What does the tacho record?

Over speed below 60?

Working time?

I heard mixed answers here, most say it doesn’t register overspeed as long as you are under 60.

Also heard that your tacho doesn’t actually record working time, but it works on a 6 hour period, as long as you get 30 minutes break it won’t register a thing. My theory is though if vosa pull you over and see that you started at 2am and it’s now 6pm they will slap you with a fine. Same if they saw those hours whilst looking back on your history and found the same thing.

Hinton:
Over speed below 60?

Working time?

I heard mixed answers here, most say it doesn’t register overspeed as long as you are under 60.

Also heard that your tacho doesn’t actually record working time, but it works on a 6 hour period, as long as you get 30 minutes break it won’t register a thing. My theory is though if vosa pull you over and see that you started at 2am and it’s now 6pm they will slap you with a fine. Same if they saw those hours whilst looking back on your history and found the same thing.

Working time = 15 mins for 6 hours

The tacho records - driving time and gives warnings for driving time breaks + other work time but does not give warnings for the 6 hour rule

DVSA - have sanctions for driving time break breaches but not for working time breaches

Companies often give internal infringements for WTD

DVSA not interested in overspeeds unless it seems as though the limiter has been messed with

Companies may have internal policies for overspeeds

Assuming Digital tachos only not the older paper discs.
The drivers card will record 28 days in nearly all cases before overwriting older data. Many drivers will still have data from months ago.
The mass memory in the vehicle unit will record what the vehicle does for about a year.
Overspeed will be registered for speeds over 90kph. Doesnt mean that you will fined or prosecuted. Some companies will have their own rules about speeds between 90 and 96kph. Overspeed events of more than 1minute are recorded on the tacho head. Detailed speed for the last 24 hours are also recorded. EDIT: Thats the last 24 hours of driving time. It doesn`t erase after a day!

6 hours recording only?! Where is that from?
Stop listening to people who know nowt, get enroled on a tacho course.You need to protect your license, and knowing about the regs will help you do so. Listening to well meaning people who know nowt is bad enough, but there are some seriously unscrupulous employers who will take advantage of any ignorance of the rules on your part. “Nah, mate, you`ll be alright. We all do that all the time, no worries.” Etc Etc.

Hinton:
Over speed below 60?

Working time?

If you worked from 2am to 6pm DVSA would kindly lend you a nice over size bike lock and a place to park for 11hours also you may have to go for tea and biscuits with the TC

A digi tacho records everything, from speed, how hard you brake, working time, driving time, how fast you accelerate, your rest, ANY movement.
A drivers card can keep a MINIMUM of 28 days of data, but many can show date from 8-10 month back.
It all depends on how many time you change mode, driving from A-B is only one thing, putting it on other work is the next one.
The drivers card doesn’t record speed, only driving, work, rest and manual entries, driving without card and other errors, if not reset before you enter your card in the tacho head.

The tacho head holds at least 3 month of data, but if you download you realise it shows from up more than a year ago.
Long distance trucks have mostimes 2-3 years date on them as they relative little else as driving.

The tacho records in 1hz (stoneridge) or 2hz (VDO, Kienzle) so it measures everything in 1 second (stoneridge) or half a second (others)
That’s why every movement is visible, even just a touch forward.

Regarding overspeeding, this can be a customer setting, some customers want is set on 80, 85 etc. Standard is 90km/h.
From experience the Germans will fine you if you have a substantial overrun of the speed, letting it fall down the mountains is not advisable.
The British police / Vosa seems to have a more relaxed vision on this.
However as with everything, if you get a major accident, this could work very much against you, if your downloads shows regular overspeeds.

Another thing what goes a lot wrong with digi tacho is rest.
Drivers who work at the stopwatch to take exactly 45 mins, you could stop 13:15 hrs and 59 seconds, you pull away at 14:00hrs and 2 seconds, and you will find out that you haven’t taken a complete rest, and have to take another half hour to reset the tacho.

A digital tachograph records all your activities, driving, working time, breaks/rest and POA, anyone who tells you different is proving that you should not ask them anything else in the future :unamused:

As well as the above a digital tachograph will also record a number of other things such as over-speed warning if they last more than a minute, the card being inserted/ejected, power being cut from the tachograph and much more.

As far as everyday activity is concerned everything is recorded as long as you use the mode switch correctly.

Hinton:
Over speed below 60?

Working time?

it doesn’t recored overspeed if you press OK when it starts flashing

villa:

Hinton:
Over speed below 60?

Working time?

Yes it does…As thats when its been registered .You just press ok to aknowledge you’ve been a naughty boy…And to clear it from the display…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

daftvader:

villa:

Yes it does…As thats when its been registered .You just press ok to aknowledge you’ve been a naughty boy…And to clear it from the display…

An over-speed is recorded, but if it’s cleared within a minute it’s recorded with a time duration of 00:00 which is basically a none event.

Hinton:
I heard mixed answers here, most say it doesn’t register overspeed as long as you are under 60

Tachos are required by law to be set no higher than 91kp/h for overspeeds. In the UK the speed limit is 96kp/h on motorways and duals so anything between 91 and 96 is technically ok but will still throw an overspeed up. You can blame the EU for this. Up to your boss as to whether they take any action but I can’t see and have never heard of anyone losing their job for doing between 91 and 96/kph.

Right I probably worded this question wrong

How much of the above mentioned data is logged onto my card. Not the tacho unit.

If you do a print out, it’ll show what’s recorded on the card and what’s recorded on the vehicle head unit. If I recall, I’ve seen an overspeed of 00 under my card info on my printout.

Hinton:
Right I probably worded this question wrong

How much of the above mentioned data is logged onto my card. Not the tacho unit.

When the driver card is inserted and ejected, driving time, working time, breaks and rest periods, POA, , and the last 5 driver events such as over-speeds ec’t are all recorded on the driver card.

Everything that’s recorded on the driver card is also recorded on the VU, plus a few other things.

daftvader:

villa:

Hinton:
Over speed below 60?

Working time?

Why would you worry about ‘overspeeds’ if the UK road speed limit is 96kph or 60mph…

AndrewG:

daftvader:

villa:

Hinton:
Over speed below 60?

Working time?

Why would you worry about ‘overspeeds’ if the UK road speed limit is 96kph or 60mph…

Because alot of firms now use telematics in the trucks…And pay out a fuel bonus…We use the microlise system…And overspeeds are part of the scores based system…So you have to do your best to not record any…

daftvader:
Because alot of firms now use telematics in the trucks…And pay out a fuel bonus…We use the microlise system…And overspeeds are part of the scores based system…So you have to do your best to not record any…

Overspeeds downhill though will actually save fuel, ie use less climbing the next gradient.
Im not disputing what your firm wants from you though, if they penalise you somehow on a points system theres little you can do about it…

Simple if it’s bonus related then don’t overspeed. We are being monitored for the first time in 3.5 years for overspeeds and given infringements for them by our company. On the Volvo FH whilst on cruise control and with exhaust brake set to position 1 auto by clicking the button on the stalk for the exhaust brake you can set the auto overspeed to a minimum setting of +3km an hour or higher if you wish. Using the buttons you can change the setting to one you desire. I set mine at +5 as out trucks only do 85kmh so it will very rarely go over 90kmh unless your very heavy and on a big downhill. As long as ours don’t go over 90kmh I don’t get any overspeeds and even with he two trucks that do 90kmh set at +3 and keeping an eye on it and using the exhaust brake on a higher setting to slow it back down if it starts to run away or using the footbrake if required solves the issue. Anything above a certain speed for 1 minute and you get an overspeed warning. Since I have kept it down I haven’t had one.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Monitored for overspeeds just adds even more grief thrown in for good measure and just dumbs the job down into the getting silly dept…so very glad i dont work in the UK anymore… :sunglasses:

AndrewG:
Monitored for overspeeds just adds even more grief thrown in for good measure and just dumbs the job down into the getting silly dept…so very glad i dont work in the UK anymore… :sunglasses:

Would it even matter for an OD?

And you’re right, if they are worried about fuel scores, an overspeed in some circumstances would actually save fuel.
But good luck trying to explain that to management! :laughing: