Whats europe like to drive in compared to UK and N.ireland?

Hi there, im wondering if anyone with good European knowledge could give me the low down on what its like to drive in the continent compared to over here,

ive started back with a company i used to work for and they do Ireland, Mainland and European work,

i would have the chance at times to load in Ireland and head over with a load and straight back, normally Belgium, Germany north France etc. nothing to far in.

ive a great Truck sat nav which im going to get a new set of Europe maps on, other than that im sure there’s plenty more id have to pick up and learn.

I think you would get an answer if you post this on the euro forum :slight_smile:

The main thing to remember is drive on the other side of the road!

Europe is truck bans that can last four days.
You have to park up on the evening before the ban starts at 22.00 or 00.00.
And start when the ban ends at 22.00 or 00.00 for their public holiday or Fiesta.
Court deposits on the road side to be paid in full or you sit there.
You can appear in court to contest the fine later but many just pay up.
Free parking in Europe.
Better quality food for truck drivers.
Getting weekended on a sunny beach is not so common now.
Not so much congestion in big cities.
Better roads.
More respect from other road users.

its a lot easier that driving in the uk, except the current situation in france with the illegals. the advice being given at the moment is don’t park up within 100 kms of the docks. But follow correct checking procedures and lock your trailer you should be ok. Now I haven’t been out there for a few years in a truck but the services and food is great…

Edited read the post wrong :blush:

once you have been a couple of times the bug will get you, France, Belgium, Holland, all easy going, Germany some roadwork holdups and no grey areas its right or wrong, continue on your way or get your wallet out, and the fine at roadside can increase with a top up through the post, Italy and Spain usually ok just remember to lock everything, Norway Sweden prepare the truck and your equipment for the cold if the screen wash freezes and stops so do you, until it works again. stripping out the washer system and defrosting it in the cab takes hours and most English wash will freeze again straight away. if you do not know something ask most people in most countries are more than willing to help, then there will be no limit to where you want to go. sites like this regularly up date things specific to the countries as they occur so keep looking, good luck.

Biggest thing that you notice coming back into the UK when you drive off the ferry/eurotunnel is just how many roadworks there are and just how much traffic there is and how generally crap driving in the UK is compared to France/Germany etc.

hi v8 Chris . I am from N.I.also . just seen your post like one of the posts says once u start Europe it gets in your blood . I did Europe for ten years and although I stopped European work a good few years ago I still miss the work .Trying to get a few auld hands together to go for one last trip .Give it a go and see what you think I bet you will like it .From what I hear it is not the same craic today . who do u drive for ?

Better roads, mostly, far less roadworks on motorways, generally better flowing traffic, free parking, decent food at truckstops. The Routiers, in France, do a cracking 3 course meal, with wine, for €12.80.

once you get a feel for it, ask at a couple of les routiers for an old copy of this, normally good food, good parking, usually someone speaks English if your not too good with French (like me) much better than all the motorway services, I would not be without mine now.

It’s more of a profession over there, rather than here where you are a navvy with a wagon

Roads and facilities for drivers are far better as everybody has said. As to the illegals, we used to stop at Jabbeke and then run to the port or tunnel. It was certainly a life experience for me.

Alan

Much prefer it my self

Had 4 years of doing it, went just about everywhere other than Turkey and Russia.

If that firm got the contract back again I would do it again in a isntant.

i loved it better facilities, people more helpful (only really done spain italy or greece as a rule), weekended on a beach a bonus.

top tip for me from my 1st trip is dont just follow the french chap in front of you (he only took the roundabout the uk way with me following, yes its lazy i know!).

dont know if its changed but in france dont stuff your wallett full of money as the gendarmaries will try their best to empty it :cry:

I’m going to repeat pretty much what other have said.
Less traffic and better roads, especially in parts of France and Spain.
Germany and Northern Italy can be a bit busy in places though and I think Germany is as bad as the UK for road works.

Generally facilities are far better, and you don’t (normally) have to pay to park on the services, but need to remember to take 50 or 70 cents to go to the toilet on the services in Germany and Austria. But you do get a ticket and can use it against your purchases.
Autohofs in Germany and Austria are a good alternative to using the services, they’re normally just off he Autobhan or in a nearby industrial area, but well signposted. Some you have to pay for parking , but that will be refunded when you pay for a meal.
French Routiers are an experience, you can get the book or use this website to find them, meals tend to be at set times especially in the smaller ones, but the good ones seem to attract the entire village at lunch time not just truck drivers.
http://www.relais-routiers.com/

As kindle530 says they drive on the other side of the road, do not do what I did and try it out on the way down to Dover, it was terrible, I turned round a went home, I wasn’t going to have a week of that.

Do you have to have held your LGV licence for any period before driving abroad?

I seem to recall a car driver had to have had it for 12mth or something before driving abroad.

kickstarter:
As kindle530 says they drive on the other side of the road, do not do what I did and try it out on the way down to Dover, it was terrible, I turned round a went home, I wasn’t going to have a week of that.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I drove to Norway after having my hgv licence for just 4 months.

But, I wasn’t pulled over or told anything otherwise.

So can’t really say for sure…

The only real problem (well, annoying incovieance more than anythibg)

Is the German road tolling if you haven’t got a auto tag type thing.

Need to know exactly where you are getting on and off the motorways as you will have to enter this to be given your tolled route.

Who are you working for Chris