When am I going to sleep on this job?

Link to Indeed.com job advert

I might be intrested but it looks like ill be up to 15 hours by the time I board the boat at Dublin.Am I missing something?

£650 including nights? Is that gross or net? I hope it’s the latter at least, still a rubbish wage considering those start/finish times will be provisional. There’s probably the “lure” of a S line Scania somewhere in the mix (rolls eyes)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GOG47:
£650 including nights? Is that gross or net? I hope it’s the latter at least, still a rubbish wage considering those start/finish times will be provisional. There’s probably the “lure” of a S line Scania somewhere in the mix (rolls eyes)

Ad says £650 per week including Night Out money!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

GOG47:

Ad says £650 per week including Night Out money!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Yep, so 4 nights at say £25 for easy counting, a massive £550 a week (gross?) for max hours shift. It does say you get a parking space for your car though, a company pension pension, which everybody gets and discounted/free food which is what you’ll get on the ferry so not really the company giving that benefit is it. Laughable

It’s a 3 hr drive from Burton upon Trent to Holyhead and 2 hrs from Liverpool. So 5 hrs driving a day the rest of the time is your own/sleeping in a cabin on the boat.
What’s wrong with that?

Sploom:

I might be intrested but it looks like ill be up to 15 hours by the time I board the boat at Dublin.Am I missing something?

Possibly, 3 plus hours off Dublin, before heading to Dublin port on a ferry mode movement, board ferry, depart 9am then 8 hours off on the ferry total at least 11 hours split daily rest, then start the night shift again when you get off the ferry at 1700 straight down to burton to do it all again, so possibly less than 12 hours paid per shift.
Not had anything to do with using ferry mode, so don’t know if the above is correct, if it is I doubt you will be on pay from the start of first part of split rest till disembarking at Liverpool.
Not for me.

Sploom:

Presumably, sleep will be on the 8hr (daytime) crossing from Dublin to Liverpool with a ferry mode movement one or both sides. And this can only be done if there is an uninterrupted minimum 3 hr break on the Holyhead to Dublin ferry.

Tbh I would never normally tell somebody not to take a job because everybody’s circumstances are different. But hands down, this is the worst job I’ve ever seen advertised and I would implore anybody to walk away.

5 (read the ad!!!) nights (days :unamused:) out at £26 each = £130
This leaves £520 before tax for 5 nights at max hours and running in on a Saturday evening.

I’m actually lost for words about just how bad that is!

stu675:
It’s a 3 hr drive from Burton upon Trent to Holyhead and 2 hrs from Liverpool. So 5 hrs driving a day the rest of the time is your own/sleeping in a cabin on the boat.
What’s wrong with that?

Apart from the money?

The advert makes no sense. Start at 18.00, to get the boat at 02.40 :open_mouth: . Unless your collecting en route.
02.40 sailing, arrive Dublin about 05.40.
Leaves three hours to tip/swap trailer, and back for 0900 sailing. Where do you fit your 9 hours daily rest in? When you get of the boat in Holyhead? Before going back to Derby? Then your next day won’t work.

It makes no sense, certainly not for that money.

crunch13:

Sploom:

Presumably, sleep will be on the 8hr (daytime) crossing from Dublin to Liverpool with a ferry mode movement one or both sides. And this can only be done if there is an uninterrupted minimum 3 hr break on the Holyhead to Dublin ferry.

Tbh I would never normally tell somebody not to take a job because everybody’s circumstances are different. But hands down, this is the worst job I’ve ever seen advertised and I would implore anybody to walk away.

5 (read the ad!!!) nights (days :unamused:) out at £26 each = £130
This leaves £520 before tax for 5 nights at max hours and running in on a Saturday evening.

I’m actually lost for words about just how bad that is!

Me too!!!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

stu675:
What’s wrong with that?

So, whatever job you’re doing now - you’d be happy only being paid for the hours that you’re driving would you? Any time spent waiting is your own so no need to pay you?

crunch13:

stu675:
What’s wrong with that?

So, whatever job you’re doing now - you’d be happy only being paid for the hours that you’re driving would you? Any time spent waiting is your own so no need to pay you?

No, but I’m just trying to understand this job description as well. Particularly as any tramping role, aren’t you writing off 5 X 24hrs as time that’s not your own, just varying degrees of work?

I didnt see the hourly rate of pay so I would not even consider that job.
Could say £2000 a week but without the hourly rate I dont care lol.
I dont ■■■■ about with bonuses; overtime rates after 45 hours or more or any other such nonsense. All I care about is the base hourly rate of pay.

I’ve walked from job interviews when they have said the base hourly rate is £9 an hour but becomes more like £15+ when you add bonuses such as performance, fuel effiancy and puntacality and no damage bonuses.

Bonuses are a scam. Read the contract and they can often be taken away without warning or consultation with the employee.

stu675:

crunch13:

stu675:
What’s wrong with that?

No, but I’m just trying to understand this job description as well. Particularly as any tramping role, aren’t you writing off 5 X 24hrs as time that’s not your own, just varying degrees of work?

I see what you’re saying - taking the advert at face value, it would be the equivalent of tramping Mon-Fri and running in Sat morning with 5 nights out every week for about £550 take home. But working nights and sleeping in the day. Insane.

You can dress the job up any way you want by saying a lot of it is spent on a ferry (anyone who has done it knows the initial novelty wears off very fast!) or there isn’t much driving but the fact remains - the job appears to entail working maximum legal hours, 5 nights a week with split rests and ferry interruptions plus a few hours on a 6th shift for a salary of £520 before tax plus expenses.

That’s how I understand the job advert - and if explaining it saves someone from being exploited then I’m happy :smiley:

Would be ok as a job share for two older semi retired drivers at 300 quid per week each which would actually be cheaper for the operator.I’d happily take it on that basis.

Yes,sure,thanks for the replies,in the light of everything thats been said,I think I’ll give it a miss!

Carryfast:
Would be ok as a job share for two older semi retired drivers at 300 quid per week each which would actually be cheaper for the operator.I’d happily take it on that basis.

If your being serious CF
I now know why you get some stick on TNUK

Carryfast:

Sorry mate, elitist drivers only.

mrginge:

Carryfast:

Sorry mate, elitist drivers only.

Yes, face wouldn’t fit.

Carryfast:

I’m semi…

Retired and I wouldn’t get out of bed for that. Why would I?

Yet another half-baked mind ■■■■ from Mr Sofaroutoftouchwithrealityevenmymedshavefailedme.

Carryfast:

Nurse, nurse! Quick with the meds! He’s managed to get out of bed again!