Well done HATO

Thanks for towing that truck into a lay by between Godmanchester and Spittalls on the A14 this pm rather than just close a lane.
I was’nt that far behind but I know the queues were already back to Cambridge services,meant everyone on their way fairly quickly.

That’ll be him/her sacked then if it get’s back to “THE MANAGEMENT” :confused:

Think on the positive side, :slight_smile:
they did what had to done and in circumstances that may have been more beneficial,
cant see a problem with it. :sunglasses:
If the armchair swivellers were more in touch with what goes on on the ground level and understood capabilities of the equipment. :smiling_imp:

4 x 4 selected in the correct ratio and gear are more than capable of sorting something in that situation, been done before + sure to be done again.

If a record breaking man can tow an artic from standstill on level ground with his teeth or ear, then am sure a 4x4 is more than capable.

The actual inertia and strain weight to roll a truck with wheels rolling is way below the max swl limits of the kit and tow equip`. This has been proven .
I know of a recovery company who have those statistics in their company training package for their personel.

The key is common sense and to know the limitations .
. Good on them for growing some balls. :wink:

speedyguy:
That’ll be him/her sacked then if it get’s back to “THE MANAGEMENT” :confused:

Correct me if I am wrong, but the purpose of ISU’s and HATO is to keep the traffic flowing safely on the roads. This person has done exactly that. Difficult to sack someone for doing their job properly, in government service, sacking someone for doing wrong is nigh on impossible.

There are those that would argue the whole H&S point of view but if they have 4x4’s and are equipped and trained (or otherwise duly authorised) I see no problem in them removing an obstruction from the carriageway. Isn’t this one of the reasons of the Motorway Police units having suitable 4x4’s too?

And as you say, it is beneficial to keep the traffic moving.

No detriment to health, and all safely done it seems – job done ,
timely and safely executed in a beneficial manner and carriageway cleared for safe roads, reliable journeys + informed travellers — wheres the problem with that . Once it`s in the layby, the fitter/recovery can work at their leisure in a more safer location and under less stress + duress.
Though i agree , others may view it differently.

But for the sceptics amongst, this cant always be done .
Circumstances can be different, and especially if the brakes have locked on or low air in tanks.

I know exactly where speedy is coming from, I done the same thing in roadworks, towed a heavy out of the way because other heavies couldn’t squeeze past due to metal safety barriers. Did I get thanked for using my head, no! I got my bollox in a sling from management for exceeding the safe towing weight. :frowning:

The Highway Man:
I know exactly where speedy is coming from, I done the same thing in roadworks, towed a heavy out of the way because other heavies couldn’t squeeze past due to metal safety barriers. Did I get thanked for using my head, no! I got my bollox in a sling from management for exceeding the safe towing weight. :frowning:

This obsession with H+S gets in the way of getting the job done. If you look at your job there are risks that have to be taken, you cannot work on a live road without a degree of danger. If there was an ambulance trapped in that congestion do you look the other way? no of course not, you would make every effort to get on it’s way.

If you took the danger out of jobs they would getting very boring, it is human nature to have a gamble.

The allowed towing limit for hato is 2.5t but a discovery will move a 44t without even thinking about it,not that I have ever done that off course :laughing: .
The best thing to do is ask the 44t truck driver (44t truck,not driver) does your truck weigh 2.5t and when he says yes,problem solved.Being a thick traffic officer,my management cant tell me im wrong. :smiley:
It is nice to be appreciated though,instead of getting moaned at. :slight_smile:

Pardon me while i get my weight scales out ,
excuse me - would you and your vee-hee-cular hop onto these scales a mo` ---------- oh my :exclamation: :open_mouth: you are a big boy :open_mouth: :laughing:

leave it out , make an assessment and get the job done one way or another.
2 can play at "by the book " when it comes to it – just that some “forget” when it suits them.

Saratoga:
There are those that would argue the whole H&S point of view but if they have 4x4’s and are equipped and trained (or otherwise duly authorised) I see no problem in them removing an obstruction from the carriageway. Isn’t this one of the reasons of the Motorway Police units having suitable 4x4’s too?

And as you say, it is beneficial to keep the traffic moving.

I have no issue with that and have had my arse kicked more times than enough :grimacing: for “trying to keep lanes open” :open_mouth:

They don’t look at the fact you opened a lane an hr quicker and saved the economy a fortune, which is what the job is about :bulb: they tug you for exceeding the ‘safe’ towstrap limit, and if it snaps :open_mouth:.

I wouldn’t use a shackle :wink: as that may come through my back window at speed but if the strap snaps i have been known to tie a knot in it and have another go :grimacing: . Maybe i am too reckless in my attempts to try and keep stuff moving and as safe as poss ?

I have pointed out many times someone has pulled a truck with their teeth :smiling_imp: But they’ll just tell us it probably wasn’t loaded, as has been pointed out to “THE MANAGEMENT” it doesn’t take a lot of force to “roll” a truck. And if it’s on a slope i’ll roll it backwards if the drivers any good and it’s safe :astonished:

I too am thankful for this. I saw it break down and the truck behind it nearly went straight up it’s arse. I was expecting delays on the way back, but it was in the layby when i went past :smiley:

The Highway Man:
I got my bollox in a sling from management

Not for the first time, or last knowing you!! We still on for 20th■■?

Mick

oscardog:

The Highway Man:
I got my bollox in a sling from management

Not for the first time, or last knowing you!! We still on for 20th■■?

Mick

■■? mistaken identity perhaps :wink:

The Highway Man:
■■? mistaken identity perhaps :wink:

Senior moment perhaps ? lol :laughing:

Must be the colder air further up :grimacing:

On the flipside,
What you have to remember is what the HSE committee verdict would be if it went pear shaped, if operating outside of the safe working parameters.
But as we know , you will have assessed it and not be reckless will you :wink:

Of course I assessed it, massive tailbacks and everyone looking at me to do something so I cleared the carriageway and got the traffic flowing. Isn’t that we were taken on to do? :wink:

The Highwayman,Oscardog is referring to me.You must excuse him,its old age. :smiley: Both Oscardog and myself ALWAYS follow procedure by the book. :laughing:
Apart from when we don’t to keep lanes open. :smiley:

Glad that’s sortred out otherwise I’d have to set slabber onto him armed with a couple of old mouldy pies!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Us old ■■■■■ will remember in 1970 when the Police used Range Rovers on the motorways equipped with big zb off rubber bump strips. It seems only the Met have them nowadays, is it because the police vehicles are generally leased?

Mind you things were different in those days as I remember recovering a broken Leyland Boxer and a loaded multilift skip with a 2.0 Ford Capri Automatic, the only thing in the yard with a towbar :laughing:

disgo:
Thanks for towing that truck into a lay by between Godmanchester and Spittalls on the A14 this pm rather than just close a lane.
I was’nt that far behind but I know the queues were already back to Cambridge services,meant everyone on their way fairly quickly.

Whoo hoo glad to be of service :wink:

It was only a baby 3 1/2 tonner (empty) clutch had gone police had aready coned out lane 1 eager beavers trusty old 200000 miles disco done the job got it to the lay by with plod protecting my rear end. Job done.