What has happened here?

birminghamupdates.com/post/12077 … great-barr

This is whats causing the jams on the M6 at Birmingham this afternoon.

Looks like a container skel has somehow fallen apart? :question: Pictures in the link.

Also here: twitter.com/BhamUpdates/status/ … 84/photo/1

What another one :unamused:

Pins not locked in probably causing the slider to gradually open

Not again!! :open_mouth:
I’m assuming all the other cases were investigated and found to be driver error otherwise these wouldn’t still be on the road.

where’s the back bogie gone ?

nick2008:
What another one :unamused:

Pins not locked in probably causing the slider to gradually open

Not possible anymore. That’s a new style Dennison, they lock the pins as soon as you push the park brake in, at the worst ways it will catch on the 40ft position. That’s a serious mechanical failure, rather than driver error

jeffrey ellener:
where’s the back bogie gone ?

Somewhere down the road I assume. Amazing there wasn’t a pile up really.

According to someone who claims to be workmates with that truck driver, the skelly was hit from behind by another truck which broke the pins…

Quick, Check the chassis number see if its ex deben :wink:

Here’s 1 of the pics off Facebook, shows damage to N/S/R and another truck on the hard shoulder…

As I said, the person has said that the other truck hit the rear of the skelly breaking the pins.

Don’t know, looks suspicious, the red paint, probably from the front half, and the skid marks. Could possibly have been hit after the trailer broke. Breaking pins is feasible, but I’m not sure about the stoppers. And the distance from the box hitting the deck to stopping suggests he was on the limiter, another truck would have to be doing 80 to shear both pins hitting one corner

The scania looked a mess when I went past :neutral_face: :neutral_face:

I don’t see how being hit from the rear would have caused that, or ended up that way, it logically just doesn’t work in my head, but that’s why I’m not an accident investigator.

I would have thought being hit would have forced the skelly to close up not fall apart.

It’ll be interesting to know the outcome / cause

nick2008:
I would have thought being hit would have forced the skelly to close up not fall apart.

It’ll be interesting to know the outcome / cause

Surely if its got a box on then its locked in place? I don’t do containers so I could be sprouting hot air.

Wearing my trainee TNUKCSI hat and going by picture alone so I could be miles off I would guess that a sudden dramatic event has happened in front of the box jockey causing the driver to brake sharply, this would put the pins of the trailer under heavy stress as the bogie wheels braked.

The truck behind has not enough time to react and has clobbered the side of the rear of the trailer trying to take avoiding action. This change in forces and twisting of the trailer has been enough to knock the pins out and the following more severe braking hasnt allowed the pins to relock in place as it was to fast and the force of tge braking bogie wheels has even broke the rear stoppers and as all air was quickly lost everything came to a stop quite quickly.

The offside pin could have been knocked out at impact and the sudden wiggle of the trailer has caused the nearside pin to also become dislodged from its locked position.

Mechanical rather than driver error well apart from the truck that crashed into the box jockey but not enough info to make an illinformed assesment, one would speculate he was driving closer than his stopping talent allowed.

Just guessin really…

waynedl:
According to someone who claims to be workmates with that truck driver, the skelly was hit from behind by another truck which broke the pins…

Doubt that. The truck coming up behind suddenly found the rear part of a Skelly parked in his lane, and swerved a d braked to try and avoid it. No way he would have hit that skelly hard enough from behind, in moving traffic, to break those pins. And parking up on the hard shoulder afterwards?? Pull the otger one.

As previously said being hit from behind would have caused it to close up, not open, although it could’ve just buggered the whole sliding system when hit. Knocking the pins out however would be tough, I think they would just break off allowing it to slide if anything.

[album]4408[/album]

This isn’t going to just pop out IMO

Some trailer pins barely stick out past the body.

Dipper_Dave:

True, although it still isn’t going to pop back in. Usually it’s the older ones that have been worn down as far as I’ve experienced & that looks like a new trailer to me.

DJC:

Dipper_Dave:

True, although it still isn’t going to pop back in. Usually it’s the older ones that have been worn down as far as I’ve experienced & that looks like a new trailer to me.

Glad to hear your amazing experience…

You could always ask Freightliner about that, who’ve put memo’s out informing drivers to double check all pins are protruding FULLY due to a failure…

But, obviously, you know better :unamused:

As I’ve said previously, I’ve had a pin literally drop out, fell out of the the skelly and onto the floor.

The info I posted above was on Facebook, and I did say ‘allegedly’, I can’t confirm the information, but sounds plausible to me.