What makes a 'good' driver?

Santa:
Top of my list would be reliability. I might forgive quite a lot to the driver who turns up, ready for work and on time every day; gets the job done without fuss, and looks after his truck.

MR VAIN:
Well, in my humble opinion, a good driver is one that actually has an interest in the job, takes pride in the job and who believes they should behave like an ambassador for the company they drive for. Not someone that constantly moans about the job and the idiots in the industry. :wink:

:slight_smile: I agree 100% with what Santa and MR VAIN have posted…

and my 3 tips for a new driver just starting with a company:

Keep your eyes open.
Keep your ears open.
Keep your mouth shut. :stuck_out_tongue:

What makes a good driver?

A good driver is one who knows he/she is still learning even after years of practice, no two places/days are the same. You know it’s not experience its PRACTICE.

1st tip for a newbie, "DONT be afraid to ask questions

2nd tip, learn the above

3rd tip, Enjoy what your doing

A good driver has extensive knowledge of the protistute community. He knows which ones are undercover lady pigs and which ones are safe for a good murdering.

The best way to accurately gauge how good a driver is would be to count the prostitute hearts he keeps in a Netto bag behind the seat.

Consideration makes a good driver.
Consideration for other people on the road and consideration of the worst possible consequences in every circumstance.

As for my three tips:

1. Don’t ever retaliate!!! It’s no good making a near accident into a real one.
  2. Know when to say “enough!”
  3. Be careful what company you keep and who you work for.

Over 40, experienced (15 years + on class1/c+e), gets the job done, smart, reliable, looks after the truck, doesn’t get taken the ■■■■ out of, and is good with people.

Basically there really difficult to find so when you do, make sure you make there life as easy as possible to hold onto them!

Some people are born to be good truckers.

Kermit the frog:
Hello all,

I would like to ask a couple of questions if I may & you know what they say,if you need answers, ask the experts,guys who have years of experience,learned lessons the hard way & have ‘been there & done that’.

However,those blokes were out so I thought I’d better ask you chaps! (& ladies of course).

Firstly,in your opinion what personal qualities do you require to be a good driver.I don’t just mean the ambition to start you’re own firm/earn the most dough etc,I mean the attitude and character traits to thrive/survive in a tough ever changing industry.

Secondly,if tomorrow was going to be your last day driving a truck,if you were asked for three tips about the job,from the new chap about to take the keys,what would they be?

Anyhow,thanks for reading this drivel,happy xmas & safe driving to you all.

Patience and common sense !

Coffeeholic:

Kermit the frog:
Secondly,if tomorrow was going to be your last day driving a truck,if you were asked for three tips about the job,from the new chap about to take the keys,what would they be?

Relax, it’s an easy job so no need to get wound up.

Plan ahead and give yourself time.

Avoid contact with other drivers as much as possible.

stop talking sense man, it will only antagonise people!

A good driver has extensive knowledge of the protistute community. He knows which ones are undercover lady pigs and which ones are safe for a good murdering.

The best way to accurately gauge how good a driver is would be to count the prostitute hearts he keeps in a Netto bag behind the seat.

am I on my own or does ANYONE find this funny?

del949:

I do too. I find most of the handsome devils posts funny.

del949:

Verging on the edge of poor taste

del949:

Heerrrmmm, …I think yer on yer own mate :unamused:

Phillip Mitchell:
no good drivers anymore all young kids driving dangerous should be 25 before licence given, every day see younguns takin rixs and doing danger stuff, ban em until 25 or 30 and no how to handle truck safey. good driver is safe driver

We’re not all bad so don’t tar us all with the same brush. Just because there’s a small minority that let us youngsters down…

As said before on this topic, some of the older drivers attitudes and habits are just as bad, if not worse.

Kermit the frog:
‘…what personal qualities do you require to be a good driver…’

Let’s think. How about the ability to:

1. Take hypocrisy from a worrying number of careworn participants within the industry that blithely talk-the-talk but don’t have much clue or concern of how to walk-the-walk.

2. Adequately cope with complacency.

3. Use one’s ears & mouth correlating to their ratio.

4. Not expect too much leadership to be shown from hitherto beacons of hope, ie, the Government, the Plod, the Highway Code…

5. Be tolerant at being the last individual at the scene of an ‘incident’ to be questioned by plod long after the guilty party that crashed into you from behind has been sent home from the scene.

6. Accept more & more foreign inspired legislation and ‘good ideas’ whilst stuff that’s already there is ignored at best if not pro-actively dismissed.

7. Start each shift at work in a new dirty lorry.

8. Understand that welfare is a dirty word.

9. Like machine ‘coffee’.

10. Be an educator to the customer to explain that you are primarily a driver & not the warehouse bloke that loaded the insecure load found spilled within the bowels of the trailer.

11. Politely ask cliques of UK based non-English speaking drivers to please consider using the host language rather than socially isolating the insecure natives.

12. Realise that zip-merging means five cars equate to one lorry in the minds of commuting Panzer Commanders.

del949:

‘…A good driver has extensive knowledge of the protistute community … which ones are safe for a good murdering … to count the prostitute hearts he keeps…’

‘…am I on my own or does ANYONE find this funny…?’

You’re defo in the minority :smiley:

1. Plan ahead, scan the road as far as you can see.
  2. Stay calm - don’t let other drivers mistakes to get over you (like we’ve got in here now, one new thread everyday about ES, morrison, foreign etc. drivers mistakes).
  3. Enjoy the job - if you do you will be much better and safer driver, if you don’t better find something else to do for a living.

Kermit the frog:
Hello all,

I would like to ask a couple of questions if I may & you know what they say,if you need answers, ask the experts,guys who have years of experience,learned lessons the hard way & have ‘been there & done that’.

However,those blokes were out so I thought I’d better ask you chaps! (& ladies of course).

Firstly,in your opinion what personal qualities do you require to be a good driver.I don’t just mean the ambition to start you’re own firm/earn the most dough etc,I mean the attitude and character traits to thrive/survive in a tough ever changing industry.

Anyhow,thanks for reading this drivel,happy xmas & safe driving to you all.

First,you need a Neard.In Grey,i would say.
and,Good Tip?
Only one :exclamation:
:arrow_right: Dont ask stupid Question,Never :bulb:

l949 wrote:

Verging on the edge of poor taste

did you complain about Clarkson too ■■ :unamused: It’s funny as ■■■■ I reckon :grimacing:

I don’t remember not finding Clarkson funny or commenting on it
Not particularly bothered by the bad taste, I quite enjoy black humour, I just didn’t think this post was at all witty, clever, or funny or even mildly original.
Funnies about this subject have been done to death already, but if it made you smile then OK, no problem.

I don’t think he’s funny, end of. :unamused:

Deesider:

Santa:
Top of my list would be reliability. I might forgive quite a lot to the driver who turns up, ready for work and on time every day; gets the job done without fuss, and looks after his truck.

MR VAIN:
Well, in my humble opinion, a good driver is one that actually has an interest in the job, takes pride in the job and who believes they should behave like an ambassador for the company they drive for. Not someone that constantly moans about the job and the idiots in the industry. :wink:

:slight_smile: I agree 100% with what Santa and MR VAIN have posted…

and my 3 tips for a new driver just starting with a company:

Keep your eyes open.
Keep your ears open.
Keep your mouth shut. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sums it up for me - emulate the Three Wise Monkeys; See all, Hear all, say nowt.