When I see job ads like this I'm glad I voted Leave

Just looking through the jobs adds as you do and saw this. :unamused:

indeed.co.uk/cmp/Class1Drive … HGV+Driver

That sort of positive discrimination really boils my ■■■■. Could you imagine the lefties uproar if the ad was for a British driver resourcer :imp:

We’ve got people in our office that speak Polish or such like because of the amount of Eastern Euro drivers we have.

It makes me glad that I live in Peterborough it’s nice to see local jobs for local people.

Tris:

Can’t really see what your problem is… they have asked for an individual with a specific skillset i.e. languages… they have not said it must be a Polish or Lithuanian national,
what if the successful applicant was a British national with multi linguistic capabilities, would that appease you…■■
its only the same as an employer specifying that a driver must hold an ADR licence or must have experience of bulk tippers etc etc…

Advert does not breach any legislation whatsoever :smiley:

scoobyears:

Tris:

Can’t really see what your problem is… they have asked for an individual with a specific skillset i.e. languages… they have not said it must be a Polish or Lithuanian national,
what if the successful applicant was a British national with multi linguistic capabilities, would that appease you…■■
its only the same as an employer specifying that a driver must hold an ADR licence or must have experience of bulk tippers etc etc…

For me it’s the wording of the advert, implying that they are interested in recruiting only Eastern European staff. If the advert stated they were trying to recruit a bilingual recruitment consultant, I’d agree with you. It’s not about the recruitment for this job, more the company policy the ad implies

The only real problem I have with that advert is the appalling grammar… :grimacing:

That said, I’m sure really they are looking for a polish applicant as, generally, a polish national would probably understand regional dialects and slang much better than a pure taught linguist.

:unamused:

OVLOV JAY:

scoobyears:

Tris:

For me it’s the wording of the advert, implying that they are interested in recruiting only Eastern European staff. If the advert stated they were trying to recruit a bilingual recruitment consultant, I’d agree with you. It’s not about the recruitment for this job, more the company policy the ad implies

Agreed! And the company’s motive probably being that they can get away with paying them less…
Thus having a knock on effect to us UK drivers being ubcompetitive on price unless we join the race to the bottom! :cry:

Not that it could get much worse, and while this is a VAN drivers job, Argos would like to pay as little as possible. :imp:
careerbuilder.co.uk/INTL/Job … c&show=yes
So if you’re under 25 they don’t even pay you £7.20 an hour…

OVLOV JAY:

Ironically the implication for the OP is that the East Euro immigration agenda is actually going to intensify on the basis of beating any potential Brexit free movement cut off point.Bearing in mind May has obviously issued no statements concerning retrospective repatriation of such immigration.

It also implies they are looking to recruit Eastern Europeans who don’t speak any English. That’s brilliant when it comes to reading warning signs, or for compliance with different depots h&s rules.

Job recruitment advertisements should be written in correct English, otherwise they are an insult to those who may wish to apply for the position. But then never mind, they weren’t expecting any replies from native English speakers were they?

“We are currently looking for_ part time Recruitment Consultant (resourcer) to join our team in _ Peterborough office. As Resourcer you will be looking after our client based ]same as[/u] looking for HGV Class 1 drivers. You will need to ensure that candidates we provide to the customer meets their requirement_ to the highest standards.”

Be on call when needed
Be prepared to stay on the phone in the the evenings and weekends

Job Type: Part-time

Doesn’t sound part time.

Part time hours paid. Full time hours expected. No salary mentioned - even a pro rata one that has the tendency to big-up the job.

Reading between the lines, I wouldn’t be excited by a job like this even if I were tri-lingual.

Not only are they expecting the person filling the job to be an interpreter for free - they are also expecting you to have ongoing leave to remain here, seeing as no sponsorship was offered.
Lack of sponsorship also gets around the advert being “discrimination” though, as they can argue that “anyone speaking these languages can and will be getting this job!”

Dunno about you guys - but I’m pretty sure none of the lithuanians where I work actually speak Polish, and vice-versa. :smiling_imp:
The Romanians, Czechs, and Poles all seem to get along fine - but the other Baltic states have a language closer to Russian and Finnish as I understand it.
I’ve heard it argued that Finnish is “unlike any other language” - but that’s like saying that Inuit is unlike Mongolian, and Mongolian is nothing like Chinese…

“They borrow from other languages” is my strong suggestion here. :sunglasses:

Is that road sign pointing them in the direction of a dream move to Stockport?

The company I used to work for here in Immingham were commonly known in the trade as Immigration Transport. They had over 100 Polish and Eastern European drivers and only 4 British. Great guys and girls but they worked for peanuts and as a result never looked after any of the kit. You get what you pay for I suppose!

the good news is that it will not carry on for much longer, the bad news is when will we get out, close the doors and get back to trying to promote our own people first ? as its not happening quick enough for my liking

scoobyears:

Tris:

Can’t really see what your problem is…
its only the same as an employer specifying that a driver must hold an ADR licence or must have experience of bulk tippers etc etc… :smiley:

Says it all about the level of driver we have to deal with…utter clown.

I’ll be glad when a Government of ours get rid of this sort of thing: basically zero hour contracts but have to be ‘available’ all week just in case.

Theyre hinting at wanting Eastern Euro drivers as they know they’ll do the job and just get on with it, no whinging about hours/ start times and the rest of the anarchist BS many Brit drivers drone on about. It makes for an easier life in the transport office dealing with cooperative hard working guys who know their way around especially if theyre looking at doing European work as UK drivers dont have long distance experience being stuck on a little island…

there was a polish dude tried to get a job with us a while ago…he said when he tried for his medical,the doc asked him if he could read the eye chart…he said,read it?? I used to live next door to him… :open_mouth: