Wheel torque ....

My manager has asked me to torque the wheels and sign a form to say that I’ve done it. I :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: every week!

The only thing is I’m not qualified as a tyre fitter,and if I sign the form then it’s a legal document .

I just plain refused to sign it…waiting for the outcome :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Whatever will be will be!!!

You trained and signed off to torque them up?
Torque wrench calibrated and certified up to date?

I’d be tempted to write on the defect sheet “Wheel torque task not carried out, deferred task to workshop whilst awaiting correct training and equipment”, like I say “tempted” but I’d probably just not sign it either.

I would have thought being able to ensure your nuts are tight is a reasonable thing to ask of a driver. If they are going to be officious in getting you to sign it off then you could ask for some training to ensure you are doing it correctly.

There’s a world of difference between “ensuring they are reasonably tight (whether visually with WNI’s or audibly with a toffee hamer) on a walk-around check” and checking (and being held accountable for) the correct torque values though.

Reef:
There’s a world of difference between “ensuring they are reasonably tight (whether visually with WNI’s or audibly with a toffee hamer) on a walk-around check” and checking (and being held accountable for) the correct torque values though.

And that is why I am suggesting some training - also a reasonable amount of time, 120 lug nuts, 30 seconds each, that is an hours hard work.

That’s what they do where I work. Also we grease our 5th wheel, replace hydraulic fluid when needed etc. Last week parked up at night I was sanding a damaged terminal on my battery so I could get a better clamp/contact as I wasn’t always starting.

I’m not part of the era of changing wheels on the side of the road but I don’t mind abit of diy when needed.

What is it with everyone these days? Why do a lot of drivers seem to think they should have training for the simplest tasks. Torquing a wheel nut is really not rocket science!!
I was in Sainsbury’s the other day and their drivers were saying that they shouldn’t have to pull stones and screws out of tyre tread when they pick trailer up because they hadn’t been trained and tyre might go bang if they pull a screw out. What the ■■■■ is this world coming to??

wing-nut:
What is it with everyone these days? Why do a lot of drivers seem to think they should have training for the simplest tasks. Torquing a wheel nut is really not rocket science!!

I totally agree, but the issue here is having to sign a form to say the work has been done correctly - why do so many companies these days want to dissolve their responsibilities onto that of their drivers. Nothing wrong in being expected to carry out minor maintenance tasks, it is the official responsibility in signing that the work has been done to exacting standards that is the issue.

Because wing-nut the only reason these companies introduce these “sign-off” policies is to cover their own asses and redirect the blame and liability to you, so all I’m saying is why shouldn’t you cover your own ■■■ too?

What the [zb] is this world coming to you ask? A compensation driven, no liability, loop hole riddled solicitors ■■■■■■■■■, aka “claim nation” That’s what!

I don’t like it any more than you do and I’m not afraid to get my hands dirty when needs be believe me, I’ve done various roadside “get me home” bodge jobs in my time mate.

I agree Wing-Nut, but as said it’s signing to take responsibility without training or certified equipment if required.

I do some running repairs to keep meself going, not as many as in years gone by because everything’s arse covering now.

Bluey Circles:

wing-nut:

I totally agree, but the issue here is having to sign a form to say the work has been done correctly - why do so many companies these days want to dissolve their responsibilities onto that of their drivers. Nothing wrong in being expected to carry out minor maintenance tasks, it is the official responsibility in signing that the work has been done to exacting standards that is the issue.

As company’s are doing an ■■■ covering exercise it not unreasonable for the driver to do the same.

Driver using torque bar slips and pulls shoulder. Off work 2weeks
Company asks have you been trained
Driver no
Company well here’s your written warning don’t do it again until your trained.

It happens believe me

Bluey Circles:

wing-nut:

I agree, compensation culture rules. Look at that guy who got a payout for injuring his foot in a tail lift. The company was screwed because it didn’t have accurate training records. Whether the guy got trained almost seemed irrelevent.
As we used to say in my old job, “how big is that piece of paper, is it big enough to cover your arse?”

Yeah I know it’s all an arse covering exercise but it’s the one thing that really winds me up.
When I first started at Lidl’s, worked there for 3 months then had training day which included how to open bay roller shutter and how to raise ramp onto trailer :unamused: :unamused:

wing-nut:
Yeah I know it’s all an arse covering exercise but it’s the one thing that really winds me up.
When I first started at Lidl’s, worked there for 3 months then had training day which included how to open bay roller shutter and how to raise ramp onto trailer :unamused: :unamused:

As was explained to me.
Think of the average intelligence in this country, now remember that half the country is less intelligent than that!

Explains a lot.

Wheel comes off then you’re responsible presumably beause you signed this form?

All a blame culture now nobody stands up and says hey that was my fault. Life is becoming one big giant arse covering excerise.

maestegboy:
My manager has asked me to torque the wheels and sign a form to say that I’ve done it. I :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: every week!

The only thing is I’m not qualified as a tyre fitter,and if I sign the form then it’s a legal document .

Checking wheel nut torques is a standard skill requirement for LGV drivers as it should actually should be done as part of a daily check but because more and more drivers are as useless as you they put those little plastic pointers on to make it simple for the divvies.

Bluey Circles:
I totally agree, but the issue here is having to sign a form to say the work has been done correctly - why do so many companies these days want to dissolve their responsibilities onto that of their drivers.

Because it is part of a standard daily start of duty walk round check which are the responsibility of the driver.

I even get taught how to access and egress my truck. Then I have to sign a price of paper that says I understand. It’s all the companies trying to cover themselves.

Depends who was asking if I’m honest.

If my current gaffer gave me a torque wrench, and a piece of paper to sign, I’d do it for him in a heartbeat. The jobs great and I’m well paid, well looked after, and not treated like a child.

If I was at any of the blue chip companies so often described on here, the answer would “yes, but not until you have trained me in the manner you want it done”.

Like Conor says, I already sign a form everyday to say I’ve checked the wheel nuts, and as it happens, I build the bar and brace every Friday morning and give all of my nuts a tickle, so they are visually inspected everyday, and 2 nuts per wheel are tapped everyday too. I don’t see this as a great leap up from what I already do.