What would you do?

In December of last year I was on my way up the A10 between Downham Market and Kings Lynn sitting in a queue of traffic doing about 35mph. It was a sunny day but the road was soaking wet. I was following a Mondeo(about 10th in the queue) at a distance of about 75ft when the driver indicated to turn left at a cross roads approximately 40ft from the junction. On my trailer I had 15 tons of non haz powdered chemicals in 25kg bags on pallets.
My first reaction was oh ■■■■ and started anchoring up. I looked ahead and there wasn’t anything coming so thought I’ll have to go round her because I wasn’t going to stop.
I bet you can guess what I’m going to say next [emoji50] yep she flicks the indicator right and comes across the front of me and bang!!
The police turned up and done all the normal stuff and said they were happy with what I had said and wasn’t going to take it any further.
I did point out I had a camera recording and they have a copy. I didn’t hear anything else until last Friday.
Now the Police are doing me and have offered me a nice awareness course or go to court and defend it.
Sorry to go on but would like to know what you guys and girls would do?
If I lose in court I’m threatened with 9 points and all the costs etc.
I am proper ■■■■■■ off about it.

Booked in when??:
I am proper ■■■■■■ off about it.

I would be to, can’t blame you. Sounds like you’ve shot yourself in the foot drive :frowning:
Never deal with the po-lice, their job is to stab you in the back…! We’re there any injuries, blocked carriageways etc?

Pimpdaddy:
Sounds like you’ve shot yourself in the foot drive :frowning:
Never deal with the po-lice, their job is to stab you in the back…! We’re there any injuries, blocked carriageways etc?

It was blocked for about 10 mins while waiting for the police and no there wasn’t any injuries at all as I’d scrubbed enough speed off to make the impact about 5mph but a loaded truck against the side of a Mondeo caused enough damage.

What awareness course is it and would any points be attached to your license if you did it? If the answer is no then I’d go down that route cos in most magistrates courts you’re guilty before you even enter the door on a motoring charge imho.

Booked in when??:
It was blocked for about 10 mins while waiting for the police and no there wasn’t any injuries at all as I’d scrubbed enough speed off to make the impact about 5mph but a loaded truck against the side of a Mondeo caused enough damage.

What did your boss (if you have one) say about it?

I suppose it’s because you were unable to stop in time, regardless of what said driver was doing.

Raymundo … No there isn’t points attached but a nice £200 fee to pay.
Pimpdaddy… My boss was ■■■■■■ off big time till he saw the footage and was cool after it.

What’s winding me up is that I’ve had my license 21 years this year and have driven in pretty much every country in Europe and never had a fine or points or any issue at all.
I go up to poxy Norfolk and some old dear does that and I’m the one getting done for it. I know there all fingers and thumbs up there [emoji12] and now I wish I’d too her out completely to make it worthy of the crap that’s following

I don’t get it.
How can it be they wana do you because some stupid bint in a car expects an artic to pull up on six-pense on a wet road when it was the car’s driver who was playing stupid buggers?
ANd, they also want to prosecute after telling you no further action will be taken?
What a ■■■■■■ up country this is. :imp:
But yes, take the course anyway. Its all loaded so you’ll lose if you contest it anyway.

No brainer. Take the course. The law states that you were in the wrong because you did not have enough braking distance.

What, you wish you’d taken her out! :open_mouth: Just to justify the ‘crap’ you got? :frowning:

Booked in when??:
My first reaction was oh [zb] and started anchoring up. I looked ahead and there wasn’t anything coming so thought I’ll have to go round her because I wasn’t going to stop.
I bet you can guess what I’m going to say next [emoji50] yep she flicks the indicator right and comes across the front of me and bang!!

If im reading this right,she indicated left and started to slow. You ■■■■ yourself coz you wernt going to be able to stop in time so you went around and she went right instead.
1 - You were going to fast to stop
2 - You were too close
Doesn’t sound like your the innocent party here. All she did wrong was change her mind at the last minute(and I use the word “wrong” loosely).
Maybe im reading it wrong and there was something else going on (Ive learned the hard way on here not to have a go when posting without being sure you know what your talking about!) so if im wrong let me know why you think you should be blameless.

eagerbeaver:
No brainer. Take the course. The law states that you were in the wrong because you did not have enough braking distance.

^this^.
Having thought about this whilst eating me tea,
Unfortunately in the eye’s of the law, they look upon us (for some reason :laughing: ) as professional drivers and so they will have drawn the conclusion that you were not driving to the prevailing conditions and you should have left more room to stop. Its a ■■■■■■ but very true.
If it were me, I’d be putting this one down to experience.
You don’t need me to tell you that you have to treat every other driver as a bloody idiot, unfortunately you came together with one on that day.

The-Snowman:

Booked in when??:
My first reaction was oh [zb] and started anchoring up. I looked ahead and there wasn’t anything coming so thought I’ll have to go round her because I wasn’t going to stop.

If im reading this right,she indicated left and started to slow. You [zb] yourself coz you wernt going to be able to stop in time so you went around and she went right instead.
1 - You were going to fast to stop
2 - You were too close
Doesn’t sound like your the innocent party here. All she did wrong was change her mind at the last minute(and I use the word “wrong” loosely).
Maybe im reading it wrong and there was something else going on (Ive learned the hard way on here not to have a go when posting without being sure you know what your talking about!) so if im wrong let me know why you think you should be blameless.

If only I was allowed to post up the footage and you’d soon change your tune. Maybe once it’s all settled I will just so you can see exactly what happened instead of my half arsed explanation of the events.

Booked in when??:
If only I was allowed to post up the footage and you’d soon change your tune. Maybe once it’s all settled I will just so you can see exactly what happened instead of my half arsed explanation of the events.

Ok fair enough. I still dont think your innocent but you seem convinced so since I wasnt there Ill take your word for it. Post the footage at a later date and ill happily admit I was wrong. Maybe :laughing:

Why are you not allowed to post the video now, after all it’s your property ? (you own the copyright)

You still have the footage get a solicitor after all you said the plod said you had no worries why are you asking here■■?

I thought the NIP had to be issued with 2 weeks of the offence if you had not been cautioned at the time?

Gembo:

eagerbeaver:

^this^.
Having thought about this whilst eating me tea,
Unfortunately in the eye’s of the law, they look upon us (for some reason :laughing: ) as professional drivers and so they will have drawn the conclusion that you were not driving to the prevailing conditions and you should have left more room to stop. Its a ■■■■■■ but very true.
If it were me, I’d be putting this one down to experience.
You don’t need me to tell you that you have to treat every other driver as a bloody idiot, unfortunately you came together with one on that day.

That’s about the size off it :wink:

I would wonder if this went as knock for knock, or as I suspect your gaffer insurance carried the can.

No one other than another Driver will see this in any other light than you ran into a car because you couldn’t stop therefore you’re in the wrong. I for one aren’t going to knock you for it, these sort off situations happen to us every day(just try leaving the correct stopping distance on a twin track). To be honest I’m surprised she actually changed the indication to from left to right.

Take the coarse cheaper than the points in the long run :wink:

Martin:
I thought the NIP had to be issued with 2 weeks of the offence if you had not been cautioned at the time?

The purpose of the notice of intended prosecution (NIP) is to inform the potential defendant that he may be prosecuted for the offence he has committed, whilst the incident is still fresh in his memory.
When you receive an NIP it does not automatically mean that you are going to face prosecution, it is a warning that you may face prosecution.
The NIP must be served on the driver or registered keeper within 14 days of the offence otherwise the offence cannot proceed at court. If the details of the driver are not known, then it is sent to the registered keeper. In either case, so long it arrives at the relevant address within the time limit the notice is valid.
If the registered keeper has changed address/not informed DVLA etc., as long as the NIP arrived at the address on record for the registered keeper within 14 days, it is still valid. The registered keeper then has an obligation to identify the driver.
The driver, may then receive further paperwork in due course, but that is not to be confused with the document that is legally required to be sent within the 14 days.
NIPs can also be issued verbally to the driver at the time of the offence or alternatively you could receive a court summons through the post for the alleged offence within the 14 days.
Small mistakes on the notice do not render it ineffective unless it would mislead the potential defendant.
A notice shall be deemed to have been served on a person if it was posted to him at his last known address, notwithstanding that the notice was returned as undelivered or was for any other reason not received by him. The posted NIP is deemed to be served until the contrary is shown