Well, my wish came true faster than i thought!

stevieboy50:
leave it in on bed and then you cant move unless you start your daily rest again, its all there for vosa to see and you wont be liable for any movement while your parked, drivers who take out their card are willing to break the law as and when it suits.

Why would you think that :confused: :confused: :confused:

There’s no regulation to say the card has to stay in, I’ve always taken mine out simply because I think it’s easier and I like to keep the card in my wallet when it’s not in the tachograph.

To suggest that people who take the card out are willing to break the law whenever it suits them is completely without foundation.

Anyway if you just put the tachograph on rest without ending the shift properly you your self are breaking the law.

It really doesn’t matter whether you take the card out or leave it in, it’s a matter of personal preference :wink:

stevieboy50:

Bungle666:
And im on my first night out tonight!

a couple of questions…

1. anyone know of a decent truck park with nice showers in or around bristol??

2. do you leave your digi card in and set to rest while your sleeping, or do you take it out??

cheers

B…

leave it in on bed and then you cant move unless you start your daily rest again, its all there for vosa to see and you wont be liable for any movement while your parked, drivers who take out their card are willing to break the law as and when it suits.

I dont think moving the lorry 50m qualifies you to join the running bent club…

You’ve gone quiet now curryfart.

tachograph:

Carryfast:

Saaamon:
When i was on paper chart i was given infringements for not putting a small mark at the start and end of my shift and so as your not recording the fact your ending shift by leaving your digi card in and just putting it on rest surely it works the same?

It it’s a paper chart it has to show an unbroken 24 hr record just putting a mark at the point where it’s removed and/or put back isn’t good enough.If you need to remove it for whatever reason during that 24 hr period you continue the record on the back using the graph provided in just the same way as using the old log books.If you’re using the vehicle all the time including nights out and the chart is removed in that case VOSA would want to be given an explanation why it was removed and not left in for the full 24 hrs.

That’s nonsense, there’s no requirement to leave a chart in for 24 hours nor is there any requirement to complete the chart for the 24 hours.

I’ve never seen or heard of anyone completing a full 24 hours on a chart.

The time between shifts is assumed by VOSA to be a rest period.

The exact regulations is bellow and there’s certainly no mention of having to complete the chart for the full 24 hours.

Drivers shall use the record sheets or driver cards every
day on which they are driving, starting from the moment they take over
the vehicle. The record sheet or driver card shall not be
withdrawn before the end of the daily working period unless its withdrawal
is otherwise authorized.

I didn’t say that there’s any requirement to leave the chart in for 24 hrs what I said was that ‘all’ the time during that 24 hrs has to be accounted for either by continuing the record on the back as a log book would be used or by leaving it in the tacho.However as I’ve said it’s not unheard of for employers or the authorities to ask questions as to why a chart was removed especially assuming the driver is using the truck for nights out.

During my time I never heard anyone say that the authorities would ‘automatically assume’,that any unaccounted for time over the 24 hr period record on a tacho chart when it’s removed from a vehicle,would be classed as part of the rest period.Which is why tacho charts have a 24 hr manual record facility on the back for that reason. :confused:

I think in this case there seems to be some confusion about what’s meant by ‘daily working period’.

Are you getting confused with some people choosing to put a chart in overnight to record rest as “proof” they’ve take it? The bit on the back is used if the tacho is broken, to record what you’ve been doing away from the truck or other such things.

I always took my analogue charts out after my shift finished and put the new one in when I started my shift and never got tugged by VOSA the trace on the chart shows that you haven’t moved as it starts from the point it finished on the old chart when the new one is put in. You don’t have to keep a chart in for 24hours,how would you go on if you forgot to put a new chart in when the 24 hours was up?

Plus I never recorded my rest on the back of the chart and never got any infringements.

well, i took the card out! working on the theory that i wouldnt have it in if i was at home… :smiley:

cheers fellas!

B…

Bungle, after all this Tacho ■■■■■ I’ve lost track , are you now parked up on your first night out ?
If so where ? Are you comfortable ? Have you got clean underwear and how far away is the boozer ?
Jim

Saaamon:
Are you getting confused with some people choosing to put a chart in overnight to record rest as “proof” they’ve take it? The bit on the back is used if the tacho is broken, to record what you’ve been doing away from the truck or other such things.

There’s not much point in having tachos or log books if no one has to record their rest periods over the course of the 24 hr period just the same as they record all the other activeties.I don’t think there’s any rule out there that says it’s just there to record everything except rest periods and anything that isn’t recorded and accounted for on the chart will be ‘assumed’ to be part of the daily rest period. :confused:

As you say the graph on the back is used to record what you’re doing when you’re way from the truck and it’s not possible to use the vehicle’s tacho to record what you’re doing for whatever reason.Which common sense says ‘includes’ the daily rest period taken during the 24 hours in the case of a job which doesn’t involve nights out with the vehicle. :bulb:

However in the case of a vehicle used for tramping operations and therefore nights out it’s understandable that the employer or the authorities might be likely to ask questions as to why the chart was removed overnight assuming the driver chooses to remove it in that case.Just as would sometimes be the case when it’s removed during the course of an actual working shift. :bulb:

Although tachograph could clear the issue up by finding the relevant rule which says that any unrecorded and unaccounted for time on the chart during the 24 hr period will be ‘assumed to be’ part of the daily rest period.In which case I spent years wasting time filling in the log graph on the back of tacho charts to account for the whole 24 hr period in the case of spending my daily rest periods at home not with the vehicle. :open_mouth: :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Good luck with it, hope you get a decent night. I never used to sleep ok in the truck, now I reckon I sleep better in it than at home! Less snoring from beside me !!!

Bungle666:
well, i took the card out! working on the theory that i wouldnt have it in if i was at home… :smiley:

That logic is about as sound as it gets. :smiley:

So much overkill from people about ‘keeping legal’ and very little common sense being used. All VOSA are looking for when they pull you, is that your wagon is safe and that you can provide evidence that you respect the rules & aren’t taking the ■■■■.

spectron:
What if you work for 8 hours. Then have 9 off then start again and do a 15. Do you pull over and change tacho when that 24 hour period is up. Put fresh card in then carry on.
You will end up setting the alarm just to get up and change tachos.

When i was on paper charts, i’d leave the card i’d had in whilst working for 5 mins after putting it on bed and finishing for the day, in that 5 mins i would fill in another card with start/finish at the same place, (as i wasnt going anywhere) km’s the same in both sections, (as i wasnt going anywhere) total km’s 0… then i would take the card i had used for work out and then put the one i’d just written out in.
So if for example i’d started at 03:00 and finished at 18:00, and wasnt starting until 08:00 the next day, i would’nt have to get up at 03:00 to change cards, and the one with no mileage on it would show a solid 14hr break. I did have twice as many cards at the end of the week and half of them only had break on them, but whenever i got stopped abroad, the Gendarmes B.A.G etc never had a problem with this.

Did you park at the lodge in avonmouth in the end ■■?

Bungle666:

a couple of questions…

2. do you leave your digi card in and set to rest while your sleeping, or do you take it out??

cheers

B…

You’ll start learning places to park up from www.hgvparking.com Its a site started up by a driver & others contribute to it, there’ll be a smartphone app out shortly.

kindle530:

spectron:
What if you work for 8 hours. Then have 9 off then start again and do a 15. Do you pull over and change tacho when that 24 hour period is up. Put fresh card in then carry on.

When i was on paper charts, i’d leave the card i’d had in whilst working for 5 mins after putting it on bed and finishing for the day, in that 5 mins i would fill in another card with start/finish at the same place, (as i wasnt going anywhere) km’s the same in both sections, (as i wasnt going anywhere) total km’s 0… then i would take the card i had used for work out and then put the one i’d just written out in.
So if for example i’d started at 03:00 and finished at 18:00, and wasnt starting until 08:00 the next day, i would’nt have to get up at 03:00 to change cards, and the one with no mileage on it would show a solid 14hr break. I did have twice as many cards at the end of the week and half of them only had break on them, but whenever i got stopped abroad, the Gendarmes B.A.G etc never had a problem with this.

Were you bored or just felt special after.

Carryfast:
Although tachograph could clear the issue up by finding the relevant rule which says that any unrecorded and unaccounted for time on the chart during the 24 hr period will be ‘assumed to be’ part of the daily rest period.

I didn’t say it was a rule, I thought it was in one of the older VOSA publications, though I can’t find it now so it’s possible I was thinking of what’s on page 39 of GV262 which says that the time between charts will usually be regarded as rest.

But it really doesn’t matter anyway, if you’re saying that legally a driver must complete the graph on the back of a chart to account for the rest period how do you explain the example on page 33 of VOSA’s own publication here

spectron:

kindle530:

spectron:

Were you bored or just felt special after.

yes i did!, thanks for asking :sunglasses:

paulfromwire:

Bungle666:

a couple of questions…

cheers

B…

You’ll start learning places to park up from hgvparking.com Its a site started up by a driver & others contribute to it, there’ll be a smartphone app out shortly.

Or you could use MWay Buddy, on smartphone. It’s a most useful app for any trucker.

tachograph:

Carryfast:
Although tachograph could clear the issue up by finding the relevant rule which says that any unrecorded and unaccounted for time on the chart during the 24 hr period will be ‘assumed to be’ part of the daily rest period.

I didn’t say it was a rule, I thought it was in one of the older VOSA publications, though I can’t find it now so it’s possible I was thinking of what’s on page 39 of GV262 which says that the time between charts will usually be regarded as rest.

But it really doesn’t matter anyway, if you’re saying that legally a driver must complete the graph on the back of a chart to account for the rest period how do you explain the example on page 33 of VOSA’s own publication here

:open_mouth:

It think that shows that there’s actually no requirement for a complete continuous 24 hour record being required either by use of the tacho or manually. :confused:

Look on the bright side at least I wouldn’t have been nicked for putting too much information on my charts. :wink: :laughing: