What would you change?

Mr EU knocks on your door and says “ere drive you can change two aspects of the drivers hours regs”

What would you change and why ■■

I would say remove the drivers hours limits completely, as the standard of driving is so poor nowadays, having a good nights kip would have little impact on the typical EE drivers abilities… :sunglasses:

Second I would let VOSA (or whatever they are now), not be allowed to pull you in if you have done more than 55 hours the previous week, as you are obviously busy and with little available time for chatting to roadside testers… :grimacing:

I’m falling foul of extending driving x 2 and 3 x15 in a week on a regular basis,normally last shift and I just want too get home,so I’d have extend to 10 hrs driving x5, 5x15 p.w
N.b if I had my way I’d just change the job too mon-fri only,8 hrs max a day,40 hrs a week,but never going too happen.

dozy:
I’m falling foul of extending driving x 2 and 3 x15 in a week on a regular basis,normally last shift and I just want too get home,so I’d have extend to 10 hrs driving x5, 5x15 p.w
N.b if I had my way I’d just change the job too mon-fri only,8 hrs max a day,40 hrs a week,but never going too happen.

no, its never going to happen as long as your willing to do 75 hrs a week for £7.20

Outlaw POA. Biggest kop out going!
If your journey begins in the UK and ends in the UK then max duty of 12 hours with minimum 12 hours rest. There is no need for 9 hours reduced rest for short distance work.

Personally I’d get shut of the 90 hr a fortnight ■■■■■■■■ and go back to been allowed 3 x 15min breaks

fixed 6 hour duty between 45 min breaks (can be split as per current rules) with no distinction between driving, other work and poa.
Minimum 9 hour daily rest only applies to trampers.

10 hrs drive max per day(its not like its hard work is it), no fortnightly limit. do away with fixed weeks, do away with reduced daily and weekly rest periods.
Oh, and a weekend ban on trucks!

Speaking up for a lot of us on here that look on this job as a hobby more than an actual job, I would go for 20hrs on 4 off, 12 hrs driving 6 days a week with Sundays off to polish our wheels and tanks . All those hours at £7 p/h we could be rich :sunglasses: , and afford to buy our bosses more light bars and spots for their trucks, bring it on :wink:

robroy:
Speaking up for a lot of us on here that look on this job as a hobby more than an actual job, I would go for 20hrs on 4 off, 12 hrs driving 6 days a week with Sundays off to polish our wheels and tanks . All those hours at £7 p/h we could be rich :sunglasses: , and afford to buy our bosses more light bars and spots for their trucks, bring it on :wink:

Don’t forget to sell all your holidays back to pay for said lightbars and other tat :wink: :wink: :grimacing:

9 hours off minimum every night & 24 hours rest at the weekend. Boom, simplified. Where would all the confused threads on here be?!

The driving hours rules should stay the same, maybe back to the old 3 15’s break to add flex for those that want to get back earlier.

Bottom line is, you work how much YOU want to work. You want me to do 5 x 15’s per week? No shag, not for me, bye.

If needs be, no one needs more than 8 hours kip a night & 24 hours kip at the weekend to stay sharp. No life like but that ain’t what the regs are there to ensure.

The only time I’ve ever driven below my best is when I need to cane it to get where I MUST be to earn a living & I’m nearing the 15.

DP.

24 hours required at weekends
11 hours off if at base
9 hours off if night out
scrap the fortnightly limit
compulsory DAB radios in all cabs

I’d go with abolish the 40 MPH.

9 off in any 24
24 off at end of 6 days work

And end to half sleepers

Ban DAF

I would make a 48 hr week mean exactly that, you work 48 hrs. Max. So all the time you are at work counts towards it, other work, driving, rest & Poa.
Minimum wage for class1 should be £9ph.
Night out money should be £30 minimum.
Bring back 3 x 15 mins on breaks.

BillyHunt:
I would make a 48 hr week mean exactly that, you work 48 hrs. Max. So all the time you are at work counts towards it, other work, driving, rest & Poa.

Agree bar one thing, the hourly rate should reflect what were all expected to be by the likes of VOSA, the Police, Courts and our employers (but ,generally,only when were found to have done something wrong…)

Professional!

£10 p/hr at least (yes, I know I’m dreaming!!)

BillyHunt:

Agree with the 48 hr maximum working week …
but nights out who wants them … Not Meeee

Well you can only do one overtime shift every other week as your second week has to have 45hrs rest so I change that to 24. If a driver wants to earn then let him earn as I don’t think this rule affects road safety.

I’d also go back to 3x15 minute breaks to reset drive time. Reason for this is on long runs take 15 going down, 30 when you get there to reset your drive time, but you’ve got nothing left in the bank coming back when you’re most tired. 15/30 or a straight 45 feels like a lifetime sometimes.

GCR2ERF:
24 hours required at weekends
11 hours off if at base
9 hours off if night out
scrap the fortnightly limit
compulsory DAB radios in all cabs

Splendid, even better, G man for EU PRESIDENCY.

Dab radios are pants in mobile vehicles unless you have a reactor dialled in to a phalanx of aerials.

Maximum 48hr week including PoA and breaks. No reduced daily or weekly rest.

Increase daily driving limit to 10hrs. Scrap the 90hrs a fortnight limit.