What do you do for overnight safety?

Hi guys n gals.

I was thinking that with the amount of people on here who do nights out there must be a variety of different ways people secure their cab and load for the night, perhaps some people could learn from the more seasoned and more imaginative drivers, and help keep others safe.

Additional cab/locker/door alarms? ratchet the door handles together?

Be interested to hear what everyone does to keep secure.

Alex

Doesn’t matter what safety devises you have on your vehicle if they want it they will get it :imp: . I personally park on an industrial est or on a dealer forcourt and have never had any trouble what so ever, and i never lock my diesel tanks.

Same here Steve. Lock it and they will bust a hole in it and let the fuel they can’t run down the drains. I don’t like the idea of opening rear doors since it gave some scum the idea of lighting a fire in the back of a mates trailer. If I’m somewhere dodgy, I may tie the doors, but that’s about it. A normal load, they could have but I would put a bit of a fight up for the race bikes.

No point putting the locks on the fuel tank caps. The ■■■■■ will just break the locks and take the diesel. Might aswell let them have the diesel and save the money on the lock.

Or don’t do nights out like me.

I don’t like the idea of being an unpaid security guard. :angry:

Ken.

Other than choosing the parking place with a little thought, nothing. If crap is gonna happen it’s gonna happen regardless of locks and stuff.

I do as the company requests and supplies. NOTHING MORE!!!

I park in a truckstop or MSA and thats that!

You open the back doors and they ■■■■■ the curtains anyway, lock the doors, they smash the window.

They want it they can have it, as long as they leave me alone.

If im where im supposed to be, then the company is covered and im not in trouble. Why worry about something that doesnt even belong to you. Thats the companies problem!!! Thats why they have insurance!!!

All i do is park at MSA’s lock the doors and close my curtain’s,Oh and i carry a baseball bat just in case.
Breedy.

Would you use it breedy if you had 3 or 4 blokes pinching your diesel at 2 in the morning?

As neil said. Use a bit of common sense choosing a ■■■■■■■■■■■■ and dont advertise that you have half of dixons gadget shelf in there.
I`ve never fancied strapping the doors together. If its that bad its time to pack it in!

No not the diesel because that doesn’t matter but if they tryed to get in the cab i’d use it.
Breedy.

When i did nights away all the time I just locked the doors and turned on the heater and went asleep with the radio on never worried about it…only nights away now are at steam rallys where security is pretty good.or the odd night away if collecting something nice for myself and then i park up whereever i can that look secure.

Main reason and time I tie the doors is because it is usually a pretty high value load that is painted up to inform anybody who is interested or a flash motor-home abroad. Either way, they know you will have some money on you and they target you for gassing, credit cards and passport. Happened to a few but we now try to run in convoy as much as possible.

i park somewhere sensible and would never ever consider strapping the doors how do you get out if you need to in a hurry

Stay at home, but even that can be scary if the wife’s in the wrong frame of mind. :laughing:

Quinny:
Or don’t do nights out like me.

I don’t like the idea of being an unpaid security guard. :angry:

Ken.

agreed
the financal rewards of regular nights out vs being at home don`t interest me, however much, or little it is. But thats another debate

Have things really got so much worse in the 5 years since I retired?
Personal security was something that never occurred to me in all my 40 odd years on the road. I avoided MSAs like the plague except in the early days and always chose lonely spots if a proper resto wasn’t available and was often to be found on the top of some desolate moor.
I remember thinking how over cautious a French driver was who asked if I would reverse up to him, doors to doors, at the big Arcotel north of Marseille. I did do, but mainly to humour him.
As far as load security precautions are concerned, in the 60s when I was running whisky roped and sheeted from Glasgow one of us would watch the trucks while the others snatched a little sleep at the company’s office. The kids used to creep round the blind side and slit the sheet for a bottle or 2. :open_mouth:
At Liverpool docks once, another driver lost a couple of Raleigh bikes to ‘joyriders’ (tyreless for export) after he refused their offer of half a crown to ‘watch the motor mister’. :laughing:
And in the 80s one of my drivers felt someone moving about in the trailer during the night, stayed put and phoned the law on his cabphone who arrived in time to nick a couple of lads running off with rolls of fabric.
And finally some ‘clandestines’ nicked my padlock on the beach at Calais but didn’t climb aboard when they realised that an empty trailer wasn’t going to Blighty. :laughing:

Spardo:
Have things really got so much worse in the 5 years since I retired?
Personal security was something that never occurred to me in all my 40 odd years on the road. I avoided MSAs like the plague except in the early days and always chose lonely spots if a proper resto wasn’t available and was often to be found on the top of some desolate moor.
I remember thinking how over cautious a French driver was who asked if I would reverse up to him, doors to doors, at the big Arcotel north of Marseille. I did do, but mainly to humour him.
As far as load security precautions are concerned, in the 60s when I was running whisky roped and sheeted from Glasgow one of us would watch the trucks while the others snatched a little sleep at the company’s office. The kids used to creep round the blind side and slit the sheet for a bottle or 2. :open_mouth:
At Liverpool docks once, another driver lost a couple of Raleigh bikes to ‘joyriders’ (tyreless for export) after he refused their offer of half a crown to ‘watch the motor mister’. :laughing:
And in the 80s one of my drivers felt someone moving about in the trailer during the night, stayed put and phoned the law on his cabphone who arrived in time to nick a couple of lads running off with rolls of fabric.
And finally some ‘clandestines’ nicked my padlock on the beach at Calais but didn’t climb aboard when they realised that an empty trailer wasn’t going to Blighty. :laughing:

It’s all scare-mongering. If you use your common sense you won’t have any problems. It’s a well known fact that if you park in a layby on the A14 or A45 then you’re gonna wake up and find your load and your diesel gone so you don’t park there. If you park off the beaten track and find a quiet little industrial estate or spot somewhere then you won’t have any problems.

I’ve carried quite a bit of high value stuff about on tramping work and have only been done over once and that was on the Whitwood industrial estate just a bit further down from the truck stop when I’d been promised overnight parking on site at ISA and when I got there I was turned away and was out of hours. :angry:

dont have much to say on overnight safety but stevie…where did you get that avatar from : :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

Just typed in free avatars in google looked through hundreds of them, seen that nice pair of busters and said yes thems for me, charversdad :smiley: