weekend working

I drive for an asda cdc, when I started (10 years ago) I knew and accepted I would have to work some weekends and it worked out about 1 in 3 . however recently we had rota changes to help “business needs” and now we work 55% ( 6 Saturdays and 5 sundays in a 10 week rota). I would be grateful to hear how that compares with other super market depots , and haulage companies in general

From what I see and hear it sounds about right for supermarket deliveries

I work on containers, and never work Sundays, but do alot of Saturdays, along the lines off every other or every 3rd, depending how busy they are and if I want to work it, have as yet never been forced into working a Saturday.

This rota business sounds a bit off a pain.

I’m old enough to remember when the “normal working week” consisted of Monday to Friday plus Saturday mornings. Sunday was a day of rest.
Then all you tossers decided you wanted to accompany your spouses on Sunday shopping trips and everything went to c*ck.

tell em you cant work sundays in future because of religious reasons ! I know they wouldn’t make a jewish employee work on a Saturday !

cab rat:
I drive for an asda cdc, when I started (10 years ago) I knew and accepted I would have to work some weekends and it worked out about 1 in 3 . however recently we had rota changes to help “business needs” and now we work 55% ( 6 Saturdays and 5 sundays in a 10 week rota). I would be grateful to hear how that compares with other super market depots , and haulage companies in general

Welcome to TNUK, you work for a chilled depot and a lot of folks now shop at weekends so therefore you need to supply these supermarkets. I work for a chilled company that supplies chilled RDC’s with fresh food so i’m in some weekends too on a shift system but we start early so the food can get to you who in turn can get it to the shops in time.

Retired Old ■■■■:
IThen all you tossers decided you wanted to accompany your spouses on Sunday shopping trips and everything went to c*ck.

:lol::lol::lol:

Anyway I think if supermarkets really wanted to they could manage with minimal weekend working for drivers (be able to drop loaded trailers on bays doubling up as storage etc, better on site storage). There are some small stores that don’t get deliveries on a Sunday & they are open all day, wonder how they manage…:question:

Dear OP, how much do Asda pay…?

Work a four on four off system which equates to six in eight weekends unfortunately the way everything as gone 24 hour 7 day week economy.

I think a couple of years down the line Christmas day will be a working day

Retired Old ■■■■:
I’m old enough to remember when the “normal working week” consisted of Monday to Friday plus Saturday mornings. Sunday was a day of rest.
Then all you tossers decided you wanted to accompany your spouses on Sunday shopping trips and everything went to c*ck.

That’s only the half of it: Saturday was time and a half and Sunday was double time. All hours over 40 were at time and a half and ‘Dark Money’ (time and one eighth? or one quarter?) was for all relevant hours if starting work between 6pm and 6am.

Then everyone got conned with this Sunday trading nonsense and thought they were so much better off to get not much more then an extra ha’penny on the hourly flat rate for all hours day or night, weekends or whatever.

Mugs. There’s none so blind as those that won’t see.

If I remember correctly it was Tesco who lobbied parliament to allow major supermarkets to open on Sundays.
If we had had any sense whatsoever, we wouldn’t have gone shopping at all on Sundays- they would soon have given up the idea if they were selling nothing.
Serves us right.

Just like 5 on 2 off I don’t think 4 on 4 off would work for a supermarket operation…

Retired Old ■■■■:
If I remember correctly it was Tesco who lobbied parliament to allow major supermarkets to open on Sundays.
If we had had any sense whatsoever, we wouldn’t have gone shopping at all on Sundays- they would soon have given up the idea if they were selling nothing.
Serves us right.

Good for Tesco. People shop on Sundays because they want to, or for many its the most convenient day. I’m a fan of choice and not having a day of rest forced upon us in the name of religion.

Retired Old ■■■■:
Serves us right.

Why shouldn’t we go shopping on a Sunday? Of course if people didn’t go they’d soon shut, but people do go!!

I hate the idea that I live in a society where people don’t even get the time to get a bit of shopping in during the week and have to spend their Sundays traipsing round supermarkets, which are by some distance the most depressing environments on earth. Personally, I’m lucky enough to be able to do most of my shopping in small local shops during weekdays, and I can save my weekends to do cool stuff which I enjoy. It’s a shame not everyone can do this.

Lots of people could go during week, but prefer to go straight home after work and do the ‘big shop’ at the weekend. I actually love wandering round the supermarket buying food. As it happens I’m currently reading a book about the history of Tesco. Its really interesting! They get knocked a lot but dont forget they are the worlds third largest retailer and that’s a pretty impressive fact in a country that seeks to love selling off our best assets to foreign companies

switchlogic:
As it happens I’m currently reading a book about the history of Tesco. Its really interesting! They get knocked a lot but dont forget they are the worlds third largest retailer and that’s a pretty impressive fact in a country that seeks to love selling off our best assets to foreign companies

Yeah & what’s even more interesting is that they were voted the worst supermarket in the UK, profits are down with warnings issued & they’ve failed in the US (thank you recession & walmart), every cloud has a silver lining after all…:laughing:

Thanks for the replies, I was quite happy at asda the work is steady and the pay is ok and I knew what I was letting myself in for when I started, it’s just now I think they have gone too far the other way. I agree with pimpdaddy that with more thought they could eliminate the need for so many weekends :- stores don’t need or want frozen delivered on Saturday night also like the idea of dropping loaded trailers for extra storage but as we don’t get any extra pay for Saturday / Sunday it isn’t a cost issue for them . Btw pimpdaddy I work nights 18:30 start 52 hrs average 40k . Like I say it’s not about the money !

Pimpdaddy:

switchlogic:
As it happens I’m currently reading a book about the history of Tesco. Its really interesting! They get knocked a lot but dont forget they are the worlds third largest retailer and that’s a pretty impressive fact in a country that seeks to love selling off our best assets to foreign companies

Yeah & what’s even more interesting is that they were voted the worst supermarket in the UK, profits are down with warnings issued & they’ve failed in the US (thank you recession & walmart), every cloud has a silver lining after all…:laughing:

By who exactly? And what makes them the worst? I think Asda and Morrisons are much worse, Asda supermarkets are like a bloody jumble sale. And why like Walmart over Tesco? All this hate for Tesco on here and all it seems to stem from is the fact they make you sit in a room and take their time. Pretty much like most RDCs then. Ive also done lots of agency work in Tesco and again, no better or worse than any other big company. Tesco are doing ok. Profits down is hardly the end of the world. You haven’t seen the back of them yet. The US isn’t the be all and end all, there’s a lot of international markets they are big in where Walmart doesn’t get a look in. And lets face it, for all their billions and billions of dollars they haven’t been able to push Asda past Tesco in the UK.

Weekend working at ASDA sites have been the norm for years. I worked at the ADC in Washington, started in 2002, and we worked 4 shifts in 7. This meant we worked every other weekend for nothing extra, only paid extra after normal shift length. I don’t recall anyone being particularly bothered about it, especially as during the 12 week rota you got a stretch of 6 days off without using holidays.
As for shops being open all week I’ve just come back from holiday in the states, plenty places open 365 days a year. Will that happen here? Probably, it’s a simple matter of supply & demand.

I have a 10 week rota, 4 weekends off in 10 one of which is a long weekend and 2 single rest days 1 Saturday and 1 Sunday and a couple of three and 4 day weeks.