What's your take on this?

End of cabotage restrictions is in sight
The end of cabotage restrictions has moved closer with the European Commission’s decision to carry out a market survey ahead of complete liberalisation by 2013 or 2014.

The EC has put out a tender calling for consultants to undertake the review, in line with the aims of its recently published Transport White Paper. The review will analyse the effect of lifting restrictions on individual economies. “I want to see the end of cabotage regulation,” said EC transport commissioner Siim Kallas. He said restrictions contribute to the running of empty vehicles on European roads. At present, a visiting foreign vehicle may only carry out three domestic jobs in seven days before returning home.

Chris Yarsley, EU affairs manager at the FTA, said: “Full liberalisation should not take place until there is a level playing field on fuel duty and vehicle road worthiness across Europe.”

Dave the Renegade:
The end of cabotage restrictions has moved closer with the European Commission’s decision to carry out a market survey ahead of complete liberalisation by 2013 or 2014.

The EC has put out a tender calling for consultants to undertake the review, in line with the aims of its recently published Transport White Paper. The review will analyse the effect of lifting restrictions on individual economies. “I want to see the end of cabotage regulation,” said EC transport commissioner Siim Kallas. He said restrictions contribute to the running of empty vehicles on European roads. At present, a visiting foreign vehicle may only carry out three domestic jobs in seven days before returning home.

Chris Yarsley, EU affairs manager at the FTA, said: “Full liberalisation should not take place until there is a level playing field on fuel duty and vehicle road worthiness across Europe.”

Good luck with that then. Funny how the guvnors don’t mind don’t mind employing cheap drivers though…level playing field for the workers■■? Didn’t think so.

44 Tonne Ton:

Dave the Renegade:

Good luck with that then. Funny how the guvnors don’t mind don’t mind employing cheap drivers though…level playing field for the workers■■? Didn’t think so.

^+1.

The same argument is going on the states between US operators and Mexicans but it’s only at the stage of international cross border work let alone cabotage :open_mouth: .It will be interesting to see what happens if the yanks are stupid enough to let the Mexicans get what they want. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Remember the Alamo. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: But the question is what side will nmm be fighting with. :laughing: :laughing:

csmonitor.com/Business/2009/ … the-border

mexicotrucker.com/en/ooida-conti … king-issue.

Surprise surprise the Mexicans are trying to make the case that letting them in will be a good thing for the US industry and US workers. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Sounds just like Orys’ lot. :laughing:

The cabotage rules are a complete load of old bo locks. They stop us pulling our own trailers out of the docks to deliver in UK. Trailers that were loaded in Ireland. The alternative is the truck has to ship over every 3rd load thereby denying the UK of fuel taxation on the fuel we’d have to buy if we could do our work.

Dave the Renegade:
. At present, a visiting foreign vehicle may only carry out three domestic jobs in seven days before returning home.

The Lithuanian I trans-shipped a load off at Dover where he had attracted a prohibition told me he got home every 2-3 months.

switchlogic:
The cabotage rules are a complete load of old bo locks. They stop us pulling our own trailers out of the docks to deliver in UK. Trailers that were loaded in Ireland. The alternative is the truck has to ship over every 3rd load thereby denying the UK of fuel taxation on the fuel we’d have to buy if we could do our work.

:confused: :confused:

How do cabotage restrictions stop uk contractors hauling unaccompanied trailers here :question: .
That’s exactly the type of work where they provide protection for domestic uk contractors just like containers.If those restrictions go then it’ll just be the cheapest haulage contractors,based in the cheapest and easiest underdeveloped country to operate trucks working in the most lucrative developed eu haulage markets. :unamused: .The British merchant shipping fleet has already shown the results of that.

You missed the point. They stop us, an Irish company, shipping our own trailers unaccompanied with loads from our own customers in Ireland being pulled by our own Irish registered trucks. The alternative is that we ship the trucks over thereby depriving the UK of tax on the fuel we’d buy here otherwise. A UK operator won’t get the work pulling our trailers.

Carryfast:

switchlogic:

:confused: :confused:

How do cabotage restrictions stop uk contractors hauling unaccompanied trailers here :question: .
That’s exactly the type of work where they provide protection for domestic uk contractors just like containers.If those restrictions go then it’ll just be the cheapest haulage contractors,based in the cheapest and easiest underdeveloped country to operate trucks working in the most lucrative developed eu haulage markets. :unamused: .The British merchant shipping fleet has already shown the results of that.

Indeed. The future doesn’t look promising.

switchlogic:
You missed the point. They stop us, an Irish company, shipping our own trailers unaccompanied with loads from our own customers in Ireland being pulled by our own Irish registered trucks. The alternative is that we ship the trucks over thereby depriving the UK of tax on the fuel we’d buy here otherwise. A UK operator won’t get the work pulling our trailers.

Maybe not a UK operator but the figures would look a lot different when that operation is found to probably be a lot cheaper for the shipper and consignee if those trailers are pulled here by an east european cabotage traction operation.That way you’re not only saving money on shipping the units between Ireland and here at all but the labour costs are going to be less unless you can work for Romanian wages :open_mouth: :laughing: .But your idea seems to put the British uk domestic sector at risk from east european competition for the short term benefit of the Irish international one :question: .

Although in this case we seem to be losing out twice because there’s no British involvement in the job anyway.That’s one of the reasons why the British international fleet was already on it’s knees even before the east europeans got in on the act.It was usually the lose lose situation of foreign exporters mainly using their own/foreign contractors to deliver all the freight here and then those foreign contractors collecting all the imports while the British contractors sat at home doing zb all.Which just translates into work being generated by the British economy not having any beneficial effects for British international firms or workers. :imp: :question:

What I’m saying Carryfast is the current rules are ill thought out catch all rubbish. They don’t stop anything. Companies don’t start using British companies because of them, they just ship trucks over once a week. I can stay out of Ireland for weeks at a time as long as I do France now and again but I can’t plod round the UK for more than a few days.

it should have happened a long time ago.
i get sick of uk drivers blaming the east europeans for undercutting wages, and rates.
the British hauliers are the ones undercutting.
the British drivers who do nothing but winge, but want to be home on friday, but paid until sunday.
maybe this will be a wakeup call.

there are now German drivers, working for Polish hauliers. doesn’t that tell you something?

switchlogic:
What I’m saying Carryfast is the current rules are ill thought out catch all rubbish. They don’t stop anything. Companies don’t start using British companies because of them, they just ship trucks over once a week. I can stay out of Ireland for weeks at a time as long as I do France now and again but I can’t plod round the UK for more than a few days.

I could be wrong but being Irish company it comes under the third country ruling?

colin.f.whitetrans:

switchlogic:

I could be wrong but being Irish company it comes under the third country ruling?

VOSA are just happy if you’ve left the country, doesn’t seem to matter to them which country you go to. And let’s face it you’ve only got to keep them happy, no other over zealous enforcement agencies in Europe can be bothered with this daft bit of badly written legislation.

switchlogic:

colin.f.whitetrans:

switchlogic:

VOSA are just happy if you’ve left the country, doesn’t seem to matter to them which country you go to. And let’s face it you’ve only got to keep them happy, no other over zealous enforcement agencies in Europe can be bothered with this daft bit of badly written legislation.

I would have to disagree with that as i was parked before at the romanian border because i had unloaded in hungary and reloaded for bucharest? I had a mate fined £300 for loading in poland and tipping in germany which the germans didnt take kindly to either so i dont think it is just vosa but like most things in the EU it is a ruling that is very hard to enforce

Carryfast:

this already happens, i see plenty of SK and BG trucks pulling containers out of the Belgian ports with belgian reg skellies but I don’t think they’re taking them all the way to Slovakia or Bulgaria :unamused: :unamused:

welshboyinspain:

Carryfast:

this already happens, i see plenty of SK and BG trucks pulling containers out of the Belgian ports with belgian reg skellies but I don’t think they’re taking them all the way to Slovakia or Bulgaria :unamused: :unamused:

But they probably are taking them on journeys not terminating in Belgium :question: and if any one is’nt operating within the existing regs concerning cabotage then it’s up to the authorities in that state to sort it just like they’re obviously doing here :bulb: .

Until that is those restrictions are removed completely which will just cause even more haulage firms doing domestic work in the developed eu states to go under.

colin.f.whitetrans:

switchlogic:

colin.f.whitetrans:

switchlogic:

I would have to disagree with that as i was parked before at the romanian border because i had unloaded in hungary and reloaded for bucharest? I had a mate fined £300 for loading in poland and tipping in germany which the germans didnt take kindly to either so i dont think it is just vosa but like most things in the EU it is a ruling that is very hard to enforce

:question: Cabotage only applies to journeys starting and terminating in one country :question: so can’t understand why he’s been fined for loading in Poland and tipping in Germany. :confused:

Carryfast you are right and i was thinking of a totally different situation when poland was not in the EU , hence the fine for third country loading and not the cabotage :grimacing:

colin.f.whitetrans:

How long ago was this? There is nothing wrong with loading in Poland and delivering to Germany, or vice versa, with a UK registered truck. I’ve done it several times in the last year or so. Years ago you would have needed an ECMT permit to do it but not now.

Coffeeholic:

colin.f.whitetrans:

How long ago was this? There is nothing wrong with loading in Poland and delivering to Germany, or vice versa, with a UK registered truck. I’ve done it several times in the last year or so. Years ago you would have needed an ECMT permit to do it but not now.

He didnt have the permit hence the fine. It would be pre 2000 i think but not sure the excact year