Wheel torque ....

wing-nut:
What is it with everyone these days? Why do a lot of drivers seem to think they should have training for the simplest tasks. Torquing a wheel nut is really not rocket science!!
I was in Sainsbury’s the other day and their drivers were saying that they shouldn’t have to pull stones and screws out of tyre tread when they pick trailer up because they hadn’t been trained and tyre might go bang if they pull a screw out. What the [zb] is this world coming to??

Indeed torquing a wheel nut is not rocket science. But doing it properly (i.e other than a quick tug on a spanner to check that the nut in question isn’t actually loose) is a bit more involved. There is more to it than simply dialling in a setting on a wrench (which includes knowing how to use a vernier scale) and heaving on the end of it. For starters, simply heaving on the wrench until it clicks will show that the fastener in question is at least as tight as the setting previously dialled-in. What it will not show is if said fastener has been over tightened - potentially waiting to let go in a suitably dramatic fashion as the accumulated stresses exceed the capabilities of the fasteners.

Conor:

maestegboy:
My manager has asked me to torque the wheels and sign a form to say that I’ve done it. I :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: every week!

The only thing is I’m not qualified as a tyre fitter,and if I sign the form then it’s a legal document .

Checking wheel nut torques is a standard skill requirement for LGV drivers as it should actually should be done as part of a daily check but because more and more drivers are as useless as you they put those little plastic pointers on to make it simple for the divvies.

I don’t for one minute believe Howdens would let you loose on one monkey boy :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Do you demand your own torque wrench like you demand your own agency unit :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Checking wheel nuts is one we all sign for being done, on our daily checks, everyday. And the safest and quickest way is with a torque wrench. What’s the worst that can happen? A couple are loose, you make a note that you’ve retorqued them, wheel falls off, arse covered. Simple really, another trucknet non story

tango boy:

Conor:

maestegboy:
My manager has asked me to torque the wheels and sign a form to say that I’ve done it. I :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: every week!

The only thing is I’m not qualified as a tyre fitter,and if I sign the form then it’s a legal document .

Checking wheel nut torques is a standard skill requirement for LGV drivers as it should actually should be done as part of a daily check but because more and more drivers are as useless as you they put those little plastic pointers on to make it simple for the divvies.

I don’t for one minute believe Howdens would let you loose on one monkey boy :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Do you demand your own torque wrench like you demand your own agency unit :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I’ve yet to limp into anywhere that has a torque wrench available for you to use, for a start it would need padlocking to the wall! :laughing:
Prey tell Conor, how many times in your last year of limping have YOU torqued up your nuts?

The worst that can happen? How about repeated over-tightening resulting in studs failing due to “metal fatigue”?

Roymondo:
The worst that can happen? How about repeated over-tightening resulting in studs failing due to “metal fatigue”?

Do you understand how a torque wrench works? :open_mouth:

Ah that explains why the erstwhile MFI crew are often rushing round like their arse is alight :laughing: , having to torque up some 112 to 120 nuts before every shift :unamused:

Me, i’ll stick with properly torqued then re-torqued twice nuts and them silly pointers like all the other divvies :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I wouldn’t want to be signing to say I effectively take responsibly for anything that could go wrong with a truck, as it could, or more likely would be held against you even if you’re not even in it! :open_mouth: You wouldn’t be laughing if the truck was involved in a fatal crash, and then worrying about a knock at the door… :cry:

Nobody is asking the op to take responsibility for something going wrong. Only to say he’s checked the bloody things, just like a driver is supposed to. What next, I’m not trained to check the oil :unamused:

Evil8Beezle:
I wouldn’t want to be signing to say I effectively take responsibly for anything that could go wrong with a truck, as it could, or more likely would be held against you

You’re under that responsibility every time you drive it on the road as part of the road traffic act.Wheel security is all part of a drivers responsibility and assuming you lose one the question is whether it’s reasonable for the law to expect the wheel nut torque to be checked as part of a driver’s checks routine.Bearing in mind the answer to that question as a jury or magistrate sees it could be the difference between a prison sentence regards dangerous driving. :bulb:

Jesus I’ve never heard such rubbish as some of the replies on here!

Those of you saying you wouldn’t want to sign anything are talking absolute rubbish.

What do you think you sign every day before you leave , defect sheet to say the truck is legal and road worthy. Go down the road get stopped or be involved in an accident and its you they will look at first.

So what’s the difference with torquing the wheels. ? You already sign every day to say the wheel nuts are tight because it’s on your defect sheet. It might not actually say , are the wheel nuts torqued but in effect that’s what it means because you’ve signed to say the tyres are fine and legal. It’s not just about tyre tread or cuts its the whole tyre including the nuts!!! Jesus Christ !!! Ha ha ha

Viridor ask the drivers to check the torque of the wheel nuts once a week. Dont have to sign it off though. But that was on the bulkers that go through tyres as on landfill alot so have regular wheel changes.

Evil8Beezle:
I wouldn’t want to be signing to say I effectively take responsibly for anything that could go wrong with a truck, as it could, or more likely would be held against you even if you’re not even in it! :open_mouth: You wouldn’t be laughing if the truck was involved in a fatal crash, and then worrying about a knock at the door… :cry:

And you wonder why I’ve had a pop at you in the past on here!!

You already do sign a defect sheet, or at least should, every day!

I’m sure you’re a nice bloke, maybe, but please if you are giving advise like you do make sure you know what your talking about and not just talk complete bull!

I had a front tyre blow-out at Trafford Park back in 1998 and ATS came and fitted a fresh tyre and torqued the nuts up, on the Chapel by-pass 40 minutes later the wheel came loose. ATS’s response was that I should have rechecked the nuts after half an hours running with a brace so refused to accept responsibility for it. :unamused:

Pete.

Where do all you trampers keep your own personal torque wrench? :unamused:
Mind your arse going down the offside in the layby… :laughing:
Do you daily wheel torquers keep a 45 gallon drum of oil on the catwalk and slip an oil change in on a 45 too?
Brake reline in the queue at the RDC? :unamused:

I use my companies torque wrench, once a week, as it’s cheaper than buying my own. I don’t carry oil or brake pads, as oil changes and brake relines aren’t included on my check sheet :wink:

windrush:
I had a front tyre blow-out at Trafford Park back in 1998 and ATS came and fitted a fresh tyre and torqued the nuts up, on the Chapel by-pass 40 minutes later the wheel came loose. ATS’s response was that I should have rechecked the nuts after half an hours running with a brace so refused to accept responsibility for it. :unamused:

Pete.

Had a tyre changed only last week with ATS. After they fitted it the made me sign a sheet to say I was aware it needed to be re torqued after 50 ks. They also gave me a yellow tag to keep in the cab that proved I signed to say I was aware .

m_attt:
Viridor ask the drivers to check the torque of the wheel nuts once a week. Dont have to sign it off though. But that was on the bulkers that go through tyres as on landfill alot so have regular wheel changes.

Biffa is/was the same, once a week every week all the wheel nuts, signed on a spreadsheet in drivers room & 50 miles after every tyre change check with the socket in the Lorry + re’torque back at base (if they took the wheel off)

Don’t miss it at all [emoji57]

Just wondering, Conor, do you check all 120 Nuts every day with a Torque Wrench ?

We retorque our own nuts.
Just sign the tag and hand it in to the office.
Away ya go

OVLOV JAY:
I use my companies torque wrench, once a week, as it’s cheaper than buying my own. I don’t carry oil or brake pads, as oil changes and brake relines aren’t included on my check sheet :wink:

Thats fine and if we had a torque wrench at my place i would do the same, however i wouldn’t be signing specifically as the OP’s gaffer is asking, that IMO implicates the driver in at least part mechanical responsibility if a wheel comes loose or off, studs break and the bloody wheel comes off the driver is implicated where a mechanical failure would not normally do so.

The daily walk around check is a visual check, we have pointers and our wheels when refitted have to be retorqued again and again the following day, i’ve not had a single nut loosen in the time i’ve been here.