What the hell is going on?!

Am I the only one who thinks that the price of 1:50 scale die cast wagons is in danger of spiraling out of control?

Despite some smart looking models and subjects (and about time too I hasten to add!) I think Corgi are losing the plot with their pricing structure…what the hell is going on when a tractor and empty flat is almost (and in some cases the same price) as one with a curtainsider, or roped & sheetEd load. With regards to Tekno & WSI…I would suggest that their execs stop drinking at lunchtime!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

got this last week at meadowhall

Now this IS value for money. :smiley: Not as solid as Corgi’s offerings, but nonethelss, they are very detailed representations. Excellent as toys for the kids giving a real feal to play, or a cheap addition to your collection. They are also a good purchase for any model builder looking for spares, or a base unit for a Code 3.

Hello
As a Model Truck Collector, I would argee with you. I paid the other week £140 for a Tenko & some of Corgi’s latest Models are prices around the £79 - £85 mark.
As for Cararama, They are 97% plastic and they look like the real thing , but the one I had snaped as I took it out of the box.
Woundn’t you think the Model Makers would lower there prices in the Tough Times we’re having. I 'm 100% sure they would get more sales.
Kindest Regards
■■■■■■■■ Gill

This week I bought a volvo fm 6wh.boxvan the retail price is £44.99 when it arrived it had a ticket stuck on the packaging with the trade price on a mere £15.77 that gives them nearly 200% so we are definatly being taken to the cleaners. Eddie.

PS this was a CORGI.

I stopped buying 1:50 lorries when the prices went silly; Corgi ones pushing £100? I thought Hornby trains were getting too dear but at least they move :imp:

Muckaway:
I stopped buying 1:50 lorries when the prices went silly; Corgi ones pushing £100? I thought Hornby trains were getting too dear but at least they move :imp:

You must have more money than sense Nathan,or Smith’s are paying “way over the odds” mate !Just wait why the"boy" Callum gets his 'ands on em,by accident, in the next year or two,they’ll get road tested “big style” forsure,Hell Drivers will have nothing on the stick Callum will give them !! Cheers Dennis.

I stopped buying 1-50 scale because of the prices, started collecting 1-76 instead, I’ve now got a big fleet of BRS old stuff much better to manage as well, I might sell of the few 1-50 I have left, of course for big prices, ha!

In fairness though Tekno prices haven’t really gone up in the last 20 years, not by much anyway.
I remember 20 years ago Tekno were fetching around £80, now they are only around the £100. So in real terms the price has fallen.

Regarding the Tekno vs Corgi debate, corgi doing the typical british company trick of upping the price.
If I was forced to choose between Tekno or Corgi in my eyes it’s a non contest my money will be going to Tekno. The detail and value for money compared to the similar priced Corgi is night and day different.

Bewick:

Muckaway:

You must have more money than sense Nathan,or Smith’s are paying “way over the odds” mate !Just wait why the"boy" Callum gets his 'ands on em,by accident, in the next year or two,they’ll get road tested “big style” forsure,Hell Drivers will have nothing on the stick Callum will give them !! Cheers Dennis.

That’s why they’re in the loft, Dennis along with my Hornby stuff :smiley: He’s not getting his hands on my Mickey Mouse Foden tippers…yes, one is the Smiths one :blush:

Muckaway:

Corgi and Hornby are the same company

Just reading this thread and thought it might lead to something better.How about we put some of our collections of models on here.

Some news for you model collectors, that model shop in Banbury near the fish shop is having a sale on those 1:50 corgi trucks, about £15 off each I think. They also have some other truck models by other companies, I know one was a very lovely renault magnum model.

BanburyDan:
Some news for you model collectors, that model shop in Banbury near the fish shop is having a sale on those 1:50 corgi trucks, about £15 off each I think. They also have some other truck models by other companies, I know one was a very lovely renault magnum model.

Trinders? Opposite the old Chicago Rock?

Yeah Trinders.

That’s a good place for modellers; Got some rail stuff and vintage F1 Scalextric cars from there, but still haven’t got any Scalextric track as I’m waiting for the price to drop…and it’s too bloody cold to go up in the loft!

Muckaway:
That’s a good place for modellers; Got some rail stuff and vintage F1 Scalextric cars from there, but still haven’t got any Scalextric track as I’m waiting for the price to drop…and it’s too bloody cold to go up in the loft!

Yes it is good, I can’t go in or else I would end up spending money I don’t have! There is also a big one in Kidlington on that estate where GAP and Nicholls supplies is, near the railway bridge.

BanburyDan:

Muckaway:

Yes it is good, I can’t go in or else I would end up spending money I don’t have! There is also a big one in Kidlington on that estate where GAP and Nicholls supplies is, near the railway bridge.

Howes, used to be up near the Audi Garage; Quite fitting they’re now on the site of the old station… Cheltenham Model Centre is very good aswell, although I’m not keen on “Much Ado About Toys” in Stratford on Avon; Overpriced (as Stratford tends to be) and I’ve been in there a couple of times when staff have tried selling people any old crap just to make a sale :imp:

I’m not so into buying models now to be honest, I have a cupboard full of JCBs, another full of Landrovers, and then countless tanks and US trucks I have made. Oh, thats another thing and to keep it on topic, have you seen the spiralling prices of the 1:24 truck kits these days? Thankfully you can get the AMT ones pretty cheap (70s US stuff, brilliant) but for Revell and Italieri you really have to hunt around for bargains.

The trick i have learned is to let them launch a new model,let the initial
months of sales go by (while all the crackpots who just have to have the new one first) are buying,then when the shops have stock that isn’t moving,BINGO,the
price starts to drop! it works with Hornby etc model trains too