What is a good driving job?

Alright chaps? I’ve been wandering around this site for a couple of months now. When I read people’s posts I have to wonder who actually has a decent driving job.
So far, from what I have read, I have concluded that multidrop is rubbish, handball is rubbish, store deliveries are rubbish, RDC deliveries are rubbish, tipper work is rubbish and generally for the insane, trunking is boring, delivering to building sites is rubbish, and dealing with agencies?..rubbish. Oh, the pay and long hours are also rubbish.

So, which driving jobs are actually good, anyone happy?

Well each to their own i think.As for me.I tramp.And i enjoy doing it.So i don’t see my job as being rubbish.

BreakerOneNine:

Lorry driving is a deadend job.
I’m happy doing very little driving, talking half the day, and drinking tea.
and not having to worry about my driving time/wtd.

I do multi drop,10-15 drops a day in a class one…I enjoy it enough to have stuck it for 11 years,yes it’s hard work but I don’t mind it…it keeps me fit(ish).

The right job really depends on the individual, but during my days doing haulage work I think the best jobs I had weren’t to do with what I was hauling, but how I was treated and the people I worked with.

BreakerOneNine:

Absolutely!

Good money, pay rise every year, Monday to Friday, home before 5pm every day, no nights out, no weekends, good kit, no cab hopping, nobody else drives my wagon, good boss, left alone, easy work, walking distance from my house, the list goes on…

I’m happier than a pig in ■■■■! :sunglasses:

I’m never happy! When I’m sitting about doing nothing I wish I was trunking. When I’m trunking I wish I was sitting about. When I’m Nightshift I wish I was day shift. Etc etc

So for me a mix is best

Any job that doesn’t involve mixing with the average waggin drivah

I am happy and on decent money driving class 2 moving forklift trucks.
On a busy day it can be up to six drops/pick ups sometimes multiple trucks and its all interesting places/sites from farms to RDC’s.
Quite often its just one drop if your down in say Bridgend overnight or the North East for an early drop with maybe a pick up or two on the way back.
Good variety and exercise too :sunglasses:
I love it :smiley:

I’m happy too, good company to work for, well treated, well paid, 110% legal, short working hours and week, home every night, respectful attitudes all round, decent work and good well maintained equipment, what is there to be unhappy about.

The secret is knowing when you have a good job, and then doing your best to make sure it lasts…oh and keeping schtum so idiots don’t get in and bollox it up.

Any job that you are happy with. Not necessarily what someone on TNET koolaid says.

What is your definition of “rubbish?”

I do store delivery work which is difficult/hard work. It’s very well paid though, so not a “rubbish” job.

I think a good driving job would be one that fits your own lifestyle, and you feel that you’re recompensed appropriately for the effort/skill involved.

F-reds:

Any job that you are happy with. Not necessarily what someone on TNET koolaid says.

+1

To me a good driving job is a well planned and well executed job, but with enough elasticity and maneuverability to adjust and adapt to the daily trials and tribulations thrown at us, If the whole company has this mantra (from the Boss down) then that in my opinion would fit into the “good job” category, (a tidy motor and a decent wage would also go a fair way to swaying my opinion too) :smiley:

I’ve got a great job or so I keep getting told.

Long hours, away from home for long periods, lots of weekend work, expected to work outside regardless of the weather. can spend many hours either hot and sweaty or wet and cold or just cold, loads of physical graft.

Yep best job I’ve ever had. :laughing:

Depends on you. Some want to be away all week some want to do europe and be away weeks at a time. Others like night trunks or containers with lots of sitting about. Others like shop deliverys or skips and tippers which usualy mean regular set hours but been busy all day.
Theres no right or wrong answer its what suits you.

Drift:
I am happy and on decent money driving class 2 moving forklift trucks.
On a busy day it can be up to six drops/pick ups sometimes multiple trucks and its all interesting places/sites from farms to RDC’s.
Quite often its just one drop if your down in say Bridgend overnight or the North East for an early drop with maybe a pick up or two on the way back.
Good variety and exercise too :sunglasses:
I love it :smiley:

Similar sort of thing, I deliver construction plant predominantly with beaver tail / hiab but it’s pretty varied and I have carried just about everything from telephone boxes and Christmas trees to a Russian mig23 fuselage as well as the more usual plant and materials.

Typically 2-300kms a day, 10 hr or so with up to 8 or so load / unload operation if within 30-40 mile radius but can be sent further afield, out and back in a day and it could happen. Never done a night out yet on it and same vehicle everyday.

Quite often don’t need a map for several days as going to previously visited sites or told by other driver.

Can be physically tough and especially this time of year a bit mucky but pay is better than just about anything else driving wise around here. There will be drivers earning more but working a lot more for it.

BreakerOneNine:
Alright chaps? I’ve been wandering around this site for a couple of months now. When I read people’s posts I have to wonder who actually has a decent driving job.
So far, from what I have read, I have concluded that multidrop is rubbish, handball is rubbish, store deliveries are rubbish, RDC deliveries are rubbish, tipper work is rubbish and generally for the insane, trunking is boring, delivering to building sites is rubbish, and dealing with agencies?..rubbish. Oh, the pay and long hours are also rubbish.

Thanks for starting this thread, interesting to read people’s different experiences. I’d be interested to hear how opinions differ with the person’s age / experience too.
As a relatively new (and already fed up) Class 2 hiab driver working for a crap company doing what seems pretty ‘rubbish’ work in all weathers and all hours of the day for dirt cheap money without anyone ever asking if it’s okay that I’ll need to stay several hours late just to get all the work done. I’ve been asking around at burger bars, gas stations e.t.c - and the general comments I have found is that driving is not what it used to be, and the industry is changing fast. Which brings us back to the original question, can there be good jobs?

…Perhaps then if you get lucky, or live an abnormal and flexible lifestyle which can work with the industry’s needs.

think ive got it 9 hour day on vac tanker 30 mins tea break 45 for dinner get the work
done get no hassel

Farms collecting and delivering…No city work, no industrial estates, the odd dock job.
Love being out in the country with real people who do not appear to be stressed :sunglasses:
Challenging when wet and collecting off the field, you have actually drive the vehicle :wink:
Challenging when you do not have a farm name/address, just a bunch of directions and landmarks to follow…In the dark, in the rain…Love it, you really have to use your intuition and brain.
Hate a postcode, satnav…A proper address seems a bit strange, just give me a phone number of someone who knows where you are supposed to be :sunglasses: