What driving regs would you like?

We have EU and domestic regs but in the future it may come about that these get changed so what set of rules which cover everyone driving commercial LGVs on UK roads would you like to see - within reason :question:

Perhaps a max shift length
A minimum time off between shifts perhaps with differences if home or away
A minimum weekly rest - perhaps 36 hours
etc etc

14 hour day, 10 hour drive, 10 hour off every day. No reductions, no paybacks, no difference if you are home or away. Simple, straight forward for a change. Get rid of WTD and POA. Driving regs are sufficient.
Of course it will never happen 'cos if it is too simple DVSA won’t make any money.

Max shift time 12 hrs, Min 11 hrs off , no poa ,no split breaks .no wtd keep it simple .

Return to domestic regs with revised minimum daily rest provision of 12 hours.Either with use of same for international operations,or AETR.That’s assuming we ever leave the EU ( doubtful ).

As they are but add the old split rest rule of 4 hours off / 8 hour overnight rest as another option.

12 0n 12 Off…

No if’s no buts no coconuts.

At the very least it would save 12 pages of ‘that’s not right’, ‘you can’t do that’, ‘that rule only applies on Shrove Tuesdays’ on here every time an hours question is asked.

What tramper would want 12 hours off? Sat in an MSA or Truck Stop kicking your heels waiting for the clock to tick around. OK for shift drivers, no good to me. Not that there would be any distance jobs anyway.

Hang on its took me 20years to learn this lot and I’m still winging it a bit.

If you want to work less hours then work less hours.

Oh could scrap this 90 hour a fortnight thing it’s just silly.
Oh and scrap POA, well I already have tbf.

Also who would want to overnight doing a supermarket store delivery from bristol to cornwall. 12 hour max is no good.

What day man wants to do 15?

I don’t.

You’re never gonna please all of the people all of the time.

But, surely we can all agree that the present regs are a confusing and in many cases utterly pointless mess.

What about scrapping the “reduced daily rest” if you’ve had at least 11 hrs off following a day which has exceeded 13 hrs.

Kerragy:
What tramper would want 12 hours off? Sat in an MSA or Truck Stop kicking your heels waiting for the clock to tick around. OK for shift drivers, no good to me. Not that there would be any distance jobs anyway.

If trampers are saying that for them reduced daily rest is the norm and 11 hours is rarely used then that’s even more reason to force them to change their habits.If not what’s the big difference between 11 to 12. :unamused:

As for distance work the increased daily driving time flexibility would compensate for the extra daily rest.At least if trucks aren’t being used as unproductive mobile warehouse space.

yourhavingalarf:
But, surely we can all agree that the present regs are a confusing and in many cases utterly pointless mess.

^ This.

We had the reduced daily rest away from base only years ago … Should be
max 13 shift
Min 9 hrs off away from base , at base min 11
No WTD
MAX 5 one week 6 the next none of this messing to do 6s etc
Every thing is sun to sun weekly rest must fit into that band of hours ie
Sun to sun 168 hrs the weekly rest must be fully in that time scale

As we all joined this game well aware long hours for low pay was common and the joy of trucking up and down the highway was only matched by the hours we spend doing it then I can’t vote for any reduction in hours.

Call me Shirley but I can only vote for more flexibility, those who can survive and remain safe on the road on the current rest requirements should be allowed to do so, those who want less hours should look at their life choices as they have choose the wrong vocation or go to man camp and learn how to say no.

I want more hours not less, hate running out of 15s by Friday, although I do like a Sat run in.

More flexibility is the way forward.

Personally I think sticking roughly to the current EU rules wouldn’t be a bad move, I do believe that the penalties for minor breaches should be relaxed and relaxing the weekly rest rules to accommodate those who could do with a 6th day a little more often.

Let’s be honest if they change the rules completely, they’ll only end up more complicated and come with even bigger penalties.

As they are minus POA

If they made it max 12 hours they’d have to start paying better because its with being able to max hours currently how you can make a decent wage with many companies. Drop that to 12 hours a day then that would make a significant loss in overtime pay unless they sort out pay structures. And also like someone else said, I don’t particularly want to have to park in a truck stop that stinks of ■■■■ for 12 hours before I can move off!

Rowley010:
And also like someone else said, I don’t particularly want to have to park in a truck stop that stinks of ■■■■ for 12 hours before I can move off!

You do know it’s only reduced daily rest that drops it from the 11 hours already needed to be parked in a truck stop before you can move off.On that note the idea of 11 hours being seen as the exception not the rule is obviously part of the problem. :unamused:

I’m for GB Domestic regs but with an added weekly rest period as well. Sod this working over 60hrs a week.