What makes a 'good' driver?

Hello all,

I would like to ask a couple of questions if I may & you know what they say,if you need answers, ask the experts,guys who have years of experience,learned lessons the hard way & have ‘been there & done that’.

However,those blokes were out so I thought I’d better ask you chaps! (& ladies of course).

Firstly,in your opinion what personal qualities do you require to be a good driver.I don’t just mean the ambition to start you’re own firm/earn the most dough etc,I mean the attitude and character traits to thrive/survive in a tough ever changing industry.

Secondly,if tomorrow was going to be your last day driving a truck,if you were asked for three tips about the job,from the new chap about to take the keys,what would they be?

Anyhow,thanks for reading this drivel,happy xmas & safe driving to you all.

Top of my list would be reliability. I might forgive quite a lot to the driver who turns up, ready for work and on time every day; gets the job done without fuss, and looks after his truck.

You need to be a fairly laid-back sort (to put up with all the crap). You also need to be happy with your own company.
3 pieces of advice, hmmmm. 1) don’t EVER run bent for a boss. 2) think ahead (both on the road and about your hours) and 3) don’t EVER run bent for a boss. :smiley:

Is there such thing as a good driver?
If you blink whilst driving the folks on here consider you scum of the earth and a a super dangerous driver.

no good drivers anymore all young kids driving dangerous should be 25 before licence given, every day see younguns takin rixs and doing danger stuff, ban em until 25 or 30 and no how to handle truck safey. good driver is safe driver

Well, in my humble opinion, a good driver is one that actually has an interest in the job, takes pride in the job and who believes they should behave like an ambassador for the company they drive for. Not someone that constantly moans about the job and the idiots in the industry. :wink:

Phillip Mitchell:
no good drivers anymore all young kids driving dangerous should be 25 before licence given, every day see younguns takin rixs and doing danger stuff, ban em until 25 or 30 and no how to handle truck safey. good driver is safe driver

Can we ban the over 40s as they seem to be just as dangerous when in charge of a HGV?

I’m with santa and mr vain, remeber the truck is your responsiblity even if you don’t own it, consider how you would feel if your actions injured or killed someone on the road before it happens, It may make you drive better. While some bosses may wish you to carry on regardless they will thank you less for a disaster.

What makes a ‘good’ driver?

ATTITUDE

I’m unaware of ever having killed anyone on the road, and not been banned from any rdc’s, I’m bloody perfect. :laughing:

MR VAIN:
Well, in my humble opinion, a good driver is one that actually has an interest in the job, takes pride in the job and who believes they should behave like an ambassador for the company they drive for. Not someone that constantly moans about the job and the idiots in the industry. :wink:

No good drivers on here then :neutral_face:

someone who thinks about the children? Goddammit I cant believe I said that

Understanding and patience are top of the list for me in this modern world.
Everything else will follow if you have these two qualities.
And I will never let integrity go, it is the most important quality, even if it does at times, get you in the mire.
More to driving than technical stuff, it is the mind that matters.

robroy:

MR VAIN:

No good drivers on here then :neutral_face:

UM Well, you could be forgiven for thinking that. :confused:

One that makes you loads of money…simple really.

Kermit the frog:
Secondly,if tomorrow was going to be your last day driving a truck,if you were asked for three tips about the job,from the new chap about to take the keys,what would they be?

Relax, it’s an easy job so no need to get wound up.

Plan ahead and give yourself time.

Avoid contact with other drivers as much as possible.

A good driver is one who always wears double sided underwear

Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, use correct wearing position.

Monday, Wednesday, Friday, turn inside out.

Saturday, go commando and wash pants!

Phillip Mitchell:

Absolute rubbish.

treat everyone the way you would wish to be treated,
treat the truck as if it were your own,
remember the boring repetative jobs are paying the wages, and the special ones are just that special,
the man who never made a mistake never made anything,
if you want to know whats wrong with your children try looking in the mirror.
theres the keys, OH and it needs add blue. GOOD LUCK.

ROG:

What makes a ‘good’ driver?

ATTITUDE

I would agree with that one.