What Do You make of This

So you have ran out of time and you carnt move.

Im a night man so i have no “night out gear” but no fuss i ring to ask them to sort parking,i now start my 9 off…2Hour in i had someone come for the trailer.I wasnt instructed to drop trailer not that i could due to the parking area being rammed!

Now as i left my card in…and put on rest i refuse to pull my card out and swap units to take my rest. As i already started it!!

I am then told F.T.A have said its ok!! At this point i told the driver who came for trailer, its not your fault they put you on the spot like this but if you dont mind ive had a ■■■■ night/ day and i am going to reset my 9.

This is a big firm…And stand by drivers keeping legal…When it suits thou.

Clearly they should have told you to drop the trailer if they had intended for another driver to collect it during your rest period. To not do so and then send someone to wake you up is poor planning and communication.

If you had stopped driving because you had run out driving time, but didn’t yet need to start your daily rest then you could move the unit if it wasn’t after the time you had to start your rest by. But you would then have to start your daily rest after that movement.

If you stopped because you needed to start your nine hours daily rest (ie worked 15 hours) then you wouldn’t be able legally do any work until your daily rest was complete. You can’t “restart” your rest at that point as it wouldn’t be complete with 24 hours of starting.

In the latter situation your should tell the company you aren’t moving the truck.

I am a night man, and always have some gear “just in case”.

If you are on rest, then nothing moves. Full stop.
I think the only person who could ask you to move would be police, they would need to sign a printout etc.
If the company didn’t tell you to drop the trailer before you finished then it is not your problem. Whatever, legally you don’t move…

Why didn’t u pull the card and insert the drivers who was picking up the unit to insert there’s?
Just an idea
Would also be proof that u didn’t pull your card to work off the card.
I’ve had to move a few times during the night not due to work but I pull my card at nights.

Themoocher:
Why didn’t u pull the card and insert the drivers who was picking up the unit to insert there’s?
Just an idea

+1 hardly rocket science

Themoocher:
Just an idea
Would also be proof that u didn’t pull your card to work off the card.
I’ve had to move a few times during the night not due to work but I pull my card at nights.

Because that’s still classed as work, also it’s proving an interrupted rest period which is illegal.

mazzer:

Themoocher:
Just an idea

+1 hardly rocket science

My working time was up at 1530. I stopped and was parked dead on 4hr 30 min drive due to a que to get in to toddington.
I put on break at 1418.Add 47 min break would leave me with 35 min to get to daventry in a 50mph truck wont happen.
The other driver turned up at 430.By me taking mine out of the head symbols work by law and also that would have been a hour over my time.

I dont fuss about night out i just get on with it.

I was told never to drop a trailer until the person collecting it was there. Otherwise the insurance company would say it had been left unattended and would not pay out if it was nicked! If we run out of time then that’s it. Everything stops, if the load is late then tough.The driver would know they are going to run out of time and give the planners warning thereby allowing time for someone to be ready to collect the load. Simple !

I wouldn’t move 2hrs into a rest period. ■■■■ that. I’d know 100% they couldn’t discipline you for it either.

Suppose there are two types of drivers ones like above who’d get out of bed eject the card. Generally you could shove a broom up their arse and tell them to sweep the yard and they’d do that aswell while they waited for the other driver to unhook.

And then the second type of drivers who have a bit of self respect and don’t like getting the pish took out them and tell them to ■■■■ off. He’s also the same driver that would refuse to go and it interrupt a driver on daily rest with his curtains closed.

It’s not about being awkward or being militant it’s about right and wrong. And what happened to the op is wrong.

But “it’s ok by the FTA” is a new one on me. Need to remember that, the FTA isn’t a government body, they are a trade association. They are a bunch of useless knobends that only have compaines best interest at heart and don’t give a hee haw about drivers.

merc0447:
I wouldn’t move 2hrs into a rest period. [zb] that. I’d know 100% they couldn’t discipline you for it either.

Suppose there are two types of drivers ones like above who’d get out of bed eject the card. Generally you could shove a broom up their arse and tell them to sweep the yard and they’d do that aswell while they waited for the other driver to unhook.

And then the second type of drivers who have a bit of self respect and don’t like getting the pish took out them and tell them to [zb] off. He’s also the same driver that would refuse to go and it interrupt a driver on daily rest with his curtains closed.

It’s not about being awkward or being militant it’s about right and wrong. And what happened to the op is wrong.

But “it’s ok by the FTA” is a new one on me. Need to remember that, the FTA isn’t a government body, they are a trade association. They are a bunch of useless knobends that only have compaines best interest at heart and don’t give a hee haw about drivers.

I don’t Bend over.
I really don’t see what problem is parking up uncoupling a trailer ejecting your card and getting a driver to move it 50 yards across a yard when he rocks up.
It would take all of a couple of minutes.

Themoocher:

merc0447:
I wouldn’t move 2hrs into a rest period. [zb] that. I’d know 100% they couldn’t discipline you for it either.

