What is a good driving job?

BreakerOneNine:
Alright chaps? I’ve been wandering around this site for a couple of months now. When I read people’s posts I have to wonder who actually has a decent driving job.
So far, from what I have read, I have concluded that multidrop is rubbish, handball is rubbish, store deliveries are rubbish, RDC deliveries are rubbish, tipper work is rubbish and generally for the insane, trunking is boring, delivering to building sites is rubbish, and dealing with agencies?..rubbish. Oh, the pay and long hours are also rubbish.

So, which driving jobs are actually good, anyone happy?

I absolutely love where I’m at. No charging about, no running bent, paid breaks but no tipping on break or you face disciplinary, decent pay, fleet maintained well maintained, quite rare to do 12hrs. Everything done as it should be.

BreakerOneNine:
a decent driving job.

Theres no such thing:!:

Get a job on recovery with the AA.

8 to 9 hours a day and about 30,000 per annum, I could live with that,but then again supermarket drivers are already on that if I am not mistaken

As ever with this question it cones down to one thing, what makes you happy? There are plenty different jobs out there under the driving banner, some I’ve done & plenty I haven’t. I’m the type that enjoys a job that has me going to different places & not repeating the same thing shift after shift as I get bored fairly quickly. Money, although essential, has never been a motivator for me, I’ve left better paying jobs to try something that looks interesting but once bored I will move on again.

Ha! I’d be so much happier if I had a massive wedge & didn’t have to work! :laughing: But, in all seriousness, I’ve done worse jobs - I have decent pay, pleasant & helpful workmates, good bosses, mostly excellent vehicles to drive… I work bloody hard & do long hours, the job ■■■■■■ me off at times, other times it’s a doddle - that’s a fair description of any job! I much prefer trunking to locals - partly cos I like actually driving, not sitting in a truck for 3 hours waiting for a loading bay, partly cos I can sit in a nice warm cab listening to my choice of music, have a break when & were I decide is appropriate, I get to know loads of the UK I’ve never been to, it keeps me physically & mentally active. I feel quite privileged to be part of a workforce which people seem to think is easy, but in reality is made up of hard-working, smart & intelligent people (even if some do hide it well :wink: ) :slight_smile:

Well I gave up a class 2 job on £10hr doing multi drop in the centre of London for a firm like 3663/brakes etc to do class 1 tipper work for a starting pay of £9hr. I now do 3-4 places a day, start later,do less hours and obviously not a lot of physical work now.

Had to rush around loads before tipping on breaks, removing card early to get the drops done in a day or you got the boss on your case. Now I’m chilling, if I can’t get somewhere in time I either leave it and go back to base or have a night out and earn abit more dosh.

Depends what your after truck wise as well I suppose, gone from a 1yr old one to a 11yr old with a few scares on the bodywork.

Im happy.

There are very few ‘perfect’’ jobs in this industry. Not many drivers work 7am - 4pm Monday to Friday whilst clearing 30k, anybody that does has no room to complain.

If your not prepared to work long hours/work unsociable hours/start at daft o’clock/tramp then your earning potential is limited. You just have to find the compromise with your home life which works best for you. Mine is nights, but each to their own.