What If ?

What if Scotland vote YES in the Independence referendum come September. I heard the EU president catagorically stating that there would be no automatic entry for an independent Scotland into the EU. (In my humble opinion i could live without being in the EU). What im wondering about is the tacho rules. Do we adopt our own rules or follow AETR rules like other non EU states and will we need new tacho cards or stop using them and use the old style log book like my old man used to use ?

Personally speaking i will vote YES to an independent Scotland but never have and never will support that wee round tub of lard Alex Salmond Cant stand the man especially the way he bows to the EU. No doubt if its a YES vote he will stand on the ramparts of Stirling castle bragging how he saved us from the tyranny of the English and then declare himself King of Scotland.

I wonder if King Salmond would reduce fuel tax, he seems to want to reduce every other tax which leads to the question how does Scotland pay for itself?
I couldn’t give a toss which way the vote goes added I couldn’t get to vote anyway I an English (use to be British :laughing: )

They will probably adobt the AETR regs, But they won’t be officially signed up to them, It’ll take a few years.
They will need to have border controls in place. They won’t be part of the EU, EEA, or Shengen.
Done right, Scotland could benefit greatly from this. They could have the cheapest fuel in Europe. Cheapest tobacco and alchohol.
I’m suprised they havn’t used tobacco and fuel duty to get votes.

More like The Last King Of Scotland , as we would be up the proverbial creek , can see where this thread will lead , tin hat and earmuffs at the ready.

might sound daft,but if scotland did become independent what if they made uk lorries pay to go into scotland,could happen as a way to raise revenue

ND888 BIGJ:
What if Scotland vote YES in the Independence referendum come September. I heard the EU president catagorically stating that there would be no automatic entry for an independent Scotland into the EU.

Scotland could never enter the EU, they need the approval of each and every member and Spain, by law, will refuse entry as they don’t want an independent Basque region, they amended their constitution accordingly.

So the point is moot, Scotland will have to come up with their own tacho rules, the easiest would be to just adopt the EU one as their own.

Yes it will probably decend into a mud slinging match or a re inactment of the battle of Bannockburn.

But i am more intereted in the implications for the transport industry be it goods or passenger transport. Its an excellent chance for a blank canvas ie drivers hours, proper rest area with decent facilities at a reasonable cost .

So if we could leave the bashing each other over the head alone that would be lovely.

We all moan and groan about the rules, facilities ect .Scotland may get a chance to do things properly regarding this industry
so what would you change ? what would you like to see at rest areas ?

ND888 BIGJ:
Its an excellent chance for a blank canvas ie drivers hours, proper rest area with decent facilities at a reasonable cost .

No it isn’t a blank canvas, Scotland can’t afford to redo everything from scratch, they would just copy existing rules, that means a brush stroke over everything and carry on as normal.

It would take a generation to redo everything, and driving hours let alone rest areas will be on the bottom of a 10,000 item list.

Customs posts and passports at the ready :wink: :wink: and you can keep ur dodgy money too

Nevermind Spain, I can’t see Britain voting to let them in either.

I hope they vote yes.
I hope they don’t get the £.
I hope they repay for RBS.
I hope they repay any other portion of the debt.
I hope we rebuild that wall :wink:.
I hope we charge them for each business transaction done with the UK.
I hope the get into Europe.
I hope we get out of Europe!

nick2008:
Customs posts and passports at the ready :wink: :wink: and you can keep ur dodgy money too

Will have to be as the UK is ex-Schengen so there will be a manned border between Scotland and England as soon as Scotland gaines its independence.

wheelnutt:

nick2008:

Will have to be as the UK is ex-Schengen so there will be a manned border between Scotland and England as soon as Scotland gaines its independence.

where do I sign :wink: :wink:

The idea of Scotland not wanting to be part of the UK union but wanting to be part of what will inevitably be a Federal Europe makes no sense.Just like in the case of the Irish republic.Whereas a seperate Scotland and England with neither being part of the EU makes perfect sense.In which case the border between Scotland and England and the EU would work the same as that between Sweden and Norway.IE no big deal.

If Scotland became independent and wasn’t in the EU, I think they would still work under AETR regs, they would be a lot of cross border traffic and this would keep everything nice and easy, and I can’t see a government deregulating its transport industry, mostly it would be down to what type of government The Scottish people voted for.

Just because Scotland isn’t in the EU it wouldn’t mean it couldn’t trade with EU countries, in a similar way it does now, but it would need many bilateral agreements or maybe membership of the EEA, which would mean signing up for many of the EU regulations. it might get away with EFTA only membership like Switzerland, but its unlikely, as te EU isn’t happy about the amount of bilateral trade agreements it has to have to make Switzerlands EFTA membership work.

As for getting better trucks stops, why does being part of the UK or EU stop that?
It comes down to economics and planning permissions, and there are very good truck stops in other parts of Europe that make anything in the UK seem like a slum.

Prehaps english operators will flag out to scotland. Truckyboy could be flat out low loadering trucks north to be re registered.

muckles:
If Scotland became independent and wasn’t in the EU, I think they would still work under AETR regs, they would be a lot of cross border traffic and this would keep everything nice and easy, and I can’t see a government deregulating its transport industry, mostly it would be down to what type of government The Scottish people voted for.

Just because Scotland isn’t in the EU it wouldn’t mean it couldn’t trade with EU countries, in a similar way it does now, but it would need many bilateral agreements or maybe membership of the EEA, which would mean signing up for many of the EU regulations. it might get away with EFTA only membership like Switzerland, but its unlikely, as te EU isn’t happy about the amount of bilateral trade agreements it has to have to make Switzerlands EFTA membership work.

It’s time that the non EU countries,and possibly future non EU countries,stood up to the EU cartel by saying that the EU has more to lose by continuing to use blackmail to force trading countries into joining the Federalist scam one way or another.IE I think the Germans for one would lose more in a proper ■■■ for tat trade war than the we would.Especially with a new EFTA made up of England,Scotland,Norway and Switzerland.

NewLad:

I hope they vote yes.

Agree isn’t it about time the English had a vote to kick Scotland our of Great Britain

Dafman:

NewLad:

I hope they vote yes.

Agree isn’t it about time the English had a vote to kick Scotland our of Great Britain

Where is the ‘like’ button?

Sorry to burst your bubbles but we are going no where. the proddies dont want to break up the uk and most of us see salmond as living in his own wee world

Radio 2’s vine show the other day (Thursday?) was very pro yes vote