What's the verdict here

altdriver.com/crash-burn/bik … is-ducati/

Although the biker is clearly in his blind spot the rigid driver came round the corner too fast imo, he’s taking up both sides of the road a bit too quick and didn’t give the fella on the bike much time to react apart from jump off the bike

Strike 3 (or 4), you’re out! :smiley:

Hahahaha oh well, I did have a quick scan of thread titles to try and find it but no luck :blush: :blush:

Blind spot my arse, lorry driver must have left his blinkers on.

Did the biker make any attempt to get out of the trucks way ? don’t look like it to me, apart from sounding like someone was ramming a pineapple up his jaksey !

Have you noticed how the biker turns around to have a good stare at the lady on the pavement? I wonder if he would have stopped a bit quicker leaving more space had he passed up on that chance!
(but I do agree that the truck took the corner too quickly without enough care)

Think he was looking for what should have been under her cardigan :slight_smile:

Why oh why are there so many drivers that cannot accept when a lorry is in the wrong? The motorcyclist did nothing wrong.
The lorry driver was completely at fault. This is why I keep banging on about the basic LGV test being too simple.
The facts that drivers do not know how to drive properly are proved on here everyday by ignorant comments and this is why we get such a bad name.
Any arguments■■?

albion1971:
Why oh why are there so many drivers that cannot accept when a lorry is in the wrong? The motorcyclist did nothing wrong.
The lorry driver was completely at fault. This is why I keep banging on about the basic LGV test being too simple.
The facts that drivers do not know how to drive properly are proved on here everyday by ignorant comments and this is why we get such a bad name.
Any arguments■■?

Agree completely - truck should have stopped in holdback position, completely checked the road he was turning into was clear as he was going to obviously occupy both lanes, and then gone much more slowly. (If there had been another truck coming instead of the bike then the first truck would have been fouling the junction when he realized and stopped.)

As to the test being too simple, there were two corners exactly like that on my test routes both for rigid and artic. I think it’s more that people pass the test and then get cocky!

raymundo:
Did the biker make any attempt to get out of the trucks way ? don’t look like it to me, apart from sounding like someone was ramming a pineapple up his jaksey !

What would you have done, put the bike in reverse?

Dont know apart from I would try not to scream like a choirboy loosing his virginity as you would never get me on a two wheel death trap.When he saw the truck was on his side of the road why did he not go over the other side to get out of the way.
I wasn’t saying who was right or wrong, And there are far too many on here who if they smiled their face would fall apart, clever know it all knobs with not an ounce of sense of humour whatsoever. :unamused:

Probably would have helped if the lorry driver had used more of the main road to get a tighter turn into the side road. Also can’t see how he missed the bike, and how the bike did not do anything to save himself.

The biker either thought the driver had already or would eventually see him and stop. He was in a state of disbelief and by the time he realised he wasn’t going to stop, the opportunity to move to the other lane or use his horn had gone. A quicker thinking, warier biker would have avoided it, but that doesn’t mean the biker was to blame or that the trucker was anything less than 100% to blame for this collision. Blind spot or not, the Trucker would have seen him had he made the obligatory check before turning onto a street where you have to use the whole width of the road. The biker was lucky and could have been seriously injured or killed in this incident. I suspect the trucker will be getting a visit from plod and charged for dangerous driving, although he might get it lowered to driving without due care and attention.

th2013:

albion1971:
Any arguments■■?

Agree completely - truck should have stopped in holdback position, completely checked the road he was turning into was clear as he was going to obviously occupy both lanes, and then gone much more slowly. (If there had been another truck coming instead of the bike then the first truck would have been fouling the junction when he realized and stopped.)

As to the test being too simple, there were two corners exactly like that on my test routes both for rigid and artic. I think it’s more that people pass the test and then get cocky!

The driver was lucky if it had been a pedestrian/s crossing the road there it would probably be a causing death by dangerous charge.As for any ‘blind spot’ what blind spot being that the driver ‘should’ have checked the road for obstructions at 00.04 before even starting the turn.Which then leaves the issue of positioning on the approach which arguably should have been a case of much more well over to the offside either on or even over the line.Even though that obviously means more,but more manageable,potential conflict with oncoming traffic with the offside front and/or tail sweep of the vehicle before and during the turn.

All of which seems like another failing in the training and testing system in not instilling,and testing for,an observation regime which concentrates attention on the nearside during left hand turns.In addition to road positioning which seems to put too much emphasis on minimising the amount of room left on the nearside on the approach at the resulting expense of the amount of room needed on the offside after making the turn.

th2013:

albion1971:
Any arguments■■?

I agree, baffles me how many people are trying to lay some blame on the innocent biker.

The only blind spot is on that drivers retina.

the guy is pathetic, first think he do is to look the truck? not to ask the rider if is hurt? is that normal? is that professionalism?

Agree with most above posts. Driver is 100% to blame. What I don’t understand is, if you have not set yourself up correctly in the first place, why on earth would you not ’ creep around ’ the apex slowly? Then everyone involved can react safely to the developing scene.

I’ve just listened to the audio CF, he is definitely not foreign mate. He is going far too fast around that corner for that swing.