What a Great Pull by DVSA.....P.S. I'm Not a Fan of Them

Taken from their twitter feed

Gotta say the penalties do not fit the crime, if it was in Europe we would be hammered with a massive fine (although fine here is not stated)
Last link is a video of the steering linkage

Cold Friday Morning at Dover Eastern Docks
Our Vehicle Examiner spots this dangerous HGV
Drive axle wheel about to detach
Hub damaged, all wheel nuts and studs loose,2 brakes not working, trailer park brake not working, 4 illegal tyres & a broken steering joint.
Our Traffic Examiner discovered the driver not to be using a Tachograph driver card, No Driver CPC qualification & Tachograph not properly fitted
Driver & vehicle prohibited from continuing their journey
FPNs issued & vehicle immobilised

I think on the spot fines have now been increased to a maximum of ÂŁ1500 but as you say peanuts compared to Europe in France anything wrong with the tacho head starts at around 2500 euro plus they will take you to the nearest dealer to get it sorted raising another bill in the region 2000 euros

Can i have a pint of what tweeter ‘‘Micky’’ is on please barman.

Micky wonders how you can check that, presumably he means the steering joint (though the play that alone must have created in the steering ought to have told him something) which was about to snap off and only the good Lord knows which poor sods would die horribly in the aftermath, meanwhile conveniently ignoring the slick tyres and wheel studs about to wear through the wheels
and we won’t mention the tacho offences which couldn’t be assessed because he wasn’t using it :unamused:

I am a fan of the DVSA by the way, doing a grand job of finding these ■■■■ takers with limited resources, i only wish they had the ability to fine them serious amounts of money, many times the current levels, enough to bankrupt these cowboys once and for all.

That ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ truck must have been like a DVSA training model to them. Unbelievable how the ‘driver’ thinks he can get away with it in this day and age.

Those wheel

Studs have to be the worst I’ve ever seen. Ok, vehicle checks are the last thing the driver does I can see that but didn’t matey boy hear them rattling/clanging?

:open_mouth:

nomiS36:
That piece of [zb] truck must have been like a DVSA training model to them. Unbelievable how the ‘driver’ thinks he can get away with it in this day and age.

Now if the truth be known anyone who is up in the years would have been driving worse in the day and not a second thought for what you go on about now
Nobody gave a thought to bystanders then so why now

Should have towed it to nearest yard an crushed it, simple as that.

Sadly that’d cause frictions politically so my bet is it’ll be back out plying it’s trade on UK roads very soon, probably sporting another plate too.

As has been said, pull that on their turf an you’d get dry shafted, well in that case it should be as good for the goose then.

Yet again it’s just another fine example of why we need Mr Bridger more than ever.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Benjie83:
Should have towed it to nearest yard an crushed it, simple as that.

Sadly that’d cause frictions politically so my bet is it’ll be back out plying it’s trade on UK roads very soon, probably sporting another plate too.

As has been said, pull that on their turf an you’d get dry shafted, well in that case it should be as good for the goose then.

Yet again it’s just another fine example of why we need Mr Bridger more than ever.

Top of it’s range in its day

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Driver: “But apart from that, everything else is fine?”

if a lorry is impounded like that does it have to be towed to a repair place specified by the dvla etc or can the owner take it to where ever they like.

cooper1203:
if a lorry is impounded like that does it have to be towed to a repair place specified by the dvla etc or can the owner take it to where ever they like.

It depends on what is wrong and what can be done about it. For example I was called out in 2003 (just looked up the £500 invoice) to a Horsebox (1513 Cargo) with oil soaked brake linings which had been stopped at Leatherhead. Vosa as it then was were firm but very helpful. I was not allowed to repair inside their site but allowed to work in the layby outside. They did check to see what means I had of working safely ie chassis stands.The scanty inforamtion given over the phone meant that I had picked up brake shoes which were too narrow, but still fitted. The PG9 was varied to 4 day’s delay because it was getting late and although the readings were low there was now a noticeable improvement in effort from all wheels and three locks meant it passed . They also trusted my assurance that the vehicle was returning to base where it would be relined with the correct shoes. It poured with rain the whole time.(aaah diddums)

The foreigner stopped in the picture may well have to be low loadered away for repair since with a potential steering failure and loose rear wheels it can’t be front or rear lifted. The DVSA won’t specify who repairs the vehicle only that it must be safe to travel. Whatever happens will be expensive.

cav551:

cooper1203:

It depends on what is wrong and what can be done about it. For example I was called out in 2003 (just looked up the £500 invoice) to a Horsebox (1513 Cargo) with oil soaked brake linings which had been stopped at Leatherhead. Vosa as it then was were firm but very helpful. I was not allowed to repair inside their site but allowed to work in the layby outside. They did check to see what means I had of working safely ie chassis stands.The scanty inforamtion given over the phone meant that I had picked up brake shoes which were too narrow, but still fitted. The PG9 was varied to 4 day’s delay because it was getting late and although the readings were low there was now a noticeable improvement in effort from all wheels and three locks meant it passed . They also trusted my assurance that the vehicle was returning to base where it would be relined with the correct shoes. It poured with rain the whole time.(aaah diddums)

The foreigner stopped in the picture may well have to be low loadered away for repair since with a potential steering failure and loose rear wheels it can’t be front or rear lifted. The DVSA won’t specify who repairs the vehicle only that it must be safe to travel. Whatever happens will be expensive.

Old IVECO unit? Repairs very possibly costing more than the value of the unit.

Would DVSA allow a different unit to take trailer and deliver load? I guess so?
If its a traction only job....Whats the odds the driver will just try to walk away? Paper chase to find registered owner in a foreign country etc, awkward but possible, and needs doing to deter others.

Bigtruck3:

nomiS36:
That piece of [zb] truck must have been like a DVSA training model to them. Unbelievable how the ‘driver’ thinks he can get away with it in this day and age.

Now if the truth be known anyone who is up in the years would have been driving worse in the day and not a second thought for what you go on about now

We care now or should, because as you get older you’re supposed to get wiser.

even by my hooligan standards,then the wheel and tyre are a fair cop .

i would imagine the story will be to say its traction only,get another taliban to lift the trailer,and bogdan,then double man back to the land of cabbage and chips and ignore any letters with the queens head on it.
scrap the unit to pay for the fine which by the time they all get a charge from it will mean itl cost more then its worth.

Bigtruck3:

nomiS36:

I’m ‘up in the years’

There is NO way I’d ever have driven anything in that state EVER.

Just trying to make money for the DVSA Christmas party. Just a load of trivial stuff. Give the driver a break. Motorists are just easy targets. We should have no police or DVSA what a waste of space they are dealing with this, they should be out catching burglars instead.

Always good to see that type of blatant and presumably habitual ■■■■ taker taken off the road. :sunglasses:

At least this time they’ve managed to catch a real bonafide offender amongst all the trivial money making stuff they always prioritise on
(sure I might have said this before btw
 :laughing:)

robroy:
Always good to see that type of blatant and presumably habitual ■■■■ taker taken off the road. :sunglasses:

At least this time they’ve managed to catch a real bonafide offender amongst all the trivial money making stuff they always prioritise on
(sure I might have said this before btw
 :laughing:)

Agree with you Rob
hence the title of the post :smiley:

On a serious note how will they go forward from that? That’s going to cost a lot to put all that right and I’m guessing if the boss is allowing it to run like that then he’s short of cash in the company. If the driver is working for someone and it’s not his own truck that I’d be leaving it there and back home.

Rowley010:
On a serious note how will they go forward from that? That’s going to cost a lot to put all that right and I’m guessing if the boss is allowing it to run like that then he’s short of cash in the company. If the driver is working for someone and it’s not his own truck that I’d be leaving it there and back home.

Surly any reasonable person would of refused to take it out the yard