When the boss has got it in for you

… it’s time to search the ‘situations vacant’ columns right?

I know there are grievance procedures and laws against constructive dismissal, but in reality if your manager has a problem with you then you’re as good as fired.

My boss is finding fault with everything I do even to the point where he said I was sweeping the back of my truck out incorrectly (using the wrong sweeping motion with the broom), wrapping pallets in the wrong way, being lazy cos I had my hands in my pockets whilst waiting for a forklift driver to load the next pallet, telling me I need to do such and such when I am already doing such and such (you need to load your meat pallet next when I’m actually loading my meat pallet) etc etc.

This all started when he typed up a company notice stating that 7.5T and 3.5T are only allowed to do 60mph on an A road and I pointed out that A roads can be single carriage way as well as dual carriage way so maybe it would be better to word it as 60mph on a dual and 50mph on a single carriage way. I feel that because I pointed out that he had made a mistake he is punishing me. The ‘A road’ signs are still on every notice board by the way.

I’ve certainly made mistakes (got a tacho warning today … my fault went slightly over driving hours before a break), so when push comes to shove they can get rid of me legitimately, but the underlying reason will be because I pointed out he had made a mistake. He knows it, I know it and the directors know it, but it’s easier and cheaper to get rid of me.

I’ve kept a log of all my grievences for the last few months, but at the end of the day if they want you out then there doesnt seem like there’s much you can do.

And if I look for a new job what should I give as my reason for leaving? I love my job, its just my manager is making it hell. Cant say that in an interview.

A punch in the face will prove to be much more satisfying! :smiley:

Good luck mate hope it works out for yer!!

Thankfully I’ve never worked for one of these types but you’ve got to be one pathetic small minded fool to take issue with a driver pointing out such a simple thing. He must have a very dull life to behave that way!

give back as much as gives you. you have nothing to lose.
he is probably trying to see how far he can push you.
or you could pull a wire off the starter motor of his car, then when he is in a panic and can’t get home. tell him to put the kettle on while you sort it out for him.
then say something like, “i might be no good a brushing up, but i know my way round an engine”.

Squiddy:

I know there are grievance procedures and laws against constructive dismissal, but in reality if your manager has a problem with you then you’re as good as fired.

My boss is finding fault with everything I do even to the point where he said I was sweeping the back of my truck out incorrectly (using the wrong sweeping motion with the broom), wrapping pallets in the wrong way, being lazy cos I had my hands in my pockets whilst waiting for a forklift driver to load the next pallet, telling me I need to do such and such when I am already doing such and such (you need to load your meat pallet next when I’m actually loading my meat pallet) etc etc.

This all started when he typed up a company notice stating that 7.5T and 3.5T are only allowed to do 60mph on an A road and I pointed out that A roads can be single carriage way as well as dual carriage way so maybe it would be better to word it as 60mph on a dual and 50mph on a single carriage way. I feel that because I pointed out that he had made a mistake he is punishing me. The ‘A road’ signs are still on every notice board by the way.

I’ve certainly made mistakes (got a tacho warning today … my fault went slightly over driving hours before a break), so when push comes to shove they can get rid of me legitimately, but the underlying reason will be because I pointed out he had made a mistake. He knows it, I know it and the directors know it, but it’s easier and cheaper to get rid of me.

I’ve kept a log of all my grievences for the last few months, but at the end of the day if they want you out then there doesnt seem like there’s much you can do.

And if I look for a new job what should I give as my reason for leaving? I love my job, its just my manager is making it hell. Cant say that in an interview.

i had it at last job,went pear shaped big style,resulting in disiplinary meeting for zb up contract,i didnt bother going,jacked,last thing you want is SACKED on c.v,cant remember new job even asking why i was leaving,they were that desperate to fill seats ,but its not idea to leave jobs on those terms,you realise as you get a bit older its not clever .

You do a grievance because belive it or not you are being bullied.

