Weight at front of trailer when dropping it

How much weight can you safely have at the front of a trailer beyond where the legs are to safely drop it without risking it tipping?

Depends where it is, if you’re unsure drop it high, pull out slightly and drop suspension right down and see what it’s doing and take it from there.

DJC:
Depends where it is, if you’re unsure drop it high, pull out slightly and drop suspension right down and see what it’s doing and take it from there.

9 pallets loaded from head board.

4 of them are totally in front of legs, 2 are slightly in front but with some of the weight of them over the legs, and the other 3 are behind the legs.

Rowley010:

DJC:

9 pallets loaded from head board.

4 of them are totally in front of legs, 2 are slightly in front but with some of the weight of them over the legs, and the other 3 are behind the legs.

Wouldn’t have a clue without knowing the weight of the pallets.

A ton each

Usually ok with pallets ton and under it’s reels of paper, double stacked pallets, and that kind of thing smack against the headboard that usually does it.

Sounds like it should be okay but as said if unsure, pull out slightly and lower your suspension. If the back of the trailer starts to lift then don’t pull out.

Isn’t pulling out sposed to be unreliable?

:wink:

7 ton max !!!from experience :smiley:

9 ton will send it down on its nose. We had that happen in our yard.

Was that 9 ton in front of the legs though? This is about 6 ton actually forward of the legs and the rest is either over or behind the legs

I’d say… less than this much. :wink:

yourhavingalarf:
Isn’t pulling out sposed to be unreliable?

:wink:

Dammit, you can’t say anything anymore!

Radar19:

Yes but that depends on how far forward the weight is and what type of trailer so I’d say lots of different scenarios going on, most of our trailers have tail lifts which obviously add a bit of weight to the tail end.

Well I dropped it and it’s still upright.

Air up and drove out slow and kept checking the back end.

I’ve left a note for the night driver who’s getting to warn him of a heavy front end and that the air needs to go up before dropping. I also phoned the office and explained that to them. So hopefully he will drop it carefully like I did.

If it was going to go over it would do it straight away wouldn’t it? I know that sounds like a stupid question but it’s playing on my mind now! It’s one of those situations that I wish I positioned to load differently but at the time it wasn’t practical to do so and I was keeping hold of the trailer initially rather than dropping it so I gambled and left the load as it was. Then they phone up and say now your dropping it.

I hope I’ve covered myself now. Surely if I did it really carefully and it was ok then even if the next driver doesn’t care and yanks it out it still wouldn’t go over would it?

From previous experience, krone euroliner, Jost landing legs rated at 25t a pair (static load) are quite happy with 4 ibc’s sat on the head board, ok the front of the chassis is bending quite nicely, and none of the airbags have any air in them…

Today…VanHool tilt, ten pallets of 1 tonne granules up front with 2 and a half pallets to the rear of the legs, stood upright no probs.

AndrewG:
Today…VanHool tilt, ten pallets of 1 tonne granules up front with 2 and a half pallets to the rear of the legs, stood upright no probs.

So 10 ton actually forward of the legs? Or was some of the 10 ton behind the legs?

bald bloke:

Radar19:

Yes but that depends on how far forward the weight is and what type of trailer so I’d say lots of different scenarios going on, most of our trailers have tail lifts which obviously add a bit of weight to the tail end.

Our are Euroliners and other Euro crap. All flimsy types. It had 9 ton on the headboard. Driver pulled his unit out then donk, the trailer smacks the deck.

Radar19:

bald bloke:

Radar19:

Our are Euroliners and other Euro crap. All flimsy types. It had 9 ton on the headboard. Driver pulled his unit out then donk, the trailer smacks the deck.

What was behind the legs though?