Weekending out

Do any of you weekend away in your truck?

Would you run the engine for a while in the evening to put some charge back into batteries, the reason for the question is that I run a 300 watt inverter to charge an ipad for about 2 or 3 hrs per day, Along with the usual sort of things, bunk light, night heater (at night, when necessary) etc.

I don’t run a fridge or anything permanently from the 24 or 12 volt supply.

I am sure the batteries on a truck should cope with parking up on a Friday night and restarting on the Monday morning (long weekend).

Many thanks

The monkeys:
Do any of you weekend away in your truck?

Would you run the engine for a while in the evening to put some charge back into batteries, the reason for the question is that I run a 300 watt inverter to charge an ipad for about 2 or 3 hrs per day, Along with the usual sort of things, bunk light, night heater (at night, when necessary) etc.

I don’t run a fridge or anything permanently from the 24 or 12 volt supply.

I am sure the batteries on a truck should cope with parking up on a Friday night and restarting on the Monday morning (long weekend).

Many thanks

it woudnt hurt running for a bit if your parkin near a asda sains Tesco muck ducks etc take a stroll in an take ur charger + side is they all have free Wi Fi too so buy a coffee and cake plug in charge and play :wink:

Could also use the wifi for downloading progs from iplayer, just didn’t think they had electrical sockets for use?

Ask the ladies at the help desk to plug your gear in for you. They won’t mind. Running the motor for 20 mins should be OK I find.

The monkeys:
Could also use the wifi for downloading progs from iplayer, just didn’t think they had electrical sockets for use?

if its there use it I do. even charged me phone whilst having a breakfast

The monkeys:
just didn’t think they had electrical sockets for use?

you need a keen eye to spot the power sockets in those places, especially those near seating, and chances are someone beaten you to them

Why are you running a 300w inverter just to charge an I pad just use the 12 v supply. Inverters draw more power than you need to charge your iPad.

Absolutely would run the engine to re-charge the batteries, especially in winter time, a good set of batteries will always need a charge after a weekend of charging the phone, running the night heater, maybe tv, dvd, etc etc, and a i always ran it for an hour before bed, then start her up the next morning, before the night heater…can never be too safe.
Last time there was trouble was when my mate was running with me, parked next to me, then ran everything electric, and next morning wanted a jump start, too lazy and too many beers. :laughing:
but hey, thats what mates are for.

stevtel:
Why are you running a 300w inverter just to charge an I pad just use the 12 v supply. Inverters draw more power than you need to charge your iPad.

I use the inverter to charge the work and personal phone as well. Silly question, but would a USB charger plugged into the 24v ciggy lighter work to charge ipad as I can charge phones etc on the move?

Or just do what the inconsiderate waberers driver did in ashfordski truck stop weds night, at 2215 he decided it was time to run the truck for 30ish minutes, whatever I thought as I was starting at 0445 so I would get my own back. :slight_smile:. No chance as at 0400 he started the truck up and 20MINS later he pulled out…grrrrrr :frowning:

I used to weekend a lot and at this time of year I would run her up for half to three quarters of an hour saturday and sunday either late morning before going to the pub or tea time after and before going back to the pub for the evening.
Quite miss the weekends away sometimes.

The monkeys:

stevtel:

I use the inverter to charge the work and personal phone as well. Silly question, but would a USB charger plugged into the 24v ciggy lighter work to charge ipad as I can charge phones etc on the move?

I always use a twin usb charger for tablet /phone /sat nav it’s 12/24 volt and available from tesco’s or eBay for less than a tenner.

Even on a night out, I’ll run the engine for 20 minutes at the end of the evening ( I never park near houses or other trucks so I’m not disturbing anybody) and if I was weekended and stuck in the cab I’d be running the engine at least twice a day for 30 minutes.

Use a multi adapter with a couple USB sockets. I charge me iPad and iPhone on 24v socket and on the 12v I’ve got work phone sat nav and ear piece charging… Only get my inverter out for my tv/DVD player, however I spend more time on the internet so hardly use tv. That’s why I need all you can eat data… But shouldn’t need to use an inverter…

I have to weekend out and I’ll run the engine a few times too. I’ve always got everything on the charge when I’m driving so it’s all charged up when I park up.

A laptop, video or DVD player will flatten a battery in a matter of hours. If I go out I always carry my smartphone or kindle charger. I always plug it in at a pub or a restaurant, they are burning electric anyway, so a charger isn’t going to hurt. I have only been asked to unplug it once because I turned off the dartboard light :blush:

The monkeys:
Silly question, but would a USB charger plugged into the 24v ciggy lighter work to charge ipad as I can charge phones etc on the move?

Depends on the USB charger. iPads draw a fair amount of current when charging, and if the USB charger is not up to the job they will run on the power from the charger, but the batteries will not actually charge. You will usually see an onscreen message saying “Not charging”. Same will happen if you try to charge an iPad from the mains using an iPhone charger.

I have a 2000 watt inverter microwave toaster laptop, overnight okay but if I was parked for the weekend of course I would run engine. There choice a £1 worth of fuel ot £120 to start wagon what are you worried about run it. Pointless post

I weekend a lot lately. Run my inverter for tv xbox phone iPad and laptop chargers. I run the lorry three times a day. Never park in MSAs and only run the lorry in fm daylight. I’ll take my phone and iPad charger with me to the pub and plug in. I’ve unplugged fruit machines, snack machines all sorts and no one has complained. Don’t have a problem if you’re polite about it.

As DAFman said. No brainer question really, run it or face a bill

It’s funny this thread should appear I was using a USB port until it came up not charging on the iPad then it started smoking don’t think it was up to the job to be honest :laughing: been and bought a new one from tesco since and that’s working fine at the moment