What do you want from a Service Station

Hi, I have just taken over the management of a Motorway services station, I want to stock a range of products that Truckers want to see whilst on the road, Could you please post your suggestions what are the must haves? what do you find hard to buy? what would you like to see?. Could you include your top 10 Food items as well as the essentials for your Truck. Thank You in advance

Free cash point for start

Decent food at a sensible price

Safe parking at a sensible price

Decent showers

as above + reasonably priced toiletries.

Not having to lose half a break walking to the services and back (cherwell valley)

Toilets near the lorry park some In the summer are disgusting.

Cctv that works for a change.

Security guards

Driver gloves

Baby wipes decent ones though a driver must ( takes 5th wheel grease off anything :blush: )

Daytrunker:
Not having to lose half a break walking to the services and back (cherwell valley)

And Annandale water. I seriously considered phoning a taxi once to take me from the lorry park to the main building

Good question, let’s hope we get some good answers.
For me;-
Bigger pump numbers so you can see them from the till. Leave my glasses on the dash and then I struggle.
Decent hot air blowers to dry hands (and warm them up when on the bike).
Easy access to and from the till, not having to battle past shed loads of stuff.
Quick service to take my money. :frowning:
Plenty of free parking.
Spare bulbs and consumables.
And lastly, but most important, a big smile, clear speech and politeness.
Thanks
Paul

Daytrunker:

Security guards

Drivers would still ■■■■ up the wheel onto the tarmac and take a dump under the trailer even if there was a brand new sparkling clean toilet 10ft away from them. :unamused:

animal:
Free cash point for start

Decent food at a sensible price

Safe parking at a sensible price

Decent showers

+1
Clean toilets too:grin:

In an ideal world, I’d like to see the return of a dedicated “transport cafe” area for lorry drivers, with decent, wholesome,affordable food and hot drinks, and free of screaming kids and old biddies who take ages to order and pay, but I appreciate that this might be outside your remit. A drivers-only seating area might not be, though, and you could perhaps consider it.

I would like to see basic things like a pint of milk sold at somewhere nearer Tesco prices than Harrods; the same thing applies to stuff like Mars bars and other common snacks. The old canard that motorway stuff is more expensive because they’re open 24/7 no longer fools anybody.

Given that MSA’s have consistently ripped lorry drivers off for years, my guess is that most of us travel well enough equipped to avoid having to buy anything at all especially if we’ve got sleeper cabs. Outside of the actual stock items, I’d suggest that the way to win approval from the likes of us is to keep your toilets and showers in good working order and regularly cleaned, rubbish bins emptied regularly and a security patrol at night which does more than note the numbers of drivers who haven’t paid.

English speaking staff.
Not having to pay £20+ pounds just to park for the night.
A quiet, separate area for drivers to eat/sit down with a reasonably priced coffee. £4 is NOT reasonable for a coffee.
Decent, fresh food. Not sausages that have practically carbonised under the hot lamps…

and why do you need a Costa van outside, a full size costa inside, a smaller costa opposite the full size costa, and a little mobile costa vending spot, all in one services :open_mouth: ? Just in case the queue at the costa vending machine in WH smith is too long :unamused: :unamused:

A night patrol man that has a big nasty dog, to deter diesel fairies and Edward scissor hands and his chums, who enjoy making peep holes in the side of the curtains on trailers or cut them open to pilfer the load while the driver is asleep.
International foods such as Thai, Indian , Mexican or Italian.
No charges to fill a Thermos with hot water.
Buy one coffee or a tea with a meal and have a bottomless offer,free drinks, it can be a filter coffee.
Electric power points in the truck parking to power up all the cab stuff, the same as a caravan camp site.
Friendly staff.
Maybe rent out cars or bicycles to drivers that have a 24 or 45 hour weekly rest.
A fully equiped gym with free weights and cardio vascular equipment to prevent us having a mycardial infarction at the wheel.
Free access to a computer,like in a library.
Urinals or a portaloo in the truck parking.
Rest area reserved for drivers only with large leather sofas and a few large tv screens to a avoid an argument on what channel to watch.
PJM truckstop at Coventry airport has a drivers lounge with leather sofas.

NO GINSTERS CRAP!!!

Sidevalve:
In an ideal world, I’d like to see the return of a dedicated “transport cafe” area for lorry drivers, with decent, wholesome,affordable food and hot drinks, and free of screaming kids and old biddies who take ages to order and pay, but I appreciate that this might be outside your remit. A drivers-only seating area might not be, though, and you could perhaps consider it.

I would like to see basic things like a pint of milk sold at somewhere nearer Tesco prices than Harrods; the same thing applies to stuff like Mars bars and other common snacks. The old canard that motorway stuff is more expensive because they’re open 24/7 no longer fools anybody.

Given that MSA’s have consistently ripped lorry drivers off for years, my guess is that most of us travel well enough equipped to avoid having to buy anything at all especially if we’ve got sleeper cabs. Outside of the actual stock items, I’d suggest that the way to win approval from the likes of us is to keep your toilets and showers in good working order and regularly cleaned, rubbish bins emptied regularly and a security patrol at night which does more than note the numbers of drivers who haven’t paid.[ :imp: /quote]
… +1. Look what happened to The Pops when MOTO took it over. Waiting behind coach loads by the dozen at the counter!!! GRRRR… :imp: :imp: :imp:

If you are going to have a shop chain in the shop like Marks n Sparks make sure you have more than one member of staff on at peak times lol :laughing: :laughing:

Hmmm, opening post from a new manager at a service area.

He cares not about what would make you use the place to enjoy your experience and enhance your free time. Things like ease of access, safe parking, good clean facilities, nourishing hot meals, value for money or being treated as a professional.

What can I put on my shelves that you ‘need’ to buy!

As a manager he will have little say over the things that will promote good truck stop facilities.

I wish him well but not holding my breath for a beacon of light in raising standards for the professional commercial user.

H.

Honked:
Hmmm, opening post from a new manager at a service area.

He cares not about what would make you use the place to enjoy your experience and enhance your free time. Things like ease of access, safe parking, good clean facilities, nourishing hot meals, value for money or being treated as a professional.

What can I put on my shelves that you ‘need’ to buy!

As a manager he will have little say over the things that will promote good truck stop facilities.

I wish him well but not holding my breath for a beacon of light in raising standards for the professional commercial user.

H.

I understand but give the guy a break, at least it seems like he’s trying and has good intentions.
Managers can and do put forward ideas to their area managers etc at the very least to justify their own position.

Good clean wash facilities would be top for me along with safe parking. With regards to shop items, microwave meals, and good served hot food at decent prices. I’m not asking for it to be free but like others have said, not silly over the top prices, after all you do want people to come back so give them a reason.
Toiletries etc would need to be sold. Maybe (depending on the space you have) an area that sells, socks t-shirts towels etc would be good as well.
A loyalty card would be a good idea giving money off items as well (yes it know not everyone would be able to come back regularly but there would be people who do).
An area for drivers to eat as others have said would be nice and a TV on the wall would be a nice touch.

Daytrunker:

Security guards

For the second of those, you’d need truck drivers who didn’t pee on the ground in the truck park.

poor guy only asked for items to sell and top 10 food items :open_mouth:

European style set price menu for drivers,starter such as a fresh salad or soup, mains and a pudding.
Washing machines and dryers like they have at Cobham Msa.
Games room, dart board ,snooker or pool table.
Bar with real ales produced in the local area.
Digital tacho download computer for those who are away from base for a long time.
Long fuel pipe hoses at the fuel station.
Loyalty card, buy ten meals, get one free.
Mobile battery charger for flat batteries.
A long shot, but worth a try, a bakery on site that makes their own bread or pies.