What Would you Do?

Okay you have a delivery for a company, 4 boxes, you arrive at the delivery point at 07:42 but the company does not open until 09:00.

Your Job entails deliveries around that area but, a stranger stops you as your getting back in the truck and says just leave em next to the roller door and I’ll sign your ticket.

What would you do?

I’ll give a fuller explanation after I have recieved some of your opinions.

would take them with me and deliver them later, deliver to addresses not people!!

LOLOL
This is the oldest trick in the book, Davey!!!
You leave them with him and the said goods are never seen again!!
I would say “No thanks, mate, I’ll redeliver them later”

Go and have breakfast…

Well I am an agency driver :slight_smile:

you didnt davey …did you?? :laughing: :laughing:

Not a chance. Goods stay on the back until customer opens up. Breakfast sounds like a good idea!!

Enquire further. If he’s obviousley nothing to do with 'em, then I’d tell him to sling his hook and go to the other if they were close enough and open :wink: .

If the stranger doesnt open the premises he doesnt get the goods simple as

simon

I would not give them to a stranger unless he can
prove he is from the place where you are dropping
the goods off. I would do other drops first then
come back when open and if still not open I would
take back to depot.

I would leave a card and try again the next day… This is company policy at Interlink if your still not there the next day then its a trip down to the depot for you 'cos they don’t redeliver 3x!

Having said that if I had 375 drops to do that day it would be very very tempting to leave them with the stranger! :confused:

Okay here goes :unamused:

We sent 4 parcels out via TNT Next day delivery to a customer in Northampton, on 21st Dec, no special instructions such as before 9am or 10am etc just ordinary next day delivery. :sunglasses:

Customer phones on Monday this week to say he is still awaiting 4 parcels of Hour Guard Timers, so we check with TNT online, consignment shows as delivered 07:42am signed for by Smith, so I know we sent a delivery the week prior and check this, Delivery shows 07:45am 5 parcels signed for by Hunter. :confused:

Armed with info I call back customer and state they were delivered at 07:42 on 22nd Dec signed for by Smith, hhhmmmm comes the reply, we do have a Smith here but, we dont open until 9:00am and the boss is the first one in at 08:45am. :confused:

So I ask if they got the 5 boxes the previous week, yep came the reply so I point out that they were signed for at 07:45am and Hunter recieved them, a short silence and then I’m told, we dont have a Hunter here, however, the 5 boxes were on the doorstep when the boss came in. :confused:

So now I call TNT to point out that these 4 parcels are missing, well, we have a signature off Smith and as far as we are concerned the delivery was made, so then I point out that the company does not open until 9am to which I’m told, well in that case we need to speak to the driver. :exclamation:

After a load of calls back and forth I recieved one this morning telling me that the drivers says he was at the premises and somebody stopped in their car and told him to leave the boxes by the Roller Shutter Door and he would sign for them. The delivery driver cannot give a description of the car driver as it was over 3 weeks ago, so we will pay you compensation within our terms and conditions of £15 per Kg , so as the weight was 46 1\2 kg your entitled to £700, we’ll send the claim forms out to you for completion. :sunglasses:

I told her where to stick her £700 as the total value was £2450.00 to which she replied, well you never took out the additional insurance, which infuriated me, okay I say’s, so whats the additional insurance for? :angry:

She reply’s that it’s incase the goods go missing or get damaged whilst in transit, to which I point out, they were not damaged and they did not go missing in transit, their driver litterally dumped over £2400 of goods on a door step because some total stranger signed for them. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Now bear in mind that this is based on trade price, the RRP is in excess of well over £4300.00 :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I’ve now sent an invoice to TNT head offices in Bolton with a letter stating why I have billed them, so I’ll wait and see what happens next. :confused: :confused: :confused:

ohterry:
you didnt davey …did you?? :laughing: :laughing:

Nope Terry I’ve got more sense than that :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I would ask them for the drivers name. If it was smith or hunter then he and TNT are falsifying records. It also sounds like the driver could have had them away. Also, a signature is not proof of delivery no matter what they say. They should be faxing your customer a form asking them to state they never received the parcels (this is normal parcel company policy). If the driver did not actually deliver them INTO the premises then they have not been delivered and TNT are negligent and in breach of contract (you have employed them to deliver the parcel into the customer) In this case the goods are still in transit and you are entitled to them back, if they do not have them then they need to compensate you fully, regardless of their terms. In effect TNT have stolen the item and I would report TNT to the Police stating such. Hope this makes sense, pm me if you need any more info or clarification. (I spent 3 years as a contract manager for a parcel company so I know a bit about issues like this)

When i worked for TNT they used to use a private courier instead of their own express system just to make sure the stuff got there. :slight_smile::).

Davey,

I used to work as an Operations Manager for Securicor Omega Express. Every large parcels company work to the same basic rules.

The TNT driver broke the most basic rule.

They are clearly in the wrong.

We too had “standard” terms and conditions with basic compensation but paid out many times for the full value when items had gone missing due to driver negligence etc.

I can’t add any more to what smcaul has said. Dead right on all counts. Give TNT a chance to sort it out and if no joy then report it as theft.

Good luck.

well davey…most deliveries are made on the basis that when a signature is require they are also required to print their name as well…i do sympathise with you and hope you receive your compensation in full…on another note my daughter lives in a block of flats with an entryphone system…however before 11am trades people can gain entry…so a delivery of cds she was expecting was left inside the door..and she was sent the bill..so when she explained that she hadnt received her goods…they told her that they have a receipt of her signature (the drivers obviously) and they would take her to court unless she paid…so she called me worried out of her mind…so i phoned the delivery company…asked them to fax me a copy of the delivery note…compared signatures which was completely different…and threatened them with court action if they didnt deliver the goods she had paid for…received the goods…and an apology a few days later…but it shows what some drivers will do just to get rid of their load…i myself would never deliver to somebody unless they were part of that company…
have a nice day

truckyboy:
but it shows what some drivers will do just to get rid of their load…i myself would never deliver to somebody unless they were part of that company…
have a nice day

Having done multidrop, these drivers are under an awful lot of pressure, with the 'phone going every five munites. Personally I “lost” 2 'phones before I left by slinging 'em out the window having had around six calls in the space of five munites :unamused: , but what’s the problem with putting it down as no one in, returning it to base and delivering it tomorrow? I’m sure you wonuldn’t have been as peeved Davey if they returned it to the warehouse and delivered it the following day 'cuase no on was in when they turned up?

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Jeeze I am nieve but it has never accured to me to sign my own notes. :open_mouth:
But as a driver for TNT (not deliveries) and happy there, this still seems to me a breach of contract on TNT’s part and a driver that is greedy for his bonus I hope you get it sorted Davey. :confused:

PMSL I recieved a letter from TNT today saying they had not recieved my payment of £605 for last month (Entirely an oversight on my behalf) I phoned Bolton and asked for credit control and spoke to a nice young lady, who I hasten to add was very polite, I pointed out I’d recieved a letter and apologised profusely :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

She then says, so your popping a cheque in the post today are you, nope I replied, ahh is there a problem? she says, so I replied, well actually 2450 problems, she then says, I dont understand :confused: I explain the situation to her and she says, okay, if I was you I wouldn’t bother paying, because they will pay out the full amount, but not in cash, it will be credited to your account, that way it has’nt cost them much.

Even she was gobsmacked when I explained what had happened, but at least it was encouraging to know that she was confident that they will cough up even if it is a credit to the account. :wink:

davey as you are aware i work for dhl ( ex-securicor omega international),we have a simple policy if no one at home then no one gets it and they get a postcard placed through letter box stating that we tried to deliver a package from ( eg ) capital enterprizes ltd.please contact number on postcard and quote ref number,to arrange alternative arrangements.this parcel/package is then placed in the holding area for further instructions.tnt up here use the same policy ( unless they are 100% sure of the person they are handing it too)in other words it may be the factory next door and is one of his/her customers.tnt will pay up davey and if i was you it would be the higher price that i would be asking for,along with the driver having his wrist slapped for failing to carry out company policy.if you are a regular customer to tnt then they will not want to loose your buisness.but if i was you i’d use dhl anyway you traitor :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: