Well done the torys bring on the road charging

del949:
If my memory is right, when Labour took over from the Tories there was a massive backlog of repairs/ building etc to hospitals, schools etc etc.
The electorate wanted money spent on these issues., along with more police, nurses etc etc.
At each election the Labour party told the electorate that it was going to spend this money and the electorate voted in favour, so labour went ahead and spent it.The people got what they asked for.
Perhaps if the banks hadn’t got into such dire problems the finances of the country would not have been as dire as they are.
Now, however with the Coalition of Tory and Liberals,(what a bunch of power hungry sellouts the Libs are) spending is to slashed, so in a frew years time the hospitals and schools etc etc etc will need a massive amount spending on them, so we will get a Labour government who will start the cycle over again…
As far as I can see there is no end to the cycle
The only constant is that the ordinary working man wil get penalised by either party.

This is exactly right. The tory libdem marriage won’t last longer than it takes to get a referendum on AV - and they will still be ■■■■ out.

I sometimes wounder if the votes go towards the election maybe thats a type of survey they see who,s intrested.
i think they change party,s so they can blame the old party for upping the cost of living.
i must say when the larbour party got in last time tony said he would build 1/2 dozen hospitals when they got power.
well i know a chap who was designing a new hospital and to get everything together it took 10 years to process.
to order all the specalised equipment and get things in situ. so on that count he already had knowllage that a hospital
was about to be anounced. he made it sound like he was going to get a jcb and just start the day after the election.
why not tell the truth that they was inheriting a project good or bad… after swareing at each other all day i bet they
dine out and get on as well as theives. and as we say its the public who pay they just screw with our money.
going to sit down again

Lycanthrope:

Harry Monk:

164480:
thats 100% true,its going to cost us the public,everything will go up in price to pay for it.

Yes it will, but once again, this is because of the mistakes of the last government, not this one.

Agree with Harry, sad thing is that most people just don’t understand that, and will blame the new government (who are just trying to sort out Labours mistakes) for all the increases in tax etc etc etc… Next election all the numpties will vote Labour and we’ll be back in the same mess again. If the Consvs actually stayed in power long enough and had a chance to sort everything out, we would all be better off and the country would be a better place.

they had 18 years IIRC and look what happened they left the country with a mess so money had to be spent in fact the tories let Seamins build a nice new building in the North East but it lasted 5 yrs but was always goin to close even before it was build so a white elephant now

yes it had a big deficit now but due to action taken last year we were actually startin to make some of it back if you actually look :unamused:

Wrong.
Government spending has nothing to do with the banks.
The only money the government has is what tax they can levy from us.
Brown gambled that this recession would be as short as the last one and by getting a loan from the money markets he could ride over it without cutting spending.
Then as that line of credit ran out he started printing money (quantitative easing) knocking value off our currency.
Thats why he went around the world flogging his idea hoping the rest of the world would do the same making it more of a leval playing field.
The trouble was that we are a service nation with no one to service.
Other countries make things to sell to others this brings in hard cash.
We made MORGAGES!
no other country on earth has as many home owners, each buying on credit to be paid off in 25 years, using credit cards, shopping in cars on credit.
every one wanted a slice of the cake that was only so big. In fact, people began claiming it was their right to own a house. No one wants to rent as they do abroad.
Now the adverage size house is smaller than the old coucil house.
No government had the nerve to stop public dedt getting out of hand. (1 Trillion, sum of all morgages, credit cards etc.)
and yes when the times where good, the government never saved (as did germany, france etc.).
We have the same size population as france but we produce less per person and the government spends more on a person than france. (NHS, welfare state) but we have less space.
We want every thing on a plate but don’t want to pay for it.
Time to start making things, use private health insurance, reduce goverment spending, make morgages hard to get, make credit harder too thus injecting more cash around.

This road charging per mile is just technology for technologies sake. Its bad for the environment as they have to manufacture, ship, contruct and install cameras, comms, huge computer networks to handle payments, most companies will want paper invoices or will print emailed invoices, staff in a big call center to handle registrations, deal with problems, someone has to chase those that don’t pay etc etc. The employees will probably have to DRIVE to the call center FFS!!!

If they want to charge people depending on how environmentally friendly their vehicle is and how far they travel dump all forms of road funding, ie road tax, and what goes to central and local government and put it all on fuel. The fuel duty recovery system is already in place and has been proven to work for years, the more you drive, the more you pay, the less environmentally friendly your vehicle is the more you pay. They can even discount certain industries if they wish through rebaits as happens now.

It’s so simple I can’t believe anyone entertains this rediculous ‘big brother’ camera system.

Lycanthrope:

Harry Monk:

164480:
thats 100% true,its going to cost us the public,everything will go up in price to pay for it.

Yes it will, but once again, this is because of the mistakes of the last government, not this one.

Agree with Harry, sad thing is that most people just don’t understand that If the Consvs actually stayed in power long enough and had a chance to sort everything out, we would all be better off and the country would be a better place.

Like it was during most of the 1980’s and 1990’s. :open_mouth: :unamused: :laughing:They’re all the same bunch of tossers with a different name.

Cynic-al:
This road charging per mile is just technology for technologies sake. Its bad for the environment as they have to manufacture, ship, contruct and install cameras, comms, huge computer networks to handle payments, most companies will want paper invoices or will print emailed invoices, staff in a big call center to handle registrations, deal with problems, someone has to chase those that don’t pay etc etc. The employees will probably have to DRIVE to the call center FFS!!!

If they want to charge people depending on how environmentally friendly their vehicle is and how far they travel dump all forms of road funding, ie road tax, and what goes to central and local government and put it all on fuel. The fuel duty recovery system is already in place and has been proven to work for years, the more you drive, the more you pay, the less environmentally friendly your vehicle is the more you pay. They can even discount certain industries if they wish through rebaits as happens now.

It’s so simple I can’t believe anyone entertains this rediculous ‘big brother’ camera system.

I just read all the post and was about to say we already have a system in place…Cynic-al your spot on mate.

Carryfast:
Like it was during most of the 1980’s and 1990’s. :open_mouth: :unamused: :laughing:They’re all the same bunch of tossers with a different name.

Well I agree, in fact I would say the Blair/Brown government was more hostile towards working people than any I have never known before. Mass immigration was designed to hold down our wages, government policy has seen Tesco etc destroy life for small shopkeepers and those without cars, a working man cannot even enjoy a smoke in a pub any more.

Harry Monk:

164480:

Absolutely spot on Harry.

The last Govt was spending far more than it was raising in tax etc BEFORE the recession arrived.

Whichever way you look at it, it was dishonest - either not having the (zb) to raise taxes to pay for the “marvellous” services we were getting, or expecting it to be paid for in future by someone else.

Even with the spending cuts announced in total in the budget we will still be paing £250 billion in interest on the national debt over the next 5 years - what an absolute disgrace.

If road pricing goes through why does it affect hauliers?? All trucks will have to pay it - UK or foreign - the costs will just go onto everything we use.

It’s all Gordon (zb) Brown’s fault…

TC

Harry Monk:

Carryfast:

Well I agree, in fact I would say the Blair/Brown government was more hostile towards working people than any I have never known before. Mass immigration was designed to hold down our wages, government policy has seen Tesco etc destroy life for small shopkeepers and those without cars, a working man cannot even enjoy a smoke in a pub any more.

But Maggie was’nt exactly a friend of the working classes and it’s always been Tory policy to hold down wages by either importing cheap labour or exporting the jobs together with mass redundancies to build up a large pool of labour to fix the market.Blair was actually inspired by Maggie and just carried on her policies under the red flag of convenience.We’re run by the interests of big business which is why the big firms will always get what they want and why the big rail freight interests will always be looked after at the expense of road transport.But there’s a lot here who are under the mistaken idea that road charging or any further taxation on road transport can be passed on through higher haulage rates.In today’s economic climate forget it.It will just mean more reduction in the road transport industry with a few extra jobs for train drivers.

cheesey:
Wrong.
Government spending has nothing to do with the banks.
The only money the government has is what tax they can levy from us.
Brown gambled that this recession would be as short as the last one and by getting a loan from the money markets he could ride over it without cutting spending.
Then as that line of credit ran out he started printing money (quantitative easing) knocking value off our currency.
Thats why he went around the world flogging his idea hoping the rest of the world would do the same making it more of a leval playing field.
The trouble was that we are a service nation with no one to service.
Other countries make things to sell to others this brings in hard cash.
We made MORGAGES!
no other country on earth has as many home owners, each buying on credit to be paid off in 25 years, using credit cards, shopping in cars on credit.
every one wanted a slice of the cake that was only so big. In fact, people began claiming it was their right to own a house. No one wants to rent as they do abroad.
Now the adverage size house is smaller than the old coucil house.
No government had the nerve to stop public dedt getting out of hand. (1 Trillion, sum of all morgages, credit cards etc.)
and yes when the times where good, the government never saved (as did germany, france etc.).
We have the same size population as france but we produce less per person and the government spends more on a person than france. (NHS, welfare state) but we have less space.
We want every thing on a plate but don’t want to pay for it.
Time to start making things, use private health insurance, reduce goverment spending, make morgages hard to get, make credit harder too thus injecting more cash around.

