weather warning

Weather forecasters are predicting chaos on the roads as Britain returns to work next week, with warnings of ice, sleet, and freezing temperatures.Piers Corbyn, from long-range forecasters WeatherAction, said: "The winds from Siberia are going to make it extremely cold - like the conditions we experienced in January 1987 where it was -12C (10.4F) in the south.

“The average temperature for January as a whole will be close to freezing - 0.8C (33.4F) at best.”

He added that temperatures could plummet to -17C (1.4F) in the Midlands.

The Highways Agency seem in agreement, having put hundreds of gritting vehicles on standby across the country.

But Stephen Davenport, senior meteorologist at MeteoGroup, the weather division of the Press Association, said: "Apocalyptic predictions verging on prophecies of a new Ice Age need to be put into perspective.

"There is no doubt at all that it will feel bitterly cold, especially on Thursday and particularly in the eastern half of Britain.

"Strong, raw winds from the east will bring a significant wind-chill and showers of sleet and snow. In the middle of winter such conditions are hardly unknown though, and in fact could be far, far worse. Indeed, some people in the western half of the country might be left wondering what all the fuss is about.

"By the weekend this brief freeze will have disappeared, as milder and occasionally wet and windy weather blasts in from the west.

“That will put winter on hold again for most areas until at least the middle of next week, although snow is possible for a time in the North on Sunday and Monday.”

Cor blimey - and we think its cold here.

Ive just come back from town (Benalmadena) to get the bread for lunch (Spanish lunch is later than yours) and the temperature displays in town show a measly 21 celsius in direct sunlight. Ive got me woolys on, fire on, and furry slippers!!

Im dreading loading up again and heading north, it gets dark damned early up there too.

OH GREAT :exclamation: :exclamation:
I’ve got day 1 of a 5 day course starting this Friday with 2 trainees on the artic and day 1 is on the airfield reversing etc - Me thinks that Me gonna be freezing :cry: :cry: :cry:

Nice one, my favourite kind of weather so at least I have something to look forward to now.

so that translates to-----Its gonna be cold and the numties in the cars will scrape a little ice from in front of them and drive up the road flat out till they want to stop and find the roads icy have a accident and then say I didnt think it was that icy…
or it could also mean it will be cold but we like to give you the worse case but more than likely it will be sunshine!!

Suppose I’d better get my thermals out then.

better get some more antifrezze in me motor then

OOooh! I’m glad I bought some more socks then.

I think Go Outdoors has a sale on at the moment :smiley:

So is this going to be the same as the U.S.A had t’other week ? I’m sure my late Dad always used to reckon that in the winter, whatever they got Stateside, we got 7 - 10 days later.

The Met office are forever predicting blizzards that never come, one day they’ll issue a warning and it will actually snow :open_mouth:

During my lifetime the country has only ever come to a complete standstill because of snow once, and that was 1962/63.

It started on 29th December, by the next day the snow was up to 15ft deep and the whole country was affected. Then in January temperature was down to minus 16c, this lasted throughout January - then the snow started again in February.

I lived 2 miles out from town and it took 6 weeks before a path was cut through the snow for pedestrian access. It wasn’t until March 6th (I think) that all the roads were open again.

I know there’s been a few blizzards since but none that have covered the entire country. Some of the older hands on here wont forget the winter of 62/63 in a hurry, I know I wont, we didnt have central heating or double glazing in our house :open_mouth: (the birth rate went up in 1964 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: )

but we still got to school!!

15 feet deep :laughing: get away with you :laughing: … you just had little legs and it seemed deeper :laughing: :wink:

JB:
15 feet deep :laughing: get away with you :laughing: … you just had little legs and it seemed deeper :laughing: :wink:

how did you know about that JB :blush: :blush: :blush:

Hi winds on Thursday oh GREAT sat on the docks waiting for the ferry :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :imp:

i came into the world in march 63,so thats why i like the cold?

Oh great!
So we will probably have 2 ins of snow and the usual gridlock as the country grinds to a standstill!!

The winter of 62/63, I was ten, 15 foot drifts were NOWT, I opened the door one morning to go for a knee banger (we had outside bogs) and i was just faced with a whitewall, we had to crap in a bucket till me dad could dig us out, the good old days.

Edward Teller:
The winter of 62/63, I was ten, 15 foot drifts were NOWT, I opened the door one morning to go for a knee banger (we had outside bogs) and i was just faced with a whitewall, we had to crap in a bucket till me dad could dig us out, the good old days.

LOL :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

“So we will probably have 2 ins of snow and the usual gridlock as the country grinds to a standstill”

Nar, totally out of scope. make that 2cm’s
( and the whole country grinds to a stand still )

Gess I need to put some extra coal on the wagon (to stoke the boiler) :wink:

It aint happened yet, I just walked home from the pub and Im sweating cobs :smiley: