Weekly hours when tramping

Hi,
Newbie here just done class 2 and will be doing class 1 shortly.

When on a tramping shift pattern what is the average weekly hours worked just for say Monday to Friday? I’m aware of max hours etc but I’m just curious how many hours you would work on average for a normal week? What time would you normally start on a Monday morning and what time would you finish on the Friday?

Thanks

2am 3am 4 am start monday, be lucky if youre home friday probably running in on a saturday maxxed out threw week loads of 9s off and possibly some split daily rests, youll feel like youve had a sleep tho :slight_smile:

Never done it so sorry I can’t help, but I do know that if I was tramping I would want to try and max the hours the best I could, if you’re going to be away it might as well pay the best it can :smiley:

Mon-Fri normally about 60hrs as i park up fairly early due to customers closing before 5pm and not opening till 7am. Less then i did on days doing foodservice where you were maxing the hours to get the lorry back each night for reload.

I worked 60-70, I’d never max out for the sake of it, and more often then not I’ll of tried to park up within walking distance of a pub/town. Especially in summer :smiley:
Seen some lovely places and some random places met some great people on the road. Tramping is what you make of it and I miss it badly. Do 60-68 hours a week now ‘home every night’ and I’m shattered and hate the daily trip to work and going to the same places all the time zzzzz. When daughters a bit bigger will be ringing my old firm and going back they’ve said I’m always welcome which is nice.

When I did was work for a small furniture company I was doing deliveries up to 9pm at customers homes addresses and everything inbetween. Now I get done about 5 at night and don’t have to start till 7 the next day. I miss that furniture job though, I was on my own to manage everything with the customer, going all over the country in a small 7.5t. Doing deliveries at all hours, it was proper good fun. Apart from the night heater not working and the tacho unit being borked.

Start when I want on a Monday. Usually 5. Then it’s about 65 to 70 hours and home Friday afternoon hopefully.

For me it varies from 65 to 80 hours per week paid hours, in that there is about 20 to 30 hours of rest/ break, clearing £550 to 650ish.

Suits me as theres also hidden benefits like commuting costs, one less mouth to feed for the wife, time of life when my partner enjoys me away all week and a hug or coitus is on the cards when I return home.

Hourly rate is nothing to crow about but for me it works great.

Dipper_Dave:
For me it varies from 65 to 80 hours per week paid hours, in that there is about 20 to 30 hours of rest/ break, clearing £550 to 650ish…

Is that a wind up?

If not how can you ridicule someone for not accepting a full time job for 14 years when they can clear that easily on 50 hours agency and home every day.

You got to be on over £15hr to clear £550 on 50hr so im guessing thats 5x nights or weekend work?

m_attt:

Dipper_Dave:
For me it varies from 65 to 80 hours per week paid hours, in that there is about 20 to 30 hours of rest/ break, clearing £550 to 650ish…

Is that a wind up?

If not how can you ridicule someone for not accepting a full time job for 14 years when they can clear that easily on 50 hours agency and home every day.

Fair point, but a tongue in cheek comment banter thread is a bit different (think I even used the sarcastic emoticon at the time). For me driving isnt just about the money its a way of life, passion if you will.

Tramping doesnt suit everyone and confuses many with the long hours but every morning im well rested, quality time with the family is even more special and touch wood I can keep doing it for a while.

mrginge:
You got to be on over £15hr to clear £550 on 50hr so im guessing thats 5x nights or weekend work?

Average £13ph which is easily done no nights occasional sat morning.

m_attt:

mrginge:

Average £13ph which is easily done no nights occasional sat morning.

Rates must have gone up then £13ph was Sat agency rate for me and £10 in the week, done it all though nights, days, etc but I prefer tramping. Long hours but lots of free time, no getting to work stress, hidden benefits that admittedly dont suit everyone.

In the end im just a easily replaceable driver fluffing the truck to earn money for the company that leaves me alone to do the job and fill in me own hours. Nice share scheme as well that may prove profitable.

Its all about the big picture for me, hourly rate is vanity take home is sanity, course I have a nice property portfolio as well that I can manage in my free time. :wink:

OllieNotts:
I worked 60-70, I’d never max out for the sake of it, and more often then not I’ll of tried to park up within walking distance of a pub/town. Especially in summer :smiley:
Seen some lovely places and some random places met some great people on the road. Tramping is what you make of it and I miss it badly. Do 60-68 hours a week now ‘home every night’ and I’m shattered and hate the daily trip to work and going to the same places all the time zzzzz. When daughters a bit bigger will be ringing my old firm and going back they’ve said I’m always welcome which is nice.

This is so true, never done tramping but last week for example I done a few minutes short of 60 hours work over 5 days, no POA just 1 hour and 4 minutes break every night. Over all the working week was just over 65 hours which was fine but the commute in and out from work is the killer… Spoke to another trucker at Bothwell services on Friday morning and i said to him, “Thank god it’s the weekend, when I finish it will be about 65 hours this week!!!” he said “… is that all?” we both laughed. Thing is, I was up and down a tail lift with pallets and cages most of the time, and driving home every morning and back every night, he was probably on/off a bay and kipping in his truck…seems much more beneficial to be tramping to me :smiley:

Thats just it, you can spend 5 - 10 hours commuting weekly when on day work but tramping these hours are spent on a relaxing drive to your chosen night out location and paid as well.

Course some tramping jobs are more strenuous than others but on boxes we just drive, very little load interaction unless a bung is on offer.

I love the moaners that bang on about living in a tin hut with no space or go on like trampers are second class :unamused:
To each their own, I never had a ■■■■ day tramping. Variety was great, only spoke to the boss when I needed a job was left to choose where to park and was great meeting up with other drivers to have a few beers now and then :laughing:
Now I’m constantly harassed on the phone due to strict times, spend 1-1.5 hours a day driving there and back, I work with quite a few set in their ways moaning old ■■■■■ that don’t understand how easy our job is, and constantly get jumped up office staff on the phone being rude. I’ve put 1.5 stone on being at home to I don’t eat healthy at all compared to stopping when I wanted to make some food from the fridge.
I can’t wait to get back down the road.

Seems to be 60-70 hours average then for a normal tramping week.

What time do drivers generally start on a Monday and get back in a Friday?

I start 6.00 am on Monday and finish between 3.00 and 5.00 pm on Friday. I average 50hrs working each week with 4 nights out and take home approx £580 pw, but paid on monthly salary.

why oh why would anyone want to sleep where they work ? why would anyone not want to come home after 10 hrs at work and have a shower and unwind ? why why why why why ?

One 20 minute commute each way once a week. Last week Tuesday evening was spent cycling around Lake Windermere, Thurs evening was on the beach at Newquay. Why go back to the same depot every night? If I went home every night, by the time I got home,had dinner and a shower it would be time to go to bed. I appreciate tramping is not everybody’s cup of tea, but then neither is night trunking,local multi-drop deliveries etc. Each to their own. Been tramping for 30yrs+ and it makes each weekend at home special.