What's the best bit of advise you could give?

How bout we help out the new and wannabee’s by giving our little tips away that we’ve all picked up over the years…

Here’s mine;

When reversing onto a bay, try and use the rubbers on the bay with the two metal circles on em, that way if the lines are painted incorrectly, you’ll still be bang on the bay everytime. Get it so you can see a little of the circle and you’ll be perfect everytime! Hasn’t failed me yet.

The guy that gave me this tip was a shunter, and a very helpful chap he was too!

Hiya Tiggz.

There is actually a section on helpful hints and tips… its HERE and can be found in the Frequently Asked Questions Section…
But maybe we should see about getting it moved into this section.

Although, a lot of it, dont just apply to the newbies amounst us, but everyone who drives a Lorry… :wink: :wink: :wink:

But you tip about the bays will def help me… I am gonna have to back into bays, and they aint even got ANY lines painted outside them to help with lining yourself up. So I will be using you tip quiye a lot me thinks… Cheers hun :wink: :wink:

Always take a pee while you can.

take your time

merlin

tiggz:
When reversing onto a bay, try and use the rubbers on the bay with the two metal circles on em, that way if the lines are painted incorrectly, you’ll still be bang on the bay everytime. Get it so you can see a little of the circle and you’ll be perfect everytime! Hasn’t failed me yet.

The guy that gave me this tip was a shunter, and a very helpful chap he was too!

Sounds like good advice tiggz, I’ve been driving truck for 10 years, but don’t do a lot of loading bay work, so always look rusty.

My advice is don’t be afraid or to arrogant to ask for help. We have all been there and do understand what you’re going through and have found ways of making it easier. :laughing: before going into haulage, get a thick skin and sense of humour. :smiley:

Get Out And Look.

when reversing, dont watch the trailer sides, watch the wheels.
also, when on the continent, drive on the right! :laughing:

paul

Merlin wrote
Always take a pee while you can.

take your time

and don’t forget to wash your hands afterwards :laughing: :laughing:

Jules

Or wear your gloves!! :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thecritic:
Or wear your gloves!! :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Just make sure you’ve got hold of some good degreaser :smiley: :laughing: :open_mouth: :smiley: .

dont panic, dont tell em your name pike, dont wear furry hamsters on your feet, or a wallet on a chain, dont take everything drivers say as gospel truth :open_mouth: . dont eat yellow snow :open_mouth: , dont pee into the wind, dont have a curry at night unless you have rapid access to a loo in the morning :open_mouth:

If you’ve got a job to do and everyone else thinks they can do it better, don’t be afraid to tell them to [zb] off and get out of your way.

I had to do this today, when delivering to a building site and FIFTEEN builders came out and tried to tell me how to operate MY hiab crane! One guy even started trying to mess with the controls, when I had piping in the air!

UNBELIEVABLE.

:smiley:
On bright sunny days like today (hopefully the first of many more this summer) be careful that your right arm is not exposed to the sun too long. Use sunblock or do what I do if I’m driving in a shortsleeve shirt : cut the sleeve off an old longsleeve shirt, ( preferably cotton), that you were going to throw out anyway.
You can keep it in your travelbag if you use a different truck each day, or the glove box if you use the same one each day. :sunglasses:
On the days you need to use it ,slide your ‘temporary sleeve’ over your right arm and keep it in place with an elastic band at each end (not too tight!) It may look a bit odd, but it will save you a lot of discomfort with a burnt arm in a few months time. :open_mouth:

Best way to tell if the guy or girl you’re talking to in the pub is a lorrydriver ? -Their right arm will always be a darker shade of brown than their left arm ! :wink:

The most practical advice in this game is - TAKE YOUR TIME !

This one works, its great ! When cleaning your windscreen and mirrors use a proprietory spray-on window cleaner and scrunched-up newspaper to clean it off. Yes, I know - pull the other, its got bells on ! It actually does work, it leaves no smears whatsoever.

Take Baby Wipes with you. They can clean everything from hands and other body parts to fifth wheel grease off your clothes ( and seat,door, arm rest, seatbelt… :blush: :blush: )

Dapper Scavenger:
If you’ve got a job to do and everyone else thinks they can do it better, don’t be afraid to tell them to [zb] off and get out of your way.

I had to do this today, when delivering to a building site and FIFTEEN builders came out and tried to tell me how to operate MY hiab crane! One guy even started trying to mess with the controls, when I had piping in the air!

UNBELIEVABLE.

Drop a pipe on 'em, that’d shift 'em :laughing:

never believe what transport managers/clerks tell you when there asking you to do another run and they say you’ll have plenty of time. They lie through there teeth…

If you think you can’t do it in the time and need to be back then say no.

Never run out of pot noodles! There are drivers presumed dead that are still on bay at goods in at RDC’s all over england! :open_mouth:

Oh and NEVER EVER accept a run in a left hook rigid, they are the anti christ! :smiling_imp:

Ladytrucker679:
Never run out of pot noodles! There are drivers presumed dead that are still on bay at goods in at RDC’s all over england! :open_mouth:

Ah, I see you’ve been to Morrisons at Wakefield then :laughing: .