Take your Manager to one side and clear the air with him. If that doesn’t work put your grievance in writing and hand it to someone more senior.

If you don’t like something change it.

W

AlexWignall:

Take your Manager to one side and clear the air with him. If that doesn’t work put your grievance in writing and hand it to someone more senior.

W

This^ British Man management! Why do they make life difficult for themselves! :unamused:

Blatant bullying. If there is a complaints procedure then use it against him!

i know the feeling :unamused:
i work in the amusement ind at the moment and my boss is a total nob , he more or less accused me of stealing £200 in £1 coins from a club , i had another member of staff ( his arse licker who tells him everything ) say i refused to do a job when all i asked was if some one could come and help me as i had a bad back and arm due to my company car seat being ■■■■■■
i even wrote a letter for him asking for the complaint in writing and the faults with my car but he didnt even aknolage that he had read it
but i will not jump id rather be pushed and like you i am keeping a log of every thing he moans at me about

hiya squiddy, bullying ia against the law ans contravenes health & safety at work act.
what i would do is.

1 take him to one side and tell him to stop his bullying.
2 tell him you have witnesses.
3 if it dont stop you will put in a grievence to the director ( head man )
4 if he dont stop tell him you will see him in court.

i can put a £10 note on it that he will stop.

as with the last post mate,
if hes getting that petty. ring him up and ask him politely to have a face to face meeting with you, ask him when your on your own if he has a problem with you and lets get it sorted here and now. no need to act aggresive or have a pop at him.
chances are he may wind his neck in if youve had it out with him. if not move on, lifes to short to be putting up with muppets like that…

Sorry to hear about this, even in this day and age and we’re all grown up some pricks love to put folk down. Been in a similar situation and if it happens again I’ll just do the ‘chat on the side’ approach, this would be my only time of being nice though. The next step should it continue would be violence or at least threats of. It’s not big nor clever, but with bully’s the only way to shut em up is a nice ‘in public’ air your views job and say if they carry on you can deal with it out of work etc so that folk know there’s more of an issue then just an employee having a go.
Best of luck with it.

One question that usually steadies them up is “Why are you trying to drive me out?”
If you wind up going down the “Grievance Procedure” route get advice from professionals (Union full time officers, Citizens Advice, et al)
Good Luck mate

AlexWignall:

W

This ^ +1 ( see my sig :open_mouth: :smiley: )

You don’t say, if you did I missed it, who you work for. if it is a smaller independent company then you might not get the same response as a major, multi contract, logistic employer. The reason being the in smaller company your boss could be a reasonably influential player whereas in a bigger company the first line managers tend to be at the bottom of the managerial food chain and may well be looking to climb the greasy pole. A more senior manager will probably back their man in front of you but take them aside later.

Try the informal “chat” first then if you need to take the grievance up in writing make sure that you say that informal discussions have failed to resolve the issue which is why you are escalating to a formal level. If you have a staff rep, union or company, get them involved as a witness or for moral support.

I’ve been in that place so sympathise with you.

Good luck.

OllieNotts:
Sorry to hear about this, even in this day and age and we’re all grown up some pricks love to put folk down. Been in a similar situation and if it happens again I’ll just do the ‘chat on the side’ approach, this would be my only time of being nice though. The next step should it continue would be violence or at least threats of. It’s not big nor clever, but with bully’s the only way to shut em up is a nice ‘in public’ air your views job and say if they carry on you can deal with it out of work etc so that folk know there’s more of an issue then just an employee having a go.
Best of luck with it.

Wot he said ^

I’ve only ever had it once after tranferring from a pit up north to one in the midlands. One deputy took an instant dislike & the taunts, jibes, constant crticisms etc carried on for weeks! He always had his mate with him (another deputy) so I was on a hiding to nothing.

Eventually I made a complaint to the personnel manager but, to be honest, this made things worse as the deputy found out & went ballistic…I never got a minutes overtime after + got all the ■■■■■■ jobs he could find (& some he made up!).

