What have you learned this week?

I’ve learned how to bodge a leak on a tank so as the whole load can be discharged before repair. Need 2 peices of wood, roll of duck tape, a duster and a hose pipe, then fix in place as below:

Managed to get the full load of cement off only 15 mins longer than usual, which was very good as I was running at half usual pressure.

Also found out that WG Tanks welders can work fast when needed, (cheers lads) they got me in and out in 2 hrs as I was running out of time. The last smaller repair that they did took 4 hrs.

edit: the boss learned that we need new tanks, as mine is 11 yrs old and we have another one at 9 yrs old, and they are starting to cost a bit in repairs

That I hate shopping for clothes to wear :angry: for my daughters’ wedding :smiley: in 5 weeks time - wish I could go in a pair of trackies and a T-shirt :open_mouth: :laughing:

sod job security :laughing:

I learnt how bloody expensive the humber bridge is :open_mouth: Isn’t it disgraceful that there are absolutely no indications of the toll until you actually get to the toll booth and it’s put up on the screen? Just before you get there, there are some signs giving the car price at £2.70, but no mention of HGV cost. I had a word with the woman in the booth, who agreed with me and said they had been asking for ages for some signs to be put up before the crossing.

I also learned that she wasn’t happy with my suggestion of reversing back over the bridge if I didn’t want to pay £18.30 :laughing: . She obviously didn’t know who I was :laughing: :laughing: :blush:

I think the other thing I learnt goes without saying :blush: :blush:

grumpybum:
I learnt how bloody expensive the humber bridge is :open_mouth: Isn’t it disgraceful that there are absolutely no indications of the toll until you actually get to the toll booth and it’s put up on the screen? Just before you get there, there are some signs giving the car price at £2.70, but no mention of HGV cost. I had a word with the woman in the booth, who agreed with me and said they had been asking for ages for some signs to be put up before the crossing.

I also learned that she wasn’t happy with my suggestion of reversing back over the bridge if I didn’t want to pay £18.30 :laughing: . She obviously didn’t know who I was :laughing: :laughing: :blush:

I think the other thing I learnt goes without saying :blush: :blush:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

body clocks,it takes more than a week on holiday to get the waking up at silly oclock in the morning out of your system :cry: :cry: :cry: .

patience, shouting at the person your learning to drive doesnt make there driving improve it makes it a sight worse

i dont think i learnt anything i didnt all ready know last week
as my misses says “i know it all” :slight_smile:

patience, shouting at the person your learning to drive doesnt make there driving improve it makes it a sight worse

whats prompted you to make the above comment?

ROG:

learning or teaching?

ROG:

been learning someone to drive and after theyd forgot mirror, signal, manovere i shouted at them. they were doing really well up untill then , but i wanted perfection and wasnt getting it so shouted at them hoping it would get to them so theyd do it all the time. it did get to her but it in a negative way and her driving went completely to bits [ she was shaking a bit] .
shes now decided to learn with a driving school .which i suppose is her choice but i think she should take into account i wasnt charging her wheras a proper instructor will

I learnt that there is a god, and I start my new tomorrow :sunglasses:
And that my old employers seem to be very very spiteful going off the letter I recieved from them this morning.

B1 GGK:
And that my old employers seem to be very very spiteful going off the letter I recieved from them this morning.

Good luck with the new job fella. :wink:

I learned that you pay for a week on holiday when you get back to discover that in the only two days it was used, the agency driver using your truck has: -

1. Broken the tacho head.
  2. Broken the O/S door handle off.
  3. Caked (and i mean CAKED) the suzies with grease.

Before anyone starts - yes - it could easily have been a staff driver - but in this instance it happens to be an agency driver.

I have also learned that rushing about gets you nowhere. Just ask the screwdriver in the FH in Cambridge Services Tuesday lunchtime who couldn’t wait 30 seconds while I reversed into a space. I was having a shunt as he pulled out from the space opposite. Rather than just wait a moment, he gave it a bit of left hand down to get out.

It was just unfortunate that he forgot the DAF rigid parked to his left. But don’t worry - he remembered it when he heard the loud crunch that immediately followed. :unamused:

flying_fenman:
3) Caked (and i mean CAKED) the suzies with grease

He must have driven my truck on Monday when I was off, same thing with the suzies plus the drivers door and air deflector also caked in grease. I got my own back though because I learned that when you complain about the agency driver smoking in your cab he won’t be driving it again as he will no longer be working in there. :wink: :smiley:

ive learned that the french definition of an ‘english breakfast’ on thr euro funnel is really sliced potatoes with a pasta sauce. back to all bran as of tomorrow :laughing:

Iv’e learned the sooner i cease to be an agency driver (still HM Forces and proffesional in everthing i do) and emmigrate to Canada the happier i’ll be. :slight_smile:

Half term off with the kids sounds really good but the reality is a completely different thing.

1. Robert Green is England’s best keeper by a mile. :sunglasses:
  2. Nobby Solano is paid more in a week than I make in a year and CANNOT HEAD A BLOODY FOOTBALL. :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:
  3. The price of fuel will go up and up in the coming weeks due to the record high price of crude oil. Good job none of us work in an industry that relies heavily on diese…ah! :blush: :blush: :open_mouth:

B1 GGK:

anyone i know??

good luck btw

hammer:

1. Robert Green is England’s best keeper by a mile. :sunglasses:
  2. Nobby Solano is paid more in a week than I make in a year and CANNOT HEAD A BLOODY FOOTBALL. :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:
    :blush: :blush: :open_mouth:

and long may that continue at least for a couple of weeks :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing:

:unamused: I have learned that when the office are concerned that in the past 2 weeks I had been slammed :open_mouth: (news to me and my comfy bunk :laughing: ) that the decision to have an agency guy in for 2 weeks to take the pressure off would in fact lump it on :imp:

When I roll in for a late start on Tuesday I learned that despite clear instruction the night before he had taken my pre loaded trailer 2 hours previously and not taken an empty to do an early collection :open_mouth: Thus I learned I would be running around like the proverbial blue reared fly to catch up his work :unamused: Whilst he sat all day waiting to get tipped at a factory I have an “in” at and can always tip early hence why it was my run :unamused:

I further learned that on Thursday I arrive to find that his lorry had broken down when on a night run. So I then learned that contrary to instruction to take the 54 ERF that was free that day he took it upon himself to get my keys and take my motor 05 Highline :unamused: So the office learned that he had switched the fone off and that he had all my stuff, tachos(yeah I know), gloves, hivis, coat and essential paperwork. So upon finding replacement items and getting a covering letter I learned I still hate ERFs :laughing: :laughing: I also learned that having finally been contacted and explained to him that i was not just narked about nicking my lorry but he had my tachos that said tachos mysteriously disappeared :imp:

The following day upon reacquiring my motor I learned how to untangle spaghetti suzies whilst trying to stay clean :unamused: I then learned that upon hooking up that my trailer had no off side lights at all :imp: I soon learned that the tools from the tool kit were missing and the fuse box cover was loose :unamused: Having borrowed a torx key I learned that someone had indeed been in the fuse box as the fuse for said lights was in fact not there :imp: Not blown but not there :unamused:

So all in all I learned that no matter how good an impression we try to make, it only takes one Muppet to sink it.
I also learned we won’t be using that particular agency again :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
I also was reminded how helpful and realistic the office staff are :smiley: Especially when I am that peed off that early in the morning :blush: :blush:

and as with Fenman usually it’s the full timers that need the kick but in this instance one agency man set back the good work of the many others :unamused: