What Tax relief can an employee claim?

Evenin’ all.

Is there anything that an employee can claim back against their tax?

For example, my place will pay 28 quid a night, night out money but I will be taxed on it. Can I claim the tax back myself or is that as good as it gets? Is there anything else I can do to stop the robbing swines getting my loot off me, meal allowances etc?

Many thanks.

Ya don’t get taxed on night out money, in lay mans turns it’s money you’ve already been taxed on. If your getting taxed on your night out money then I’d say something!!

Other things you can do, do you wash your own uniform? If so you can claim for that

I have the uniform thing in order, cheers.

How have I already been taxed on the night out money?

Young_AL:
Ya don’t get taxed on night out money,

You do if it exceeds the tax free allowance. You only get the amount HMRC has set as tax free. Anything above that amount is taxable.

You can claim any equipment you buy for work such as a truck satnav, your maps, the cost of doing any DCPC modules if you pay for them, your digi card, your medicals and and license renewals.

Conor:

Young_AL:

You do if it exceeds the tax free allowance. You only get the amount HMRC has set as tax free. Anything above that amount is taxable.

You can claim any equipment you buy for work such as a truck satnav, your maps, the cost of doing any DCPC modules if you pay for them, your digi card, your medicals and and license renewals.

how do you go about claiming for all them then Conor? might try it myself.

Phone the tax office, explain it to them and they’ll issue you a new tax code which reflects anything you can claim.

Coogy:

Yes. Click me and scroll down to “Lorry Drivers.”

Don’t forget shaving foam and razor blades too! :sunglasses:

Dieseldoforme:

Coogy:

Yes. Click me and scroll down to “Lorry Drivers.”

Magnificent!

Cheers :smiley:

Coogy:
Magnificent!

Oh Stop it !

You’ll make me blush.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Conor:

Young_AL:

how do you go about claiming for all them then Conor? might try it myself.

You do it via a P87 “Expenses in Employment” which you file after the 6th April for the tax year just ended. You put in the amount you’re claiming and they’ll send you a cheque back/refund through PAYE 20% or 40% of what you’ve claimed for depending if you’re in the higher tax bracket or not. If you don’t earn enough to pay tax you don’t get anything back. You won’t be required to submit proof but you need to keep any mileage records and receipts for items bought for 6 years in case they decide to audit you.

However what those claiming income related benefits need to be aware of is that you also deduct the total figure you’re claiming on the P87 from the gross income on your P60 and your income for the year for say Tax Credits is the “taxable pay” - amount claimed on the P87, i.e

Total Taxable Pay = £26,000
Amount claimed on P87, £500.

Total income for tax credits for the year = £25,500.

can i claim on any personal items made from latex or lace, or even my blow up sheep ■■ ( which, by the way, keeps going down on me when i bite her neck )

Dieseldoforme:

Coogy:
Magnificent!

Oh Stop it !

You’ll make me blush.

Eeh, I’m cherry-ing up at you blushing!

Can’t see anything on that list about sat-navs … only cost of medicals to renew your licence and cost of digi-cards :question:

The Rustler:
Can’t see anything on that list about sat-navs …
… only cost of medicals to renew your licence and cost of digi-cards.

I can’t speak about sat navs but, a few years ago, I knew a Driver who
had his claim for about 180 quids worth of A-Z Maps rejected by HMRC,
(or HMC&E as was) even though he had genuine receipts for them all.

Young_AL:
Ya don’t get taxed on night out money, in lay mans turns it’s money you’ve already been taxed on. If your getting taxed on your night out money then I’d say something!!

Other things you can do, do you wash your own uniform? If so you can claim for that

If the night out money is above a certain amount then yes you get taxed on the amount that was over the threshold, contact your local tax office who will advise you on what the threshold is and what you as an employee can claim for

Cheers m’dears :slight_smile:

scotstrucker:
If the night out money is above a certain amount then yes you get taxed on the amount that was over the threshold, contact your local tax office who will advise you on what the threshold is and what you as an employee can claim for

It’s currently £26.18 for a driver with a sleeper cab for nights out, and £2 a day meal allowance regardless of whether the driver has the night out. Some tax offices will allow higher amounts by negotiaton.

hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim66110.htm

hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim66130.htm

hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim66140.htm

We get £25 tax free night out money, then claim £5.75 tax free meal allowance too as we are out over 12 hours :blush: :laughing:

speak to HMRC.gov.uk
they are very nice people
get a P87 form
this does not require a list of allowable expenses. It just requires one lump figure. But make a list for yourself so you can justify your claim if challenged,
claim:
the agreed amount for night out, early start, daily subsistence if you are working aay from your base.
mileage allowance if you have to travel in your on car away from your base
professional jounals : commercial Motor, Truck and Driver
Union subscription (unless your employer gives you guaranteed legal and injury protection
PPE if not supplied by employer(INSBE)
Sat nav (INSBE)
mobile and land line phone and CB (INSBE)
Maps
stationery
licensing costs (medical, dcpc, replacements) (INSBE)

I am proud and grateful to pay my taxes to this great nation but I try to abide by the rules and to make negative payments to which I am entitled