What's changed?

Years ago it was only boyracer chav types in a Saxo or Pug 106 with their foglights on but now I’ve noticed that it’s middle aged and older folk. Whenever I’m working a PM shift I loose count of the number of cars with their foglights on, there has’nt been fog.

Do they do it because they think it looks ‘cool’ or is it because it lights the road up a smidgen more? Either way, when I’m driving down a dark country lane it’s something I could do with out. Maybe I should start leaving my main beam on

Dakota:
Years ago it was only boyracer chav types in a Saxo or Pug 106 with their foglights on but now I’ve noticed that it’s middle aged and older folk. Whenever I’m working a PM shift I loose count of the number of cars with their foglights on, there has’nt been fog.

. Maybe I should start leaving my main beam on

put them on 3 seconds before they pass you into the dark!!!

more fun looking at brake lights !!

Front fogs hardly blind you though do they? They’re only supposed to shine at low level !!
And I’m sure it looks cool :sunglasses: just like the new fangled day time running lights, they used to be the preserve of Volvo’s but just having your headlights on wasn’t cool enough, now we’ve got trails of LEDs, sometimes there’s that many on the front you think it’s a lorry coming towards you. :smiley: :smiley:

Foxstein:
Front fogs hardly blind you though do they? They’re only supposed to shine at low level !!

in the fog !!!

I don’t really believe in fog lights at all.

In situations where high intensity lights are all you can see, you should be going so bloody slowly that you could stop in no time.

The big problem is that when an accident does occur your so used to seeing high intesity rear lights that you don’t realise they’re brake light in front of you instead of fog lights, so you just plough into the accident thats already happened.

I think the OP was reffering to front fogs, totally agree with you about rear fogs, bloody dangerous in the wet.

To be honest I haven’t noticed many fog lights causing trouble. It seems to be the number of head-lights out of line…especially on 4x4’s.
Anyone else noticed the number of vehicles with misaligned head-lights?

You expect stupidity from car drivers end of story, what you don’t expect is alleged professional drivers using them in particular coach drivers.

V.O.S.A should start doing something useful and start handing out fines, the law is quite clear and there is a bit of a clue in the name.

Solly:
To be honest I haven’t noticed many fog lights causing trouble. It seems to be the number of head-lights out of line…especially on 4x4’s.
Anyone else noticed the number of vehicles with misaligned head-lights?

Defo or they dont understand the dip variation you can get idiots

As for fog light you are only supposed to use them when visibility is 50 meters or less according to highway code

mike68:
You expect stupidity from car drivers end of story, what you don’t expect is alleged professional drivers using them in particular coach drivers.

V.O.S.A should start doing something useful and start handing out fines, the law is quite clear and there is a bit of a clue in the name.

I find it’s Scania’s, I’ve come to the conclusion they come on with the ignition!

hate front fog light abusers and rear fog light abusers are even worse as you are stuck with them for extended periods. fortunately i only have to get past them which isnt really a problem in my car :sunglasses:

Many modern cars have fog lights integrated with day running lights. Watch closer for new skodas for example - the fog lights have two compartments and only one is alight.

I have’nt got a problem with daylight running lights, they’re not bright enough to annoy/dazzle me, and more importantly legal. It’s fog lights on when there’s no fog. Why?

It would be better if manufacturers fitted them so that they always had to be turned on when you start the engine rather than switched on when needed (or not) and ignored or forgotten about. At least then people would actually have to switch the bloody things on rather than leave them on all the time.

Perhaps the boy racers and chav types have now got quite a bit older,and carrying on with the tradition :smiley:

8wheels:
It would be better if manufacturers fitted them so that they always had to be turned on when you start the engine rather than switched on when needed (or not) and ignored or forgotten about. At least then people would actually have to switch the bloody things on rather than leave them on all the time.

my 2001 galant estate has that for front and rear. it has buttons rather than switches so they auto-cancel when the lights are turned off and i am stealing that to put in my legnum to get rid of the ugly aftermarket rear fog button which is not auto-cancel

8wheels:

Most rear fog’s are on make / break switches, so have to be switched on everytime, but most front fogs are on normal on / off switches.

scanny77:

8wheels:

my 2001 galant estate has that for front and rear. it has buttons rather than switches so they auto-cancel when the lights are turned off and i am stealing that to put in my legnum to get rid of the ugly aftermarket rear fog button which is not auto-cancel

Same here, i also have japanese car, and rear fog light (I don’t have front ones) are the only one with “soft switch”.

scanny77:

8wheels:

My mate’s just sold his Legnum, nice run around I found, pretty nippy but god it drank the juice - fit in up in Scotch :laughing:

waynedl:

8wheels:

Most rear fog’s are on make / break switches, so have to be switched on everytime, but most front fogs are on normal on / off switches.

Both have to be set every time on my Volvo, same on the Fords I had before.