Don’t get me wrong, I can take banter & ■■■■■■■■■■■ it’s part of life but this was something totally different & it made going to work hell.

One day I was looking for something in a heading & there he was on his own, the 1st time I’d ever seen him without his mate… just me & him :slight_smile: Happy days.

I’ll never forget the look on his face when he saw me, it was almost worth the months of abuse I’d taken.

I don’t condone violence but sometimes it’s the only thing bullys understand & he got the message :wink:

I’m with OllieNotts, take him to one side & have a word pointing out the error of his ways & the possible consequences :wink:

I was in the same situation a few years ago with a supervisor, new job, new contract, he had hired in all the warehouse staff except me and two others who had been interviewed by someone else. He made it clear from day one he didn’t like us three, making petty remarks and saying we weren’t working hard enough, had us up for the chop as we were all on the three month probation period.

After a few weeks of this I went in see the manager about his attitude towards us, he was a decent guy, said no need to put a grevience in I’ll sort it. Next day the supervisor pulls me to one side and apologised for his attitude, he was just trying to see how far he could push us and I had responded well or something like that. I heard he had got a dressing down from the manager which he didn’t like. Saved me from getting the chop unlike the other two who left at the end of the three months.

Sadly that was not the end of it though, all was well til about a year later when the decent manager left and the supervisor became the manager, and one of his friends became supervisor. Soon the pettiness started again, I was given crap jobs and threatened with disciplinary for the silliest things. It was clear it was time to get out and started my HGV training.

Two weeks before I passed my class 2 I snapped and pinned the supervisor against a wall, he went off and told the manager and I was up for a disciplinary. Knowing I would be sacked I played my last hand, he didn’t know I was still in the union from my old work, turned our there had to be an investigation and interviews conducted between both sides regarding the incident before any disciplinary, my union rep was busy so i couldnt do any interview with him attending for a couple of weeks, so I was suspended on full pay til then, plus I had two weeks holiday after that :wink:

So when I finally came back for the interview all I did was hand in my notice and say goodbye :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the replies. Whilst I fantasize about violence, it is simply not the answer. Instant dismissal and a criminal record won’t help anything.

My problem is that by going through the proper channels or taking him to one side for a quiet chat will simply make things worse. If I make an official complaint I will get labelled a trouble maker and my days will be numbered. My company use the FIFO style of management. Fit In or ■■■■ Off. If I have a quiet chat he will say I’m being paranoid and then log every mistake I make to add another nail to my coffin. eg last week I noted that I had topped up with 3 litres of oil on the vehicle log sheet and then I heard 2nd hand that he had said that if I had to add oil it means that I hadn’t been doing my vehicle checks. WTF! :open_mouth:

Going to try to lay low, keep my head down and avoid the jerk to see if it blows over. If it doesn’t then I will have a word with a sympathetic director. If that doesn’t work then it’s time to move on.

You have in writing that he is telling you to do 60mph on an A road, that should be enough to get him into the deepest of doodoo. Report him for ordering you to break the law. :smiling_imp:

Squiddy:

Had the same thing at my place mate, i recently got the sack from my job by a manager who joined the company after me. From the day he joined he never liked me & i hated him. Got caught up in a road rage incident, I had done nothing wrong but this guy rang my company saying i had ran him off the road. I got the sack but like you i like my job. Its outbased, hours suit me, jobs a breeze & plenty of driving in a day, plus wage is ok.

To cut a long story short i put in an appeal & also told him i was gonna take it to a tribunal. I won my appeal & got my job back. Having said this manager was picking on me he now has to be very careful with how he treats me.

If you like your job then stand up for what is right & dont let these dumb ■■■■ managers push you around & force you out. Good luck whatever you do

Hey tyler4164, good to hear you won your appeal and got yer job back :smiley:

Regards
Dave Penn;