And then the second type of drivers who have a bit of self respect and don’t like getting the pish took out them and tell them to [zb] off. He’s also the same driver that would refuse to go and it interrupt a driver on daily rest with his curtains closed.

I don’t Bend over.
I really don’t see what problem is parking up uncoupling a trailer ejecting your card and getting a driver to move it 50 yards across a yard when he rocks up.
It would take all of a couple of minutes.

You have missed the point!
I wasnt told to drop the trailer.I kept them updated withe issues i was having.
I just parked up rang in and left the parking with them.

When i restarted after 9 off ,i got back and was expected to start my shift ie new run,i went home !!i suppose above will say i should have done the job…but they dont come work in dirty clothes and without a wash so why should i.

jesus…no wonder the countrys finished and down the pan with work attitudes like british layland in the 1970s… well seen your working for major company,any normal employer would have you booted out the door asap. :unamused:

Refusing to drop trailer after working time expired is fine and I would do the same especially as youve kept them informed etc.

Not really on to go home once you got back to the yard though as you could have a wash at the services, sure you could cope an extra day in your clobber.

Emergency sleeping kit and a change of undercrackers are basic kit, understandable not to have them though if this is a very rare event.

dieseldog999:
jesus…no wonder the countrys finished and down the pan with work attitudes like british layland in the 1970s… well seen your working for major company,any normal employer would have you booted out the door asap. :unamused:

My attitude is good.I go to work to give my all.Im paid to do a job and i do it.
Im no hero and dont intend to be.
I have put ideas across to office staff in the past and ive been told to worry about driving not how the job is planned so i do just that

I assume you dont do nights out…hence no night gear…if it was me, i would have made my way back to the depot before my time ran out, or refused the job in the first place as not enough time to get home, or told the firm i needed to get into town to buy some night out gear…that includes bedding, wash gear, towel, shaving stuff etc, maybe a change of clothing, and a taxi to take you there and back…about £100 would suffice…plus your night out money, or maybe hotel money…

truckyboy:
I assume you dont do nights out…hence no night gear…if it was me, i would have made my way back to the depot before my time ran out, or refused the job in the first place as not enough time to get home, or told the firm i needed to get into town to buy some night out gear…that includes bedding, wash gear, towel, shaving stuff etc, maybe a change of clothing, and a taxi to take you there and back…about £100 would suffice…plus your night out money, or maybe hotel money…

Fair point.

I do this run often. 0100 start and always done before 11 midday it was just the freak weather that obviously caused issues.
I like nights out and have all my gear but i am lucky to get 10hr at this firm.

End of shift I always put the card. You could have dropped pulled forward a touch just clear so that when 2nd driver arrives you just need to pull that extra few feet.

dieseldog999:

And yet on another thread you’re whinging and moaning about having to take a few pallets off with and electric truck. So having the company illegally force you to interrupt your rest is OK but show you a pallet truck and its NO NO NO!

merc0447:

I do agree with all of that mate, well said.

Generally speaking in the context of the argument, the powers that set these rules do not state any leeway.
Basically as we all know we are now timed to the last possible minute, with ridiculous fines, ott penalties and all the rest of this pedantic b.s.
Nowhere does it say (broadly speaking) after any rule…‘‘except if’’
So that suggests on the face of it they want things done zero tolerance…their way or the highway etc etc.

(Ok, on the other hand in many cases, it is down to discretion so not all bad, just mostly.)

Bearing this in mind the o/p is 100% in the right and nobody can knock him for carrying out the rules stringently in the spirit in which they were made, and certainly I won’t,…that is what ‘‘they’’ want so that is what ‘‘they’’ got. :bulb:

On the other hand ■■■■ happens in transport so sometimes common sense has to kick in.
It may have been a perishable load, a contract dependant load, or an important load that a factory was waiting for and costing them millions in lost production.(chances are it was bog rolls but bear with me :smiley: )
So the onus lies with the company and the planner (the driver has done his bit, completed his part legally and come to a stop)

So…Question is, have they planned things to the last second to get the last drop of blood out of the driver, and it has gone ■■■■ up, so the routine ■■■■ poor planning has backfired on the useless ■■■■ s.
Or is it just down to traffic and unseens not predictable…rta.s snow etc., and forgetting to tell him to drop and park into the bargain.

So this is what I would do in same circumstances different scenarios.

If this sort of ■■■■ poor planning is a regular occurrence and if the firm are a bunch of arse wipes who treat their drivers like crap, and speak to them like schoolboys I would have done the same as o/p went back to bed, re.set my rest and said ■■■■ em see you tomorrow, (and next tuesday :smiley: )
If however they were a co. who treated me like a pro driver and grown up, who had made a accidental ■■■■ up, I would have played ball, prevailed with common sense, and helped them out …as I have done many times in the past.

(as well as also being an arse with ■■■■ firms)

I would also have explained to the firm what I was doing, get re.assurance they would back me up in any way to minimise MY arse being brutalised …and everybody’s happy.

Give and take when appropriate, and react to whatever treatment you get in different ways.
It has always worked for me from day1.

Blimey Robroy, has Carryfast hacked your account? :wink: