What ever happened to

that fella with the supergun affair :question: wasnt he going to iraq or somewhere and was locked up for months thinking that the steel pipe was some long range gun :question:

was his name paul :question:

whatever happened to him and his truck. :question:

Im sure i met someone who used to work with him when i used to go to Greece in 2002 Alex, think i remember being told he only went as far as Greece or Turkey, anywhere else past there was a bit of a problem :blush:

That steel pipe was part of a gun barrel, although it wasn’t known at the time it was made, that saga ended up closing down the Matrix company in Coventry formely the Gauge and Tool, I read a book about it by the MD of the Matrix about all the wheeling and dealing going on behind the secnes

deleted

dieseldog6:
I read a book about it by the MD of the Matrix about all the wheeling and dealing going on behind the secnes

that would be quite interesting what would the book be called. :question:

jessicas dad:
that fella with the supergun affair :question: wasnt he going to iraq or somewhere and was locked up for months thinking that the steel pipe was some long range gun :question:

I think the name of the company was Ben Haulage.

jessicas dad:

Yes his name WAS Paul and he came from the Northampton area :wink: Cant remember his surname though :unamused: If ‘Truckerash’ EVER gets round to it :laughing: He will definately know of him and probably know what he’s doing now

i remember he had a daf spacecab and yes northampton rings a bell.

I used to go to school with him lost contact over the years last i heard was he gave up on the uk & now lives in spain.
His name is Paul Ashwell, Ben haulage was the name (his eldest son) it was run & owned by paul & his father in law.
After the supergun affair he found it very hard to get employment as no one wanted to associate themselves to this incident . They never got the trucks back or the compensation they were awarded. Fair play to him turning his back on the uk after that.

scanspud:
They never got the trucks back or the compensation they were awarded.

dont surprise me bloody typical.

imight have the story kicking about some ware :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

dreva:
imight have the story kicking about some ware :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

forgot about you " billy boy " dreva.

That “pipe” or “supergun” is now on display at the Royal Armoury Museum at Fort Nelson near Portsmouth.

scanspud:
I used to go to school with him lost contact over the years last i heard was he gave up on the uk & now lives in spain.
His name is Paul Ashwell, Ben haulage was the name (his eldest son) it was run & owned by paul & his father in law.
After the supergun affair he found it very hard to get employment as no one wanted to associate themselves to this incident . They never got the trucks back or the compensation they were awarded. Fair play to him turning his back on the uk after that.

I think you are wrong, Truck magazine(it was an LDD) flew out with Mike Hall to collect the Truck(it had flat batteries or somat) and they ran it back empty as they couldnt find a reload for a Stepdeck Flat.(I have the magazine somewhere),

I seem to recall Paul Ashwell was working for Carr Bros in 1998/99, he had a Flat Top 144 460 Scania. I only know because he collected a trailer from our yard in Leighton Buzzard when i worked for Hill Hire.

BuzzardBoy:
I think you are wrong, Truck magazine(it was an LDD) flew out with Mike Hall to collect the Truck(it had flat batteries or somat) and they ran it back empty as they couldnt find a reload for a Stepdeck Flat.(I have the magazine somewhere)

I seem to recall Paul Ashwell was working for Carr Bros in 1998/99, he had a Flat Top 144 460 Scania. I only know because he collected a trailer from our yard in Leighton Buzzard when i worked for Hill Hire.

The last time i spoke to paul was about 6 months after it all happened so maybe my info is out of date now but at that time it was correct.

heres a link en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Babylon

i met Paul a few years after this happened and he was just on for an agency in milton keynes.
After talking to him about it, without question he was shafted, and at that point in time he still had not got his wagon back, dont know if he ever did or not.

■■■■ shame

absolutly spot on fella last time i see him we got bolloxed as we always did prob 99 or 2000 he was doing italy for mckella we cancelled a day an took advantage of the hospitallity at habay

I once sat on the same table as him on a Calais-Dover crossing, he still had the T-shirt on that the Daily Mirror had given him, he was taking full advantage of his 15mins of fame, no doubt about it he was ■■■■■■ over big time with the gun, but I got the distinct impression that he himself contributed a lot to him being locked up, now I know the bubbles are pretty funny about the law but on first impressions I thought he was a complete ■■■■■■■■■ we were only in the Drivers Resturaunt for 45mins & he told me that he had a business making sarnies for Marks & Expensive, he had bought out his Father in Law & had 20 motors running all over the place on Convoi Exceptionnel, blah blah blah…

He may be a nice bloke for all I know but I’m glad it was only a Calais-Dover & not a Brindisi-Patras :laughing:

He is now living in spain and his wife runs a bar. Can’t tell you exactly where but somewhere in the malaga area