What is old school

Rog270:
Or…did I hit a raw nerve about 7/tonne drivers…and Mr Snowman is a 7/tonne driver…heck mate I started the same way…it was in 1975 though…

No raw nerve for me for two reasons
1 - Im not a 7.5 tonne driver
2 - Im well enough endowed not to let it bother me even if I was.
The boasters of driving artics and ■■■ pooing 7.5 tonners are usually trying to compensate for something else…

As for wanting my first post deciphered, I could explain it to you but unfortunately I cant understand it for you

“Old School” - I passed a class one test, and have been driving rigids on the side for years despite never having even taken a test on one.

I’m also licenced to drive a wagon & drag, despite having absolutely zero experience on them, including inductions… :blush:

Gone are the days when you could pass a single test, and be licenced to drive anything with black and yellow paint on it as well. :neutral_face:

James the cat:

Twoninety88:
Everything that seems outdated now like manual gearboxes, no power steering, day cabs on long distance general haulage, no night heaters, air driven wipers

Are you that Jap bloke who went into the jungle after WW2 and popped out in the 90s? When the camel balls did you last drive anything that had a wiper blade moved by a ■■■■ travelling up a rubber pipe?

1977, an N reg 240 BHP Volvo F88…satisfied?

Twoninety88:

James the cat:

Twoninety88:
Everything that seems outdated now like manual gearboxes, no power steering, day cabs on long distance general haulage, no night heaters, air driven wipers

Are you that Jap bloke who went into the jungle after WW2 and popped out in the 90s? When the camel balls did you last drive anything that had a wiper blade moved by a ■■■■ travelling up a rubber pipe?

Is that the last thing you drove before hibernation or did the idea that air wipers maybe a bit outdated only just dawn like a wet kipper about the face?

htmldude:

yt03:

Rog270:
No…and I don’t drive a 7/half tonner

I never mentioned a 7.5 tonner lol :open_mouth:

It’s alright for some, I got called an idiot :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: well… :unamused: :wink:

Winseer:
“Old School” - I passed a class one test, and have been driving rigids on the side for years despite never having even taken a test on one.

That’s some stunt, can I have your autograph?

Bluey Circles:
tell newbies in 40 years time; “we used to have to hold onto a steering wheel, seriously mate, we used to have to steer our own trucks”

:laughing: :laughing: I can picture that, very good.

Old Skool…I would classify it as respect for others as a matter of course and common sense, sadly two qualities that are disappearing fast.
With those two qualities life was somehow more pleasant and a whole lot easier no matter what you did.

The-Snowman:

Rog270:
Or…did I hit a raw nerve about 7/tonne drivers…and Mr Snowman is a 7/tonne driver…heck mate I started the same way…it was in 1975 though…

No raw nerve for me for two reasons
1 - Im not a 7.5 tonne driver
2 - Im well enough endowed not to let it bother me even if I was.
The boasters of driving artics and ■■■ pooing 7.5 tonners are usually trying to compensate for something else…

As for wanting my first post deciphered, I could explain it to you but unfortunately I cant understand it for you

It takes longer to tip and artic than a rigid in my experience. Less space, less ■■■■.

But you know. 7.5t drivers are pricks :unamused: :stuck_out_tongue:

James the cat:

Twoninety88:

James the cat:

Twoninety88:

Is that the last thing you drove before hibernation or did the idea that air wipers maybe a bit outdated only just dawn like a wet kipper about the face?

Wow ! you are full of one liners, we could keep this up and go through your full repertoire, but just to answer your vague question, no, that was in my very early days and was used as a metaphore. ~Thank you so much for your interest though.

Twoninety88:

James the cat:

Twoninety88:

1963 , what’s a test ■■

same as maps,never owned a sat nav,so I was looking in my carboot at my maps and another driver standing nearby said and I quote,you must be old school,unquote,i said yes mate,got no time for sat navs cannot beat a good map book

Rog270:
Idiot Tanker drivers don’t rope an sheet…but I can do a double dolly.old school see

:blush: bugger bin on tankers 32 years now you tell me you dont rope the load :laughing:

Double Dollys pulling the robe tight in the rain with the water running up your hand as you pull said rope standing on your load unrolling the sheet over the load , trying to fold the poxy thing once tipped again wind picking it up as you do ! yeh great days NOT ill stick with the Tankers thanks but i still class myself as old school

Found it nigh on impossible to tie a dolly while wearing gloves (even if I had any!) and during the winter the sides of my hands were split and as sore as hell !

Old school…back when all driver helped each other, we made a reasonable living and the latest gizmo was a decent heater. Power steering was not normal and mobile phones were called phone boxes. And nearly all trucks were British made !
Roping and sheeting was learned as a kid whilst being a drivers mate and you worked your way up from driving a van to a Bedford TK and finally something with a twin split !
And I don’t give a ■■■■ what you young ones think …THAT WAS THE BEST WAY TO LEARN AND BECOME PROFICIENT !

I started out in general haulage 1st load ever was a woodworkers lath took up the whole bed and i didnt have a clue how to rope it the old timer in the cue behind me showed me how to strangle it , general is without dout the best way to learn this game

3 wheeler:
Old school…back when all driver helped each other, we made a reasonable living and the latest gizmo was a decent heater. Power steering was not normal and mobile phones were called phone boxes. And nearly all trucks were British made !
Roping and sheeting was learned as a kid whilst being a drivers mate and you worked your way up from driving a van to a Bedford TK and finally something with a twin split !
And I don’t give a [zb] what you young ones think …THAT WAS THE BEST WAY TO LEARN AND BECOME PROFICIENT !

Not a lot to actually LEARN today mate, very few skills needed to drive a truck, nor to do the job in general.
A lot of this came about since it got to the stage where driving trucks is no different to driving a car.
It also done away with the means of naturally eliminating the crap drivers, ie the knob head filter, as now they all get through the net with no difficulty, and obtain licences.

I’m old school. I don’t give a ■■■■.

robroy:

3 wheeler:
And I don’t give a [zb] what you young ones think …THAT WAS THE BEST WAY TO LEARN AND BECOME PROFICIENT !

Not a lot to actually LEARN today mate, very few skills needed to drive a truck, nor to do the job in general.
A lot of this came about since it got to the stage where driving trucks is no different to driving a car.
It also done away with the means of naturally eliminating the crap drivers, ie the knob head filter, as now they all get through the net with no difficulty, and obtain licences.

Which is why the hay day is over and it’s a crap paid job with absolutely no respect left.
Apart from dinosaurs that still survive and treat lads right