What's likely to change in the haulage industry?

the nodding donkey:

Radar19:

Happy sole:

milodon:
Yes Andrejs, you do seem to have a firm grasp on the subject :laughing:

Most of the trucks I saw when working in Norway where Eastern European just the same as the uk
And many EE used to drive for norweign companies there was plenty of truck parked in torp airport Christmas time and EE drivers flying home for Christmas

Norway has to comply with the freedom of movement as stipulation to access to the free market.

Luckily Britain won’t have to put up with that freedom of movement malarkey anymore when the new trade agreements are agreed.

We don’t know that yet. As much as I don’t want it to happen, it could be on the table depending on what sort of deal they present to us.

As has been said doubt we’ll see too many changes, business is business and will continue to trade as before, deals will be done over the next couple of years or so to make sure of a smooth transition.

the nodding donkey:
Luckily Britain won’t have to put up with that freedom of movement malarkey anymore when the new trade agreements are agreed.

lol, yeah you’re free to do as you please. Coincidentally so is Norway, but they just don’t have the population to eat all the salmon that’s being fished so compromises have to be made…

Radar19:

the nodding donkey:

Radar19:

Happy sole:
:

Most of the trucks I saw when working in Norway where Eastern European just the same as the uk
And many EE used to drive for norweign companies there was plenty of truck parked in torp airport Christmas time and EE drivers flying home for Christmas

Norway has to comply with the freedom of movement as stipulation to access to the free market.

We don’t know that yet. As much as I don’t want it to happen, it could be on the table depending on what sort of deal they present to us.
[/quote]
I apologise. I forgot to include this little fella > :unamused:

The mood in Europe towards Britain is not magnanimous and accommodating. Believe me, behind the scenes they will cut your balls off and feed them to you. They will use you as an example to the rest of Europe. “Leave, and this will happen”.
Anybody who believes that Europe will treat us nice, is deluded. If Europe treat us nice, it will encourage the others to leave.

Oh I agree that the Brussels would want to make an example out of us but I don’t believe it would as bad as they made it out to be. Be too harsh and it could back fire on them.

Radar19:
Oh I agree that the Brussels would want to make an example out of us but I don’t believe it would as bad as they made it out to be. Be too harsh and it could back fire on them.

No, be too soft and it WILL backfire on them.

Short term: Very little.
Medium Turn: Driver shortages become apparent.
Long Term: Government policy regarding training new young drivers falls flat - because “who wants to train even at government expense, when the industry is so vilified by the public right now?”

Conclusion: Anyone aged 50-70 who’s hung up their keys - might want to watch the labour market carefully - and consider making a comeback when hourly rates improve dramatically.

THIS happens on agencies first of course… The pool of drivers being significantly reduced means that “less is going to be put up with” by those drivers considering which agencies to sign-up with.

Medium sized agencies treating their drivers with respect - will start to be able to compete with the big boys… The latter will raise their own rates - but the bad reputations they have to shake off will leave “loose and prospecting drivers” comparing two firms, one that pays will and treats you like dirt - and the other that treated you with respect all along - and can finally match the very best rates in the industry, due to ongoing labour shortgages… :exclamation: :bulb:

Concretejim:
Deals will be made to keep the eastern cheap labour.

I hope now that cabotage rules will continue to be in play.

And foreign trucks will hopefully be forced to pay the hgv levy now after the eu decided it wasn’t fair.

As stated above, if we start to make it difficult for them they will do exactly the same

The cheap labour angle assumes that the current zb wit Labour Party keeps going as it is.As opposed to it and the Unions getting onside with Eurosceptic protectionist Labour voters and even applying pressure to Leave Conservatives in that regard.Bearing in mind it was in large part the Labour vote that won it. :bulb:

As for trying to retaliate by escalating fairly applied quotas and road charging.Just like the rest of the trade environment they are welcome to try.

On that note we’ve got nothing to lose and everything to gain in a non aligned transport market.To which we can apply quotas and road charging in the case of UK-Euro work and the guarantee of cabotage restrictions remaining in the domestic sector.

As for TIR being needed to run within Europe that’s bs.Especially in the case of EFTA member states.Which is where the government ‘should’ be expected to be getting us back into.

Hopefully there would be an increase in unaccompanied trailers which would give small hauliers a well needed boost.

Nothing will change we still need goods from europe deals will be done there could be more ro ro as for cabotage vosa dont bother about it now so dont see why they will in the future

Question for Hanson and Conor: why do you think unaccompanied Ro_Ro could increase?

Carryfast:

As for TIR being needed to run within Europe that’s bs.Especially in the case of EFTA member states.Which is where the government ‘should’ be expected to be getting us back into.

Your problem is that you can not shop within the rules, if you join a club you agree to all of their rules
You think the EFTA will allow you to enter and not work according their “European Economic Area” or EEA agreement ?
The EEA states - “The EEA Agreement provides for the inclusion of EU legislation covering the four freedoms — the free movement of goods, services, persons and capital…”
and therefore you will have to allow for instance free movement of european citizens,… oh wait, was that not one of the leave arguments… :grimacing:
Second; you will have to agree to a lot of european rules, but because you are not in the EU anymore, you will have no say over those rules, but you still have to pay grants…

There was a article in The Guardian some time ago, maybe you should read that.
theguardian.com/politics/201 … rway-uk-eu

bald:

Carryfast:

Your problem is that you can not shop within the rules, if you join a club you agree to all of their rules
You think the EFTA will allow you to enter and not work according their “European Economic Area” or EEA agreement ?
The EEA states - “The EEA Agreement provides for the inclusion of EU legislation covering the four freedoms — the free movement of goods, services, persons and capital…”
and therefore you will have to allow for instance free movement of european citizens,… oh wait, was that not one of the leave arguments… :grimacing:
Second; you will have to agree to a lot of european rules, but because you are not in the EU anymore, you will have no say over those rules, but you still have to pay grants…

There was a article in The Guardian some time ago, maybe you should read that.

theguardian.com/politics/201 … rway-uk-eu

Absolutely correct.
But trawl through a few of carryfasts comments (sorry tis a terrible punishment) and its obvious that his point of view is never consistent. It doesnt vary just from post to post, it varies with contradictory views within the same post! Indeed worthy of Orwellian “double-think”. Maybe he is the real Big Brother?

On a more serious note will we see a return of Gardner engines, twinsplitter gearboxes, marathon bars, opal fruits, curly bananas, user friendly log books, roping and sheeting, cross ply tyres, split rim wheels, and all the other things this glorious industry was robbed of by them lot over the water?
Obviously tongue in cheek-not :slight_smile:

Sorry, the missus says I forgot Oil of Olay, whatever that is.

Beau Nydel:
On a more serious note will we see a return of Gardner engines, twinsplitter gearboxes, marathon bars, opal fruits, curly bananas, user friendly log books, roping and sheeting, cross ply tyres, split rim wheels, and all the other things this glorious industry was robbed of by them lot over the water?

Wonderful. To smell once again that blue haze hanging over a transport yard at 5 in the morning as those Gardners chugged away. (for younger readers a blue haze isnt Jimis “Purple Haze”) (for those who don`t know Jimi, . . oh, forget it)

Franglais:
Absolutely correct.
But trawl through a few of carryfasts comments (sorry tis a terrible punishment) and its obvious that his point of view is never consistent. It doesnt vary just from post to post, it varies with contradictory views within the same post! Indeed worthy of Orwellian “double-think”. Maybe he is the real Big Brother?

I think he is consistant, consistantly wrong though, but hey, he is consistant… :confused:

What bothers me about this whole leave - remain debate is the amount of ■■■■■■■■ that has been spouted by both parties. I know politicians live on ■■■■■■■■, but this has been an an incredible low.

The backtracking has already started, theguardian.com/politics/201 … s-spending
The remain camp has no backtracking to do, but they will now even more exagerate the consequenses.

What did strike me was how many people googled EU and what would happen after brexit after the referendum.
I do not know what was the right decision, but I do know Britain is a divided country now and it is the working class that will pay the consequences. :imp:

For the smoke you did not need a gardner, a daf could do just as well :slight_smile:

But then a daf engine is ONLY a reconstucted leyland! Or was it originally an albion or somesuch?

bald:

Franglais:
Absolutely correct.

I think he is consistant, consistantly wrong though, but hey, he is consistant… :confused:

What bothers me about this whole leave - remain debate is the amount of [zb] that has been spouted by both parties. I know politicians live on [zb], but this has been an an incredible low.

The backtracking has already started, theguardian.com/politics/201 … s-spending
The remain camp has no backtracking to do, but they will now even more exagerate the consequenses.

What did strike me was how many people googled EU and what would happen after brexit after the referendum.
I do not know what was the right decision, but I do know Britain is a divided country now and it is the working class that will pay the consequences. :imp:

For the smoke you did not need a gardner, a daf could do just as well :slight_smile:

Dont want to turn this into a "mutual admiration thread" ,were not politicos after all. But I pretty much do agree with you. Some, or rather many, have taken a very responsible attitude and come to a decision different than mine (i.e. theyre wrong)(:-). But there are some who just wanted a protest vote, to protest about capitalism or immigration or WTF. But, thats our system, no intelligence exams before being given a pencil and a ballot paper, and is after all the same for general elections. No-one has come out of this covered in glory.

Beau Nydel:

You can keep the old stuff.I will stick with my auto them days are gone and i will stick with the modern times thanks.
I have driving a twin splitter but like the easy way now.