what scares you the most?

final one for today :wink:

We all have confidence in our abilities to drive a truck, the nature of this job is that we also have to rely on other people to have some abillity

Itis docunented on here that I was involved in a major accident a number of year ago, i pulled out of layby on a clear road and set off on my way when a truck carrying livestock came round the bend a mile or so behind, as I gained speed he carried on trucking in my lane, and kept going and going, I had close to a minute when I just kenw this guy wasnt going to change lane and was going to hit me. and he did resulting in a 6 hour closure of the A1

ever since then I have an almost paranoid fear of drivers coming close before moving lane
whats yours fears?

I don’t have any fears has such about our industry or driving 44 ton trucks, but my main fear is fog and the way other people handle it, i just know you have to be fully alert, not to your own ability but every other tom ■■■■ and his dog :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

drivers cutting in too soon. if its a car it could slam the anchors on as they tend to be largely unpredictable. if its a truck you cant see anything ahead and if he/she hasnt cleared you, its gonna hurt if you arent watching. broadly speaking, OTHER DRIVERS :exclamation:

The wife!!!

You should know - you met her!! :smiling_imp:

Cyclists scare me, a significant percentage seem to have no road awareness skills at all.

seeing orange lights on the hard shoulder

while in the car once, doing about 80 up the M74, i was passing an AA van with its orange lights on and as i was going past, the owner of the car (i presume it was them, they had no hi viz on) stepped out from the front of the AA van and into the first lane, i missed him by millimetres but it really scared me, now when i see them orange lights i try to get as far away as possible from them, i wouldnt like to think what would have happened if i had clipped him!

Gordon Brown Scares the bejesus out of me!!

I get nervous when something is pounding up behind me as i had a major a number of years ago which closed the M62 on a Friday afternoon, The other driver fell asleep and just ran straight into me while i was climbing windy hill. The other is all these poles and such just not looking its manouver indicate and mirror i seem to think. Always try to get past them as fast as i can.

Giblsa:

while in the car once, doing about 80 up the M74, i was passing an AA van with its orange lights on and as i was going past, the owner of the car (i presume it was them, they had no hi viz on) stepped out from the front of the AA van and into the first lane, i missed him by millimetres but it really scared me, now when i see them orange lights i try to get as far away as possible from them, i wouldnt like to think what would have happened if i had clipped him!

if you see something on the hard shoulder try and get into lane 2 mate. no matter what you are driving. if they are emergency services (police, fire brigade etc) they tend to wave a thanks to you. the breakdown guys probably would but are too busy and normal road users who dont find themselves there very often are the ones who wander around in lane 1. an air horn gives the desired effect of a brown trousers incident :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Having a ‘head on smash’.
Unlit single carriageway ‘A’ road in winter, just enough room to pass the oncoming trucks, dark, wet , rushhour and the glare of a million headlights blinding you, then another truck face to face. No thankyou…

scanny77:

Giblsa:

if you see something on the hard shoulder try and get into lane 2 mate. no matter what you are driving. if they are emergency services (police, fire brigade etc) they tend to wave a thanks to you. the breakdown guys probably would but are too busy and normal road users who dont find themselves there very often are the ones who wander around in lane 1. an air horn gives the desired effect of a brown trousers incident :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

that is exactly what i do, or if its busy i ride the white line and make lane 2 move over slightly. better to make a car move over slightly than to close three lanes with joe publics blood!

My dads one pearl of wisdom he shared with me when I passed my car licence was consider everyone else on the road as an idiot and you will be OK , so no offence to you idiots but it always worked for me. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: PS : I dont mind being one of your idiots :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Spiders

Ark-Angel:
I get nervous when something is pounding up behind me

:open_mouth: That scares the living daylights out of me aswell. :laughing:

To be honest going into auto pilot mode on a long motorway and not remembering a certain bit of road which you have just traveled. Im sure we have all done it before anyone has a go at me for lack of concertration yada yada yada… no-one is perfect…

not waking up in the morning in the cab.
what would happen if somebody gassed me or had a heart attack and i never woke up
truck could be parked for ages before anybody found me inside my family would be proper upset :cry:

acceptme:
To be honest going into auto pilot mode on a long motorway and not remembering a certain bit of road which you have just traveled. Im sure we have all done it before anyone has a go at me for lack of concertration yada yada yada… no-one is perfect…

I listened to a radio programme about that, they where saying that when you do that you don’t remember it because you where in a heightened state of concentration. Thats exactly how they described it ‘auto pilot mode’, not to be confused with being tired as we know when we are tired. Anyway…

I hate bridges and flyovers. That Dartford bridge just does my nuts in. Never used to bother me, any of them, they do now.

welshboyinspain:
not waking up in the morning in the cab.
what would happen if somebody gassed me or had a heart attack and i never woke up
truck could be parked for ages before anybody found me inside my family would be proper upset :cry:

thats y i always sms some1 when i park up at night and leave in the morning… i found an austrian driver next too me on the german boarder with his head split open where he was so drunk and fell out of his cab… not nice and hammered it into my brain that i should really tell some1 where i am…

when i was on nights the thing that scared me a lot was the road work men especially when there putting the cones out in the truck always worried me of one of them falling of there truck.also when your driving and a truck is in front of you and all over the place seen that all to many times, once i overtook one and he was a sleep he jump when he saw me, but would not know what to do if i saw some one asleep again cos hitting the Horn could have a more dangerous consequences.

It says ERF not RAF:
Having a ‘head on smash’.
Unlit single carriageway ‘A’ road in winter, just enough room to pass the oncoming trucks, dark, wet , rushhour and the glare of a million headlights blinding you, then another truck face to face. No thankyou…

in my nightmare both me and the on-coming truck both think we’ll squeeze past but it’ll be a bit close, impact is taken steering wheel to steering wheel.
i hate those situations!!!