without needing to use my card.

My question is this, do I need to do manual entries when I return to a larger vehicle after say driving a 3.5 for a week? or even one day? I spoke to some other drivers who basically said no just leave it but I don’t want to fall foul to any rules etc, my other issue is that I’m away on holiday for a week so do I again need to make a manual entry for this upon my return?

We do clock in and out separate to using our tacho cards and we are told once we clock in we have 5 minutes to get our lorry keys and insert our cards etc and the same when taking them out we must clock out within 5 minute’s.

I hope all that makes some sense, if anyone could assist id be grateful.

Well I hope you don’t listen to the ones who say don’t bother , you’ll [zb] it up etc etc , it’s a legal requirement & if you don’t do them & get stopped as I did they’ll check everything , they spend 1 1/2 yrs investigating me & manual entries came up with vosa , compliance officer , ops manager , hr etc etc , I always have thank Christ so it was 1 less thing to worry about
Remember all these giving you the advice , don’t bother , will be nowhere to be seen when your in court , they won’t be in court paying your fine when your found guilty through there wrong advice you will
There a absolute piece of ■■■■ , I could do them with my eyes closed , if your not sure ask , I must of helped hundreds of drivers with them , showing them , I’m sure they’ll be someone where you work who will talk you through it , us older ones don’t bite , and won’t judge you for not knowing , we’ll just put you right

Manual entries was not the reason they made an example of you though doze…was it?
The reason as you well know was your habitual disregard to the regs because you refused to tell Stobbie’s planners to go and ■■■■ themselves when they ran you ragged and took the ■■■■■ you prioritised on meeting their schedules over keeping your cards right.
So you took the consequences and they made a meal of it.
They would have gone through everything as they tend to do when they gave you by the balls.

I have been pulled by VOSA/DVSA,.and more than most I reckon.m when I was driving foreign reg trucks, my cards were always spot on much to their surprise (and disappointment) .
Then and since I have never been questioned about lack of manual entries.
Tbh the only time I do a one (and only recently I started it) is if I take my card out to download and maybe have a coffee on the way back to the truck, so despite your know all mate Conor’s view :unamused: , I do them when necessary.

Maybe you’re right and I’m wrong doze, my natural cavalier attitude prevents me from worrying about trivia, when others worry theircarses off about the sane thing…
Hey! maybe I should try and be more like you mate eh?. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Conor:
It’s not possible to do it correctly without doing a manual entry. You have to record the 5 minutes between getting keys and putting card in and the same for the end of the shift too.

I don’t think DVSA expect you to do this. The purpose of tachograph rules is to prevent working excessive hours to the detriment of road safety, not to micro-manage every minute of your waking life. My card goes in shortly after I climb into the truck and comes out shortly before I get out of it.

Harry Monk:

Conor:
It’s not possible to do it correctly without doing a manual entry. You have to record the 5 minutes between getting keys and putting card in and the same for the end of the shift too.

I don’t think DVSA expect you to do this. The purpose of tachograph rules is to prevent working excessive hours to the detriment of road safety, not to micro-manage every minute of your waking life. My card goes in shortly after I climb into the truck and comes out shortly before I get out of it.

But there’s only 3 choices when you insert your card.

1. Rest until now - only you know how accurate/legal that is
  2. “?” - and need the faff and effort of keeping a diary [emoji33]
  3. Do a simple manual entry.

Is that a correct assessment?

stu675:

Harry Monk:

Conor:

A diary is not that hard to keep and it’s a good habit.

adam277:

stu675:

Harry Monk:

Conor:

A diary is not that hard to keep and it’s a good habit.

Also an excellent place to staple any printout to the date when they occurred so you don’t mislay them.

A diary may well be easy to keep and a good habit to get into - but it doesn’t comply with the Regs as they apply to handwritten records (even if you tear the pages out every week or simply hand in photocopies).

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Has anybody been actually done for non manual entries?
I ain’t talking about serious gaps been left during the shift or when it is obvious a card has been taken out in order to move a truck on break or similar…ie deliberately falsifying, I m on about 2 to 5 mins before and/or after shifts or trivial stuff like that.
As Harry said regs are policed to catch the ■■■■■■■■■■■ and to pick up on downright illegal acts.
Any experience I have had when being stopped, they are looking for just that, and the odd misdemeanor or mistake has been either ignored, or pointed out with nothing else.
I think many read far too much into stuff like this, you get daft questions about should I enter this that and the other down on my days off, they think that DVSA VOSA the Mibistry or whatever OWN them because they have a licence. :unamused:

robroy:
I ain’t talking about serious gaps been left during the shift or when it is obvious a card has been taken out in order to move a truck on break or similar…ie deliberately falsifying, I m on about 2 to 5 mins before and/or after shifts or trivial stuff like that.
As Harry said regs are policed to catch the ■■■■■■■■■■■ and to pick up on downright illegal acts.
Any experience I have had when being stopped, they are looking for just that, and the odd misdemeanor or mistake has been either ignored, or pointed out with nothing else.
I think many read far too much into stuff like this, you get daft questions about should I enter this that and the other down on my days off, they think that DVSA VOSA the Mibistry or whatever OWN them because they have a licence. :unamused:

I havent been told off for not doing them but the one time i have been stopped they did say that it was good i had done them as it showed i was trying to keep clear records and as such just gave me advice on the 2 infringments i had. However they also suggested i kept a diary and wrote in it every day what i had done and any issues and why as well as writing the explination on the back of the print out so i could remember what the date was.

As they were being reasonable with me (and helpfull they showed me how to change a tacho roll) i didnt give them cause to change however i susspect ifthier attitude was different i susspect that i could of had all the records under the sun and they wouldnt of let me off the 2 infringments i had.

cooper1203:

robroy:

I havent been told off for not doing them but the one time i have been stopped they did say that it was good i had done them as it showed i was trying to keep clear records and as such just gave me advice on the 2 infringments i had. However they also suggested i kept a diary and wrote in it every day what i had done and any issues and why as well as writing the explination on the back of the print out so i could remember what the date was.

As they were being reasonable with me (and helpfull they showed me how to change a tacho roll) i didnt give them cause to change however i susspect ifthier attitude was different i susspect that i could of had all the records under the sun and they wouldnt of let me off the 2 infringments i had.

Way I see it is the amount of hours you drive over a week and year, you are bound to ■■■■ up in minor ways, nobody is infallible…
If I get an infringement I just sign the paper and do not give it a second thought, I’ve seen new drivers (and a few that should know better :unamused: ) worrying their arses off over petty things, it seems to be the common consensus that they are going to be come down on like that tonne of bricks, …we ain’t school kids ffs. :unamused: and ■■■■ happens.
All it does is build up that blood pressure towards your first heart attack, alongside teararsing around every week.