Well boss...I lent my digi card to someone else?

I know this has been discussed before, but I am on holiday this week and managed to get an interview/driving assessment.

I had to use my digi card. Now, what do I tell my current employer when he sees the unknown truck on the download (done weekly)?

Is it really fair that we can’t go to interviews without our current employer knowing?

Any good excuses?

You just helped out a mate didn’t you? :wink:

Boss I’m sick :laughing: SICK OF TIRED WORKING FOR YOU! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Hired an 18tonner to help a friend move a priceless work of art too big for a 7.5t, or maybe helped the local operatic society collect a set for their latest production.

Good point !

One of our drivers got dismissed a while back because he drove for an agency whilst on holiday, so how do you go for an assessment without your current employer knowing, the only way would be to ‘Not put your card in’

I think its a little different between working for someone else and just driving a vehicle with a tacho, your not getting paid for the interview and as its your tacho the company you work for has no right to know more than, you drove a vehicle with a tacho fitted which legally you were required to use AND that you werent paid for driving the vehicle. As long as you weren’t on a weekly rest therefore giving yourself an infringement your free to do as you please.

martinviking:
Good point !

One of our drivers got dismissed a while back because he drove for an agency whilst on holiday, so how do you go for an assessment without your current employer knowing, the only way would be to ‘Not put your card in’

Why shouldn’t he drive for an agency while on holiday? It’s his holiday to do what he likes with. It shouldn’t even impact on his WTD hours, since statutory holiday days count as working time.

Rhythm Thief:

martinviking:
Good point !

Why shouldn’t he drive for an agency while on holiday? It’s his holiday to do what he likes with. It shouldn’t even impact on his WTD hours, since statutory holiday days count as working time.

It’s in the contracts. I don’t like it either, but they see it as a way to keep it all legal with WTD & Drivers hours.

As Benji states, it’s your Digi card-but the info on it is anybody’s !

I knew someone who used to do newspapers at night using analogue tacho’s. During the day he worked for an engineering company/not driving, he used to sleep in the wagon whilst waiting for the papers. So his drivers hours were ok (on paper) he just didn’t tell his employers what he used to do at night.

If I was to do the same now with a Digi card, it would show up straight away (assuming I only had 1 card !) be in black & white showing insufficient daily rest.

martinviking:

Rhythm Thief:

martinviking:
Good point !

It’s in the contracts. I don’t like it either, but they see it as a way to keep it all legal with WTD & Drivers hours.

I knew someone who used to do newspapers at night using analogue tacho’s. During the day he worked for an engineering company/not driving, he used to sleep in the wagon whilst waiting for the papers. So his drivers hours were ok (on paper) he just didn’t tell his employers what he used to do at night.

If I was to do the same now with a Digi card, it would show up straight away (assuming I only had 1 card !) be in black & white showing insufficient daily rest.

How would it show up on a digi card if your other job wasn’t driving

Tipper Tom:

martinviking:

Rhythm Thief:

martinviking:
Good point !

It wouldn’t, I was on about driving for someone else.

martinviking:

Tipper Tom:

martinviking:

Rhythm Thief:

martinviking:
Good point !

I must of misread your post. Sorry. I took it as your example. Bloke has a non driving job in the day and delivers papers at night only using a tacho at night. Wouldn’t show up. But I see if your on about having 2 driving jobs then yes digi wouldn’t be your friend

Tipper Tom:

martinviking:

Tipper Tom:

martinviking:

Rhythm Thief:

martinviking:
Good point !

I must of misread your post. Sorry. I took it as your example. Bloke has a non driving job in the day and delivers papers at night only using a tacho at night. Wouldn’t show up. But I see if your on about having 2 driving jobs then yes digi wouldn’t be your friend

Unless you had ‘2’ :wink:

martinviking:

Tipper Tom:

martinviking:

Tipper Tom:

martinviking:

Rhythm Thief:

martinviking:
Good point !

But no one would ever do anything like that

Tipper Tom:

martinviking:

Tipper Tom:

martinviking:

Tipper Tom:

martinviking:

Rhythm Thief:

martinviking:
Good point !

But no one would ever do anything like that

:smiley:

grumpybum:
I know this has been discussed before, but I am on holiday this week and managed to get an interview/driving assessment.

I had to use my digi card. Now, what do I tell my current employer when he sees the unknown truck on the download (done weekly)?

Is it really fair that we can’t go to interviews without our current employer knowing?

Any good excuses?

Unless there is something in your employment contract that says you cannot drive for anyone else and the driving you did has no effect on what you do for your current employer then you need to tell them … nothing

If the assessment is classed as commercial driving (I think it is) then that is likely to have an effect on the RTD
You are legally obliged to inform your employer of work done for anyone else so that RTD records can be kept legal

If your current employer has given you 48 hours for the RTD for the week off and you inform them you did say a 1 hour drive under EU regs then the days off count as 8 hours each and not 48 for the week

That might work to both you and your employers advantage because 5 days holls would be 48 hours RTD but 5 x 8 hours = 40 hours for RTD

If the 1 hour assessment was during a holls day then that day would be 1 hour and not 8 for RTD

I am certain I have all that correct but stand to be corrected

Just use your card,if he mentions it after downloading it then tell him the
truth.
If you get the job none of it will matter,if you dont then your boss can decide
how he wants to manage this brave new world where one of his minions cuts the
fence.

His reactions could range from surprising to poor,but either way you will not have
to worry about getting caught out.

Just tell him you were taking a mates truck who’s an owner driver in for a service

Having considered all options, I think I’ll just tell the truth if asked. I’m not good at lying - my face lights up like a red beacon and announces my deceit! :unamused:

Not sure how they’ll take it. Employers know that people go for interviews on the sly, but nowadays it gets presented on a printout. Suspecting an employee is looking elsewhere is one thing - having it spelled out is another.

Cheers for your thoughts chaps :smiley:

grumpybum:
Having considered all options, I think I’ll just tell the truth if asked. I’m not good at lying - my face lights up like a red beacon and announces my deceit! :unamused:

Not sure how they’ll take it. Employers know that people go for interviews on the sly, but nowadays it gets presented on a printout. Suspecting an employee is looking elsewhere is one thing - having it spelled out is another.

Cheers for your thoughts chaps :smiley:

Wise choice,also dont forget you may want to give your boss as a
reference.
You can use this to your advantage by asking your interviewer not to
contact him unless there is a chance of a job offer.So if they do contact
him then you know they are interested.

grumpybum:

Any good excuses?

You where visiting a mate down south (or somewhere else your gaffer dont know) & helped that mate (who happened to be an O/O) out, by taking a rental truck back to Ryder / Dawson's, your mate was maxed out on hrs having done a 6th shift & couldn`t drive it themselves, but followed you in the car/van & picked you up from the yard & you got paid in wine/beer. The time taken to take a rental back would equate to the time an assessment/test drive would take. Just make sure you look up the address of the local truck renters in case the gaffer asks where you took it. :wink:

Rhythm Thief:

martinviking:
Good point !

Why shouldn’t she drive for an agency while on holiday? It’s her holiday to do what she likes with. It shouldn’t even impact on her WTD hours, since statutory holiday days count as working time.

FTFY :stuck_out_tongue: