what should i do?

Hi, just after some advice about a situation im having at work.

Im doing local work for a company out of Hull, doing the York area, i start at 6.30am and usually finish around 5.30pm.

The bloke in charge of me has managed to get into the office and has made it fairly obvious that he doesnt like me, being generally off with me on the phone when i ring up with a query etc.

the reason for him not liking me is that when I came off tramping work and asked to go onto locals that he wasnt asked if this was ok, (he does the notes and routes in the morning)

Its getting to the point where im finishing at 3.30pm most days and seeing as im on a hourly rate then this is hitting me in the pocket.

Its getting that bad that im considering to ask my boss if I can go back down the road and be away all week so I can earn the extra money.

What do you think I should do? Have a word with my boss about the bloke thats in charge of me or ask to go away down the road?

Any help and advice would be gratefully recieved.

thanks in advance

If, after having a discussion with your immediate line manager, you find that they are of no help, then take it up a level. Remember to start with the person you have the problem with first, then go up one level at a time or some-one will get peed off.

Thanks Rog, theres no point in talking to the bloke who doesnt like me as all he will do is shrug it off and then make my job even worse.

Might have a word with the boss tommorow and see what he says.

Potter:
Hi, just after some advice about a situation im having at work.

Im doing local work for a company out of Hull, doing the York area, i start at 6.30am and usually finish around 5.30pm.

The bloke in charge of me has managed to get into the office and has made it fairly obvious that he doesnt like me, being generally off with me on the phone when i ring up with a query etc.

the reason for him not liking me is that when I came off tramping work and asked to go onto locals that he wasnt asked if this was ok, (he does the notes and routes in the morning)

Its getting to the point where im finishing at 3.30pm most days and seeing as im on a hourly rate then this is hitting me in the pocket.

Its getting that bad that im considering to ask my boss if I can go back down the road and be away all week so I can earn the extra money.

What do you think I should do? Have a word with my boss about the bloke thats in charge of me or ask to go away down the road?

Any help and advice would be gratefully recieved.

thanks in advance

Please excuse me for stating the obvious, but if it’s that bad then why don’t you … LEAVE ? :unamused:

I really don’t understand these “what should I do?” posts. Surely it’s very simple - if you don’t like the people or terms and conditions then what the hell in staying there when you could be out of the door and in another job by the end of the week? :unamused:

I dont want to leave because I enjoy the job and they are a good firm to work for, just dont like this blokes attitude thats all

Potter:
I dont want to leave because I enjoy the job and they are a good firm to work for, just dont like this blokes attitude thats all

Oh well, you can’t leave because of that, can you? :unamused: I mean, it just wouldn’t be right! :unamused:

whats the problem Rob? Im just after some advice

I would follow ROG’s advice.

As you stated the company in general is ok, its just one bad apple!

There is always one somewhere, even here by the look of it! :laughing:

Potter:
whats the problem Rob? Im just after some advice

Er, and you’ve got some advice, or were you just looking for advice along the lines of what you actually wanted to hear ? :bulb:

Imho, you ain’t gonna shift your gaffer to make him like you. Your face obviously don’t fit there and no matter how much sucking up you do, you’re not gonna change that so it’s a simple case of either put up and shut up or leave. Sorry fella. :confused:

Blimey Rob you dont hold back do you? :open_mouth:

hi Potter,
I had similar prob couple years ago, as hard as it sounds speak to the person first, make note of what is said also tell him the reason why you’re talking to him and also let him now that if the situation doesnt improve you will take it further.
hope this is of use
PS I used to be transport supervisor, got fed up driving desk so went back on the road

Just have a word with the chap in question Potter.

Can’t see the point in leaving a job you’ve been (presumably) fairly happy doing solely because the bloke on the traffic desk has taken umbridge.

Your both grown men. Perhaps a chat will resolve any misunderstandings.

If this gets you nowhere, have a word with your boss.

I doubt a drastic measure like the one Rob K mentioned will need need to be taken.

If it indeed is, then it may be a blessing in disguise i.e. move on to better things.

Imho, you ain’t gonna shift your gaffer to make him like you. Your face obviously don’t fit there and no matter how much sucking up you do, you’re not gonna change that so it’s a simple case of either put up and shut up or leave. Sorry fella.

If you get on well with everyone else and it is just this guy, who happens to be your line manager, that you dont get on with then DO NOT QUIT.
I had one who was the same. I would not conform with his way of thinking - he lost in the end because people like that will box themselves into a corner and make themselves look like pratts It is all down to your strength of character and KNOWING that you are in the RIGHT.
Sucking up has nothing to do with it - waiting for the right opportunity does :unamused: :smiley:

he isnt really my line manager, he is the bloke who used to do locals, hurt his foot, went in the office and managed to stay, the bloke has no people skills what so ever,I really enjoy my job and to have to go because of one person is something im not willing to do.

If I had a word with him all that would happen is that he would be even more peed off at me and make it 10 times worse!!

Potter:
he isnt really my line manager, he is the bloke who used to do locals, hurt his foot, went in the office and managed to stay, the bloke has no people skills what so ever,I really enjoy my job and to have to go because of one person is something im not willing to do.

If I had a word with him all that would happen is that he would be even more peed off at me and make it 10 times worse!!

Who has got the more determined and stronger character - you or him? It is the answer to that question that will determine the final outcome. If it is him, then start looking elsewhere but do not quit until you get another job - looks better on your CV :smiley:

[quote="
If I had a word with him all that would happen is that he would be even more peed off at me and make it 10 times worse!![/quote]

and he knows that, you might get a result if yo go in and face up to him, as its the last thing he expects you to do, go for it. :wink:

Although if you do feel forced to leave i imagine it would be classed as constructive dismissal :confused:

Not sure what to suggest as this situation is always crap and i normally tend to go in mouth first brain after which doesn’t always work :open_mouth:

PaulJC79:
Not sure what to suggest as this situation is always crap and i normally tend to go in mouth first brain after which doesn’t always work :open_mouth:

I still do that now and again :blush: :open_mouth: at least on this site I can delete what I wrote and look innocent :wink: :laughing:
I’ll be OVER 49 & the Grandma’s husband this year - you would have thought that I would have learned by now… no way I’m male, I’ll always say the wrong thing but mean something else :unamused: :unamused: :slight_smile:

LEAVE LEAVE LEAVE, look for another job while you still have one or do nothing if they see it does not bother you it will p him off good time.

Although if you do feel forced to leave i imagine it would be classed as constructive dismissal :confused:

Go through your company’s greivence systems, that way if you do feel forced to leave and go down the “constructive dismissal” route, then you have done everything right.

If you do go through the right procedures you may find that someone else will have a bigger problem than you, for failing in his role as an employee to deal with your greivence.

Personally I would just give him a bit of verbal,either officially, or even better unofficially