Well said Cheesey. Click the link to find out 1 or 2 more things you didn’t mention.

debtbombshell.com/ :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

If that doesn’t make you want to pack up and leave nothing will. :cry: :cry:

so lets get this straight, a tory government is planning on selling off the motorway network which has been bought and paid for by the brittish public to “private investers” so the new owners can then charge the brittish public to use the network which they once owned?
lol it’s like groundhog day!

I’ll give labour one thing, they did bring down interest rates.

I know that for the savers that wasnt so good, but for someone like me that now has a mortgage its brilliant. I remember when my parents wanted to buy thier house in the village where we lived, the mortgage company wanted £63,000 for a 2 bed semi, and that was in the 80’s under Thatcher, my parents couldnt afford that even though both worked full time.

As for the road system, I agree and do what they do in France, toll the motorway network. Let us pay on our fuel cards, or have a TAG system, build more industry outside the towns and cities so that we can get to them. How many times when you visit France on holiday do you see anything bigger than a 7.5t truck delivering in the towns■■? I know I havent and I spent, accumatively, 3 yrs over there working.

Yes the tories are going to lead us to ruin, but when they go out and another new government come in we might actually stand a chance of making this country work. Everyone blames the last government for getting us in to this, but everyone seems to forget it was not only them. The bankers were just as much to blame, buying sub-prime toxic debt from the US, why shouldn’t we claim the £1T back from them■■?

SWraith:

I know that for the savers that wasnt so good, but for someone like me that now has a mortgage its brilliant.

Yeah right so those like me who rely on savings earnt by working for the money have our money used at sfa rates by housebuyers to feather their own nest and make a fortune by buying a place on someone else’s effort which they then sell on for a profit causing the next poor lot down the line who needs to buy a house to need more money than they can afford to buy it and the one who lent the money in the first place has to watch their savings fall to a bit fat zero.However those interest rates are’nt a true reflection of the actual difference between savings and lending rates which are still high enough to cause hardship to many borrowers while savers also lose out because of the difference between the two which is how the banks make such huge profits.

paul b:
so lets get this straight, a tory government is planning on selling off the motorway network which has been bought and paid for by the brittish public to “private investers” so the new owners can then charge the brittish public to use the network which they once owned?
lol it’s like groundhog day!

Just like they did with council housing and public utilities which is why anyone who can’t afford to pay someone a massive mark up on a privatised council house which someone else was effectively given,after it was paid for out of taxes,is on the street and why we pay foreign owned companies massive profits for our water.

Deathstar:
Well at least they are cutting the funding of speed cameras by about £20 million and some of the staff that review the shots are being made redundant.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

good.

my girls get free school milk, fruit and vegtables. i cant see road charging ever coming in it would be too expensive and i think would bring in wide scale riots like the poll tax.

charge foreign lorries £100 a day for me i dont care then they wont come and more jobs for the english. :wink:

SWraith:

Not so, interest rate decisions are left entirely to the Bank of England, but our interest rate is determined largely by the interest rate in the USA. Both will probably start to rise this year.

Not so, interest rate decisions are left entirely to the Bank of England

true now but wan’t previousley, also it was the Labour govt that gave the Bank or England those powers.

Harry Monk:

SWraith:

Not so, interest rate decisions are left entirely to the Bank of England, but our interest rate is determined largely by the interest rate in the USA. Both will probably start to rise this year.

There’s no comparison between US rates and UK ones.They’ve had low lending rates for years fixed for the term of the mortgage.The only connection is that they then wanted British banks to bail out theirs when they found that their profits were’nt enough at best or they made a loss at worst.The reality is that UK borrowers still pay more than US ones but British investors get sfa for their money thereby making extra money for UK banks to bail out the yanks.

3300John:
hiya… if they start charging the French drivers to use our roads they might stop coming altogeather and then we,ll be in the sh…
we don,t grow much in the UK anymore and we don,t make anything theres only eddie to move what bit there is left to move.
I think times are going to get worse and the goverment can,t see it coming, we can,t blame any one party they are all as bad as
each other, I bet Brown give a sigh of reliff when he lost the last election he can slip off to Dubi or somewhere and start a new life
leaving us lot in the sh… he,ll still get 70 grand a year pension been a ex prime minister and live on freebies like the rest have done
over the years.
John
blood presure falling now ter arr.

If French drivers stopped coming to the UK I am sure British Hauliers would start going over there again, but even if we charge for using our roads it wouldn’t cost the French any more than they pay now at home. When Germany and Austria started per mile charges the French still kept going there as did all other nations. The thing with any of these charges is they apply to domestic as well as international vehicles so we all pay the same.
I would think as we are an Island nation we would do well to adopt the Swiss system as there is far less infrastructure to put up and due to our borders it would be easy to use shipping companies as our collecting agents for a minimal cost.