What has happened here?

waynedl:

DJC:

Dipper_Dave:
Some trailer pins barely stick out past the body.

True, although it still isn’t going to pop back in. Usually it’s the older ones that have been worn down as far as I’ve experienced & that looks like a new trailer to me.

Glad to hear your amazing experience…

You could always ask Freightliner about that, who’ve put memo’s out informing drivers to double check all pins are protruding FULLY due to a failure…

But, obviously, you know better :unamused:

As I’ve said previously, I’ve had a pin literally drop out, fell out of the the skelly and onto the floor.

The info I posted above was on Facebook, and I did say ‘allegedly’, I can’t confirm the information, but sounds plausible to me.

I’ve a mate had this happen to him, though he was on premises, and claimed that they asked him lower it :wink: he;d closed the skelly to tip, then was asked to move onto another door, was only a moderately loaded box so he left it closed, touch the brake at one point the skelly locked up, and he kept going, sheered off the stops and separated, all at about 10 mph :unamused:

eddie snax:

waynedl:

DJC:

Dipper_Dave:

True, although it still isn’t going to pop back in. Usually it’s the older ones that have been worn down as far as I’ve experienced & that looks like a new trailer to me.

You could always ask Freightliner about that, who’ve put memo’s out informing drivers to double check all pins are protruding FULLY due to a failure…

As I’ve said previously, I’ve had a pin literally drop out, fell out of the the skelly and onto the floor.

The info I posted above was on Facebook, and I did say ‘allegedly’, I can’t confirm the information, but sounds plausible to me.

I’ve a mate had this happen to him, though he was on premises, and claimed that they asked him lower it :wink: he;d closed the skelly to tip, then was asked to move onto another door, was only a moderately loaded box so he left it closed, touch the brake at one point the skelly locked up, and he kept going, sheered off the stops and separated, all at about 10 mph :unamused:

The stops aren’t going to stop any reasonable power or momentum, they’re designed for you ‘gently’ stretching it out to know when you’re all the way open and not fall apart, but give it some welly and they’ll break quite easily I’d have thought.
Something I’ve worried about in the past with a badly maintained skelly and fully loaded 30t 20’ box, stretching it out and it doesn’t want to budge, so you give it that bit more, gotta be ready on the brakes when it does start going.

waynedl:

DJC:

Dipper_Dave:

Maybe you misunderstood what I was getting at, you’ve been doing containers for far longer than I have and don’t doubt that could happen.

DJC:

waynedl:

DJC:

Dipper_Dave:

Maybe you misunderstood what I was getting at, you’ve been doing containers for far longer than I have and don’t doubt that could happen.

I know that Freightliner have grounded some of their trailers after the pins weren’t protruding far enough and with the movement of the rear part of a skelly, it was entirely possible for it to wedge on the pin, damaging it, possibly shoving it back in or blowing the chamber that moves the pin.
All drivers instructed to make sure the pins are coming all the way through before moving - and they have a guy who goes around checking stuff randomly when you’re in the yard, vehicle checks, trailer checks, position checks etc… Any driver that isn’t 100% probably won’t be there long.

looks like an old trailer . So prob when you release the pins the the brakes don’t come on so you have to drop the red airline to slide it forward then he’s put the red airline on forgot to press for the pins to come out .when he had put the 40ft on the only thing holding the whole thing together is the rear twist locks then as soon as he has locked up hard the rear twist locks have sheared allowing the whole front half to hit the deck and the rear axles to lock up when the air lines are sheared it used to happen more on the old type trailers with the handle you used to pull out . Funnily enough this happened right outside my house a few years ago and the company name is familiar too

chester1:
looks like an old trailer . So prob when you release the pins the the brakes don’t come on so you have to drop the red airline to slide it forward then he’s put the red airline on forgot to press for the pins to come out .when he had put the 40ft on the only thing holding the whole thing together is the rear twist locks then as soon as he has locked up hard the rear twist locks have sheared allowing the whole front half to hit the deck and the rear axles to lock up when the air lines are sheared it used to happen more on the old type trailers with the handle you used to pull out

Did you even look at the same picture??

Firstly, it’s clearly only a 20’ box on.
Secondly, that’s NOT an old trailer.
Third, the rear twist locks are clearly still on the rear of the trailer

:open_mouth: :unamused:

TNUK CSI you are definitely not

waynedl:

chester1:
looks like an old trailer . So prob when you release the pins the the brakes don’t come on so you have to drop the red airline to slide it forward then he’s put the red airline on forgot to press for the pins to come out .when he had put the 40ft on the only thing holding the whole thing together is the rear twist locks then as soon as he has locked up hard the rear twist locks have sheared allowing the whole front half to hit the deck and the rear axles to lock up when the air lines are sheared it used to happen more on the old type trailers with the handle you used to pull out

Your some sort of arrogant ■■■■ ain’t you . Yes you are right it is only a 20 only saw a pic from behind my bad but most of the same applies just with out the aid of the rear twist locks

Chester, that trailer is max 2 years old, identifiable by the reflective tape rather than chevron boards, and the side skirts. They are push button sliders, not airline sliders. The button pops out as soon as you push the trailer brake button in, thus locking the pins out. The chances of the driver making it to that point of the m6 without previous problems, are pretty much zero. That is without doubt mechanical failure and not driver error. And your point about airline sliders doesn’t hold any weight either, as the pins open and lock on the same principle as modern push buttons. The pins lock out when the airline is put back on the braking system. The only way you theory about the driver not locking the pins could work, would be on an earlier push button system, which dennison phased out about 4 years ago. I’ve not used a new sdc, so don’t know if it’s possible to leave the pins retracted, but that trailer is definitely a dennison, so I know it’s impossible on that trailer

waynedl:

eddie snax:
[I’ve a mate had this happen to him, though he was on premises, and claimed that they asked him lower it :wink: he;d closed the skelly to tip, then was asked to move onto another door, was only a moderately loaded box so he left it closed, touch the brake at one point the skelly locked up, and he kept going, sheered off the stops and separated, all at about 10 mph :unamused:

The stops aren’t going to stop any reasonable power or momentum, they’re designed for you ‘gently’ stretching it out to know when you’re all the way open and not fall apart, but give it some welly and they’ll break quite easily I’d have thought.
Something I’ve worried about in the past with a badly maintained skelly and fully loaded 30t 20’ box, stretching it out and it doesn’t want to budge, so you give it that bit more, gotta be ready on the brakes when it does start going.

Yes I know, so does My mate, this was about 7 years ago on a Montracon that was about 6 years old then, it had been altered in theory to prevent the pins from being able to be released unless the trailer parking brake is applied, but this failed and the pins didn’t set home, he moved assuming they had and the rest is history :wink:

waynedl:
According to someone who claims to be workmates with that truck driver, the skelly was hit from behind by another truck which broke the pins…

Another wagon defo hit it,because it was on the hard shoulder a few hundred yards further north,with bad damage to osf of his cab.

halewood:

waynedl:
According to someone who claims to be workmates with that truck driver, the skelly was hit from behind by another truck which broke the pins…

Another wagon defo hit it,because it was on the hard shoulder a few hundred yards further north,with bad damage to osf of his cab.

There’s no doubt at all that another wagon hit the rear of the trailer, the guy on Facebook claims it was hit and that’s what caused it to break, others say it was hit after it had broke - both possible, I’ve no idea, I wasn’t there.

chester1:

waynedl:

chester1:

Your some sort of arrogant [zb] ain’t you . Yes you are right it is only a 20 only saw a pic from behind my bad but most of the same applies just with out the aid of the rear twist locks

Yes mate, arrogant ■■■■ for sure, but at least I’ve got a brain cell and eyes, and use them both before commenting :wink:

waynedl:

halewood:

waynedl:

There’s no doubt at all that another wagon hit the rear of the trailer, the guy on Facebook claims it was hit and that’s what caused it to break, others say it was hit after it had broke - both possible, I’ve no idea, I wasn’t there.

Had to wait til this morning to find out, but I’ve been told by a very reliable source, that the Searon truck was struck from behind by another truck whilst slowing down due to traffic. This caused the failure off the locking pins, with the resulting separation off the trailer :wink:

I saw the aftermath and I reckon,the other wagon hit the trailer after it broke.The damage to the other wagon was pretty bad,but it didn’t look serious enough to cause that skell to snap.

Trucknet CSI crack another case :smiley:

halewood:
I saw the aftermath and I reckon,the other wagon hit the trailer after it broke.The damage to the other wagon was pretty bad,but it didn’t look serious enough to cause that skell to snap.

I asked the question of someone who should be in the know, and he said that what he been told through email was as I described in my earlier post. I wasn’t there, so I’m just putting forward what I was told to a direct question :wink: