Wheel Sizes.......

No, not for a truck. i have bought an ■■■■■■ van, 2001 plate, body work is excellent and have thought about putting a decent set of wheels on there. At the moment it has the standard Ford 13in steel wheels so I was wondering if anyone knew whether it was possible to increase the wheel size to 14 or 15 inch wheels (ex ford) without any major drama`s??

I should imagine that the speedo would show a false reading due to the rim size difference, would it be plus or minus though? :confused: :confused:

Just wonderd if anyone had tried this before. Cheers for any advice or tips.

Bullitt.

bullitt:
No, not for a truck. i have bought an ■■■■■■ van, 2001 plate, body work is excellent and have thought about putting a decent set of wheels on there. At the moment it has the standard Ford 13in steel wheels so I was wondering if anyone knew whether it was possible to increase the wheel size to 14 or 15 inch wheels (ex ford) without any major drama`s??

I should imagine that the speedo would show a false reading due to the rim size difference, would it be plus or minus though? :confused: :confused:

Just wonderd if anyone had tried this before. Cheers for any advice or tips.

Bullitt.

By doing this, it increases the gear ratio, so for the bigger wheel it will increase the road speed, the downside is that you will lose some acceleration

hi
this might help you scroll down to about 2/3-3/4 of the way down enter your old tyre size and alter the other tyre size and that all give you the optium tyre size and what speed you’ll be doing @70mph.
http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html

ur local tyre dealer will be able to tell u what sizes will fit but by going to a lower profile u wont effect ur speedo to much

philgor:
what speed you’ll be doing @70mph.

Shirley. Would you not be still doing 70mph? :laughing:

It is just that the wheel is not going round so many times :wink:

I’d imagine that the genuine Ford 16" 5 spokes off an ■■■■■■ Cosworth would fit without any bother, they fit a normal ■■■■■■ I believe so shouldn’t be any different for the van, plus they will look smart without you looking like a gary boy racer :laughing:

Cheers for the replies chaps. Not sure if i want to put 16 inch wheels on it, im bit to old for the street racer look!! :laughing: :laughing:

Also, wouldnt rims that size effect the steering when turning lock to lock, would they not rub the inside of the arches??

Had a look at philgors link, i cant see that much speed difference if i went from 13 to 14 inch rims, about 3 mph i think it was!! At the end of the day its not the size that counts ( :blush: :blush: :wink: ) I just want some nice looking wheels to off set the van!!

Will keep an eye out on fleabay,

Cheers once again chaps, :wink:

any 4 studded alloys off any ford will fit any other ford, i have seen fiesta’s with focus alloys on an vice versa and also other makes offord with different ford alloys on !!

Dont want to be a killjoy, but there is one or two other things to consider when changing your wheels and tyres.
I had an 07 berlingo van and wanted to do a similar swop.
You are required to inform your insurance company of the change.
Also, and this is the bit Im not really sure about, van tyres have different weight ratings to car ones, so you could fall foul of construction and use regs.

I know in the good old days we could ignore stuff like this, but with so many people wanting to find fault nowadays, it would be aswell to check first.

Or you could just bang em on and say sod it… :laughing:

P.S. I chickened out and just kept the steelies on. :blush:

oatcake1967:
Dont want to be a killjoy, but there is one or two other things to consider when changing your wheels and tyres.
I had an 07 berlingo van and wanted to do a similar swop.
You are required to inform your insurance company of the change.
Also, and this is the bit Im not really sure about, van tyres have different weight ratings to car ones, so you could fall foul of construction and use regs.

I know in the good old days we could ignore stuff like this, but with so many people wanting to find fault nowadays, it would be aswell to check first.

Or you could just bang em on and say sod it… :laughing:

P.S. I chickened out and just kept the steelies on. :blush:

This link will explain what you can and cannot do with weight, temperature and speed tables.

tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/loa … dvice.html

Most insurers will ask if the vehicle has been modified in any way, this can mean anything from the cans changed on a bike to metallic paint.

i think you should slam it so its catching cats eyes and stick 13s on

Stick some rostyles on it!

Koop:
Stick some rostyles on it!

I’ll go with that chrome 1600E wheels but they must not stick out of the bodywork or you’ll get a ticket from mr plod
and a little payment must be paid to the courthouse. You must tell the insurence as its a modification.
They see it as if a repair has to be done it may take longer to find another rostyle than a stock rim.
John

What about some Carlos Fandango rims…
Anybody remember them
youtube.com/watch?v=nqqZ28m8uCo

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: