what should i do?

I would agree with Rog.

Take it up with him first,and if the situation doesn’t improve,then go further up the tree.It would also pay you to have a witness for any discussions that may take place,so that it strengthens your case.Make sure it is someone you can trust,and record any conversations in either written form,or covertly,in audio form.

If you do it in the correct order,and you are forced to leave,you could then perhaps go for constructive dismissal,but you would have to show that you followed the correct procedure when faced with a grievance.

Ken.

What about greivance procdures??
Check up on what your company procedures are and you follow them to the “T” If he’s that bad he will probably fall foul at the next stage

If money/hours is the main problem just drag it out abit, stick to speed limits, never have a break when you are tipping.Have an hour for your dinner (45 mins is the min not max) away from any place work related. Don’t do any paperwork while on break. Take half an hour every other day to clean the truck and remember you have to take an additional WTD break of at least 15 mins after you have worked for 9 hours and before the end of your shift (this is not driving hours related)This will help with the overtime. DO THE JOB TO SUIT YOU (as long as the work gets done without accidents etc etc whats the problem) . I’d rather employ a safe and conciencious driver who drags it out a bit as have a ‘hero’ flying about whose only concern is to get back and kiss the boss’ arse !

As far as going to your boss and having a word.
If the job is getting done by 15.30 ish without overtime being paid, then i would guess that your boss would support the traffic clerk , as it appears that he is getting the job done properly.
Only worth complaining about the clerk if the job is not getting done because he is cutting your hours.

Potter:
whats the problem?

As i see it, you have asked to go on locals, so you don’t want nights out. You got it. If the guy has been told (by someone else as you never had a word with him) to keep you local, then thats what he has done. He may himself be frustrated by his inability (due to what he has been told) to send you on certain jobs? I think the guy is on a hiding to nothing because the first time he gives you a job and it goes wrong and you have to stay out you’ll be the first to say…its been sorted out, i don’t do nights out i only do local… You asked for locals you got them. Now you don’t want them so local? You actually want the longest possible local shifts whereby you are home everynight. Go over his head agian and ak if you can have the run/planning sheet the night before and plan your own jobs out, i’m sure they’ll let you as it will be one less job for your gaffer , hey?!!

well in our operations office,its one of the requirements of the planners to try and keep drivers hours to a minimum and still get the work covered, therefore saving the boss money

If you think the guy is being a arse tell him, DON’T let him BULLY you, stick up for yourself.
But do it politely, but make sure you get your point across, don’t lower yourself to his level, and stay calm and cool!!!
All bullys are just big tarts really.
SMc

Try and honeytrap this guy. A little blackmail can go a long way on a big problem. I personally try to treat people as they treat me,to a point.
However mike c. has a point, you have got what you asked for.

try reverse psychology
make a point of telling him and the other drivers how you’re enjoying the extra spare time (park with kids, pub with mates, improved lovelife, fishing etc, etc)
if he dislikes you as much as you think he does, you’ll quickly lose those early finishes
make sure you tell all the drivers the same as you’re telling him, you never know which one is reporting your views back to him.
if all else fails get anotner job and punch him in the throat on the way out

What’s the full story here?

How many “local” drivers are there on your firm? Has the work reduced (It has at my place post Xmas)? Is the work multi drop?

Is your nemesis after his old job back?

The bloke in charge of me has managed to get into the office and has made it fairly obvious that he doesnt like me, being generally off with me on the phone when i ring up with a query etc.

and

he isnt really my line manager, he is the bloke who used to do locals, hurt his foot, went in the office and managed to stay, the bloke has no people skills what so ever,

To be honest, from your posts, it looks like a personality clash and you can do as others have suggested work the job to suit or go the grievance route but be prepared to walk if you don’t get any satisfaction. The company have already accomodated your wishes to do locals and not have nights out so, playing devils advocate here, if you then ask to return to tramping have your circumstances changed. If the loss of money is the motivator then with respect that would have been forseeable and you should have considered this before asking for a change of work pattern.

The company wouldn’t have the initials NRT would it?

when you get a urgent? load,as in its got to get there like yesterday.

then take the run and say you will do it tomorrow, then get the worst case of nora virus you can think of and call in sick half hour before your due out, that should keep him bright red for the rest of the day,and hopefully he will learn to respect you for your effort when you are there.

it may work?

You could have a word or go down the road again can you will they allow you to go back down the road as you said you wanted local

Is going back down the road an option how would it affect home life etc

The decision is yours but think

:confused: :confused: :confused: all yo needto do is say any chance of some longer runs pal ? he will say yes or no esy as that :laughing:

I haven’t read all the posts, but I’ve got to agree with what most and say, talk to the bloke, and if you’re considering going back down the road all week, why not just volunteer yourself for the odd night out, if it will help him out? Hopefully he will appreciate it as a genuine gesture to get on with him, and if not it will give you a bit more ammo, if things still aren’t working out, and you feel you have to go even higher up :wink:

call his bluff and thank him for the early finishes, if he doesnt like you, llike you say, he will give you late finishes thinking he is cheesing you off :smiley:

EDIT just read biggusdickus’s post :smiley:

biggusdickusgb:
try reverse psychology
make a point of telling him and the other drivers how you’re enjoying the extra spare time (park with kids, pub with mates, improved lovelife, fishing etc, etc)
if he dislikes you as much as you think he does, you’ll quickly lose those early finishes
make sure you tell all the drivers the same as you’re telling him, you never know which one is reporting your views back to him.
if all else fails get anotner job and punch him in the throat on the way out

Unbeliavable…Anyway, do you really think Princess Di was murdered by the royal family too?

Gurner:
EDIT just read biggusdickus’s post :smiley:

Right !! So you think Prince Phillip did it !!!
Come on guys, get real, you really think a planner takes notice of how to ■■■■ someone up? They’re to busy trying to get work out and covered and keep everyone happy. I’d say i don’t beliave it, only the sad thing is i’ve sat alongside enough drivers to know that they do think like this. Unreal…
You ask, you get and still its not enough. You want exactly what you want and no less.

your very naive if you dont think that these type of cretins exsist in transport offices.
We dont have the facts, there could be plenty of blokes that are home every night, but still get good hours in, and this bloke has taken a dislike to him hence the short runs.
However, there is your side of the argument, which i fully understand and agree with, but without knowing what kind of runs they have etc its hard to make a true opinion.

But going back to my first sentance, if you think there arent [zb]s in these offices that try to ■■■■ drivers off to boost there ego’s, then you are looking through rose tinted glasses.

P.S i find it hard to believe, that the word [zb] is censored, so in protest have “over ridden” censor.

:unamused: L.

Gurner:
, so in protest have “over ridden” censor.

LOL !! yeah i am sure itshappened wherby you do get stuffed, i wouldn’t deny that. But in general terms on a day to day basis its beyond most of them to do what they are supposed to do never mind trying to make it hard for someone daily. If you give them credit for that then you conceed they have a brain, i don’t credit most with that much. They work to a clockwork work pattern !!!
In modern speak, many can’t think 'outside the box ’